• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Today I will be picking chillies
    Feeding chillies
    Ordering a new fishing reel
    Strimming goose run
    Making up goose house
    Filling goose pond.
    Cleaning out ferrets.
    All done except feed chillies. That's now tomorrow's job.
    And sorting out the chicken run ready for the new house arriving tomorrow and starting to convert their old house into their bad weather shelter/ indoor play ground.

Comment

• Monday's jobs
      Deadheading and weeding - done some
      Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries - done except blueberries
      Check peas, beans, beetroot, courgettes - harvested 1 courgette, the biggest so far, so these do appear to be growing a bit at last.
      Also harvested one of the quadgrow pots of Lady C potatoes, mainly to see how they are getting on as they are just starting to die back. There were 6 decent potatoes and a couple of smaller ones, 0.7kg in total from one seed potato.

Tuesday's jobs
      Rearrange the grow light garden as some of the seeds in the propagator are germinating
      Take photos. I like to do this on 1st of each month so I have a consistent record
      Do something with the top branches of the apple tree which are getting heavy and threatening to break
      Harvest blueberries and remove more caterpillars
      Weeding and deadheading
      Wash some plant pots
      Harvest cucumber, peppers, lettuce, peas, cabbage, carrots
      Check beans, courgettes
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday's jobs
        Rearrange the grow light garden as some of the seeds in the propagator are germinating - done
        Take photos. I like to do this on 1st of each month so I have a consistent record - done
        Do something with the top branches of the apple tree which are getting heavy and threatening to break - no
        Harvest blueberries and remove more caterpillars - done some
        Weeding and deadheading - done some
        Wash some plant pots - no
        Harvest cucumber, peppers, lettuce, peas, cabbage, carrots - done, including the cabbage, which was partly edible.
        Check beans, courgettes - couple of beans ready

Wednesday's jobs (rain permitting)
        Weeding and deadheading
        Experiment with apple tree to see what I can do with it (see below)
        Harvest lettuce, cucumber, peppers, peas
        Check courgettes

The issue with the apple tree is that a few years ago some very strong shoots grew upwards, and because I didn't know what to do with them I left them alone instead of cutting them off. These now have fruit on and because they form a V shape I am worried that the weight of the fruit will cause the plant to split at the V. The apples on these branches are some of the best on the tree, so I don't really want to take them off

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2374228
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• no reason not to help strengthen your apple. Tie something between the branches at a point where they don't bend too much ie use string or similar to make a 3rd side to your existing 2 branch triangle - if the while lot still feels unstable, tie it back to the fence high up or put in a temporary stake to take some of the weight. Obviously this lot should come off once you've picked the apples :-)

Comment

• Thanks nickdub, I've done as you suggest. Hopefully the apples will stay put, as it is forecast to get quite windy tomorrow, which is one of the reasons I was worried.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	2374229

Comment

• Today will be feeding chillies and toms, chopping off some tom foliage and going through my chillies plant by plant looking for caterpillars.. noticed some leaf damage and spotted two of the blasted things so will check them all thoroughly.
              Also going to take some seed trays down to the plot to sit my Giant marrows on to stop them rotting, and remove my pea frame and clear the debris.. then weekend will be catching back up on the weeding as I have been away for two weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                Thanks nickdub, I've done as you suggest. Hopefully the apples will stay put, as it is forecast to get quite windy tomorrow, which is one of the reasons I was worried.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75382[/ATTACH]

No worries - good luck with it - happens quite frequently with plums, as the wood is so brittle - I generally end up wrapping some blue poly rope round the limbs - I've gone as far a as drilling through and putting in a permanent metal bolt a couple of times.

Comment

• Wednesday's jobs
                  Experiment with apple tree to see what I can do with it - done (see previous post)
                  Harvest lettuce, cucumber, peppers, peas - done
                  Check courgettes - ate 2 small ones

Also harvested the Desiree potato which was one left over and was planted in an 11 litre pot. This had never looked particularly happy and had now died down completely. There were 7 small potatoes weighing a total of just 0.2kg, which was very disappointing.

Thursday was impossibly busy and nothing got done in the garden except a quick dash to grab a cucumber for tea.

Friday's jobs
                  Walk round and check everything, water pots if required
                  Deadheading and weeding
                  Pot up beetroot and a couple of late tomato sideshoots (to go on windowsill)
                  Try to remove more caterpillars from blueberries
                  Harvest lettuce, cucumber, peppers, beans, peas, blueberries
                  Check courgettes
                  Plan weekend gardening.

Comment

• soooo much - I am so far behind I don't know how I'm ever going to catch up.

To add to the constant weed issue, a whole load of horsetail has just popped up from nowhere. I've also noticed that the garden opposite is full of bindweed so I'm waiting for that to arrve next. Wonderful!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                      soooo much - I am so far behind I don't know how I'm ever going to catch up.

To add to the constant weed issue, a whole load of horsetail has just popped up from nowhere. I've also noticed that the garden opposite is full of bindweed so I'm waiting for that to arrve next. Wonderful!!
                      When I have a job that looks too big or daunting I chop it up into manageable bits and concentrate on one at a time. Horsetail is an almighty pain, and you'll probably find that the best you can do is pull out as much as you can when it appears. Can you cover apart of the plot with cardboard or plastic to suppress the weeds while you deal with the rest?

Comment

• Friday's jobs
                        Walk round and check everything, water pots if required - done, some pots were surprisingly dry, probably due to the strong wind yesterday
                        Pot up beetroot and a couple of late tomato sideshoots (to go on windowsill) - done the beetroot, one tomato was rotting and had no roots so I left the other alone for a bit.
                        Try to remove more caterpillars from blueberries - no
                        Harvest lettuce, cucumber, peppers, beans, peas, blueberries - done except blueberries
                        Check courgettes - not ready yet
                        Plan weekend gardening - done

Also put the fruit cage back together as the wind had forced one of the joints apart and tied in the tomatoes.
                        Harvested one of the potatoes from the Quadgrow vegetable planter (Lady C) for an astonishing 1.4kg of nice big potatoes from a single seed potato. The sides of the pot were actually bulging! To put this in context, the average yield of Lady C per seed potato from the ones I grew in buckets was 0.47kg.

Comment

• This weekend

At my friend's:
                          One of the cam straps on the hotbin has broken and the compost is falling out, so most of this weekend's jobs will be focussed on sorting that out.
                          Cut back bush so I can get at hotbin properly
                          Clear old peas or find somewhere else to dump compost
                          Dig out rotted compost and replace cam strap
                          Harvest potatoes
                          Weeding
                          Fill self watering trays in greenhouse

At home
                          Mow lawns before it rains again
                          Move brassica seedlings to fruit cage as grow light garden is too hot
                          Weeding and deadheading
                          Sow chinese celery and more kohlrabi (only 1 germinated)
                          Remove more caterpillars from blueberries and pick the ripe ones
                          Harvest cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, peas
                          Check courgettes, beans, beetroot, brassicas under shelving
                          Dispose of some of the old strawberry plants and french beans that have probably finished.

Comment

• This weekend

At my friend's:
                            One of the cam straps on the hotbin has broken and the compost is falling out, so most of this weekend's jobs will be focussed on sorting that out.
                            Cut back bush so I can get at hotbin properly
                            Clear old peas or find somewhere else to dump compost
                            Dig out rotted compost and replace cam strap
                            Harvest potatoes - done
                            Weeding - done
                            Fill self watering trays in greenhouse - done

I decided to leave the compost where it is and just secure the panel with a new strap, because there really wasn't anywhere sensible to put the compost and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Time was better spent weeding.

At home
                            Mow lawns before it rains again - done
                            Move brassica seedlings to fruit cage as grow light garden is too hot - done
                            Sow chinese celery and more kohlrabi (only 1 germinated) - no
                            Remove more caterpillars from blueberries and pick the ripe ones - done some
                            Harvest cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, peas - done
                            Check courgettes, beans, beetroot, brassicas under shelving - done, harvested some courgettes and beans
                            Dispose of some of the old strawberry plants and french beans that have probably finished - no

Also potted up some cabbages, mizuna and namenia

Monday's jobs (likely to be busy at work)
                            Collect rain water for blueberries
                            Slug and snail hunt
                            Check and secure plant supports ready for gales on Wednesday
                            Remove more caterpillars from blueberries and harvest
                            Sow chinese celery and kohlrabi
                            Deadheading and weeding
                            Trim lawn edges if dry enough
                            Harvest lettuce and salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, beans

Comment

• Monday's jobs
                              Collect rain water for blueberries - done, bin now full
                              Slug and snail hunt - done
                              Check and secure plant supports ready for gales on Wednesday - done
                              Remove more caterpillars from blueberries and harvest - no
                              Sow chinese celery and kohlrabi - done
                              Trim lawn edges if dry enough - no
                              Harvest lettuce and salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, beans - done

Also harvested another of the quadgrow pots of Lady C potatoes for 0.85kg from 1 seed potato. As the main stem of this plant got broken in the wind fairly early on, I was pleased with this.

Too wet to plan to do anything very much today.
                              Last edited by Penellype; 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                                When I have a job that looks too big or daunting I chop it up into manageable bits and concentrate on one at a time. Horsetail is an almighty pain, and you'll probably find that the best you can do is pull out as much as you can when it appears. Can you cover apart of the plot with cardboard or plastic to suppress the weeds while you deal with the rest?
                                I'm just prioritising what I can when I can - none of its the end of the world (or at least thats what I keep telling myself )

I've just bought a load of weed membrane actually to roll out to cover all the undug bits - I wanted to use black polythene weighted down with the millions of rocks and bricks we've dug out, but OH was not keen so we've settled on membrane and pegs. My plan then is to plant my brassicas through it over winter - should hopefully give us a bit of a head start for next year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X