This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by damian1225 View Post
    I miss my ferrets, do you work yours or are they pets?, I used to go rabbiting with mine.. happy memories!
    They are great little caricatures aren't they. Yeah we work them. We haven't for the last 12 months though unfortunately because there's been myxomatosis outbreak again. We didn't want our ferrets laying up next to a sick rabbit and needing to be dug out. A lot of the places around here are very sandy and the warrens can be well over 10ft deep, that takes some digging!
    Bunny numbers seem to be building again now so hopefully this Autumn we should be able too start again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      They are great little caricatures aren't they. Yeah we work them. We haven't for the last 12 months though unfortunately because there's been myxomatosis outbreak again. We didn't want our ferrets laying up next to a sick rabbit and needing to be dug out. A lot of the places around here are very sandy and the warrens can be well over 10ft deep, that takes some digging!
      Bunny numbers seem to be building again now so hopefully this Autumn we should be able too start again.
      really daft question, are there any legalities regarding ferreting for rabbits ? I remember the excitement of it as a child but am amazed that in a country where you can get into into trouble for letting your dog give a funny look at a rabbit , or god forbid a fox, that they haven't got around to banning ferreting yet.

Comment

• Just need landowners permission to remove rabbits as they are classed as vermin. I believe you can still go ratting with Jack Russell's, even though any form of hunting with dogs is illegal, bit of a mine field really.

Comment

• Rabbits and rats are still ok with dogs (Hares are not allowed), and rabbiting with ferrets is still legal, just need permission from the landowner.

Apologies for going off topic a bit

Comment

• Wednesday's jobs:
            Deadheading and weeding - done some
            Extend canes for sitting room tomatoes so they don't fall over (again) - no
            Harvest large courgette and make soup - done
            Check everything is secure (gales on Friday, may not have time tomorrow) - done
            Check and water anything that is getting dry - done

Also harvested beans, blueberries, carrots and tomatoes

Struggling to get much done this week - busy as usual today.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Earthing up the caulis (and weeding them the while). Some are decidedly bendy.

Tie up the main toms.

Water.

Comment

• Did manage to extend the stakes for the tomatoes today, which was getting urgent. Also moved the mizuna and namenia seedlings outside, into the fruit cage temporarily.

Friday jobs (these could take all weekend)
                Harvest last tub of Lady C potatoes from quadgrow.
                Empty quadgrow and put away.
                Put saladgrow planter where quadgrow is and fill with compost for brassicas
                Construct net to fit over saladgrow
                Plant mizuna and namenia seedlings in saladgrow.
                In order to get at the saladgrow I will need to tidy the garage as currently I can hardly get in.
                Harvest courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, beans
                Watering if required and remember to water my friend's polytunnel as she is away.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• It's August 18th, the best day to sow overwintering onion seed (according to Realseeds)! So I'll have to do that. But first I'll need to buy a bag of MPC for the module trays, while I'm there I can buy the last 4 bags of topsoil that I need to finish filling my raised bed.
                  Some more salad seed sowing needs to be done as well!
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• I'm ordering my wild chillies today so I can overwinter - hopefully they should be set to flower next year then

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      I don't plan to do much at all today, might sit in the garden and watch the butterflies.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	BF4_emoticon_butterfly.gif
Views:	2
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2374495 Sounds like a perfect plan
                      “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
                      - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                        It's August 18th, the best day to sow overwintering onion seed (according to Realseeds)! So I'll have to do that.
                        - DONE. 20 modules of Sturon, 20 modules of Augusta, 5 seeds in each module.

But first I'll need to buy a bag of MPC for the module trays, while I'm there I can buy the last 4 bags of topsoil that I need to finish filling my raised bed.
                        - DONE.

Some more salad seed sowing needs to be done as well!
                        - Not done. The rain stopped me. Maybe tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Martin H; 18-08-2017, 07:59 PM.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Friday jobs
                          Harvest last tub of Lady C potatoes from quadgrow. - done 1.45kg potatoes from 1 seed potato
                          Empty quadgrow and put away - done
                          Put saladgrow planter where quadgrow is and fill with compost for brassicas - done
                          Construct net to fit over saladgrow - done
                          Plant mizuna and namenia seedlings in saladgrow - done
                          In order to get at the saladgrow I will need to tidy the garage as currently I can hardly get in - done a bit
                          Harvest courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, beans - done
                          Watering if required and remember to water my friend's polytunnel as she is away - done

Had fun dodging the showers, and constructing the net was quite a puzzle as I only had various offcuts left, but managed it eventually.

Comment

• This weekend

At my friend's:
                            Lift some onions and move into garage to dry
                            Remove finished peas
                            Lots of weeding
                            Feed melons (there are at least 6 fruit forming!!!)
                            Watering including my friend's pots and polytunnel
                            Harvest courgettes, tomatoes and cucumbers

At home:
                            Weeding and deadheading
                            Sort out and tidy garage
                            Sow salad greens
                            Harvest courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, beetroot, blueberries, spinach
                            Check calabrese, peas
                            Make curry sauce to freeze (uses up courgettes, tomatoes and peppers, but I don't think I'll try adding the glut of cucumbers!).

Comment

• Tomorrow's list;

Make a batch of blackberry and apple jam- done, but not yet scraped the charcoal from the bottom of the pan... Fingers crossed the jam won't taste burnt!

Water greenhouse -done
                              Weeding at allotment- done Enough for today
                              Get to train station by 3pm for a 2day trip to Edinburgh festival :-) - done, shame the train is running late
                              Last edited by Chestnut; 20-08-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• This weekend

At my friend's:
                                Lift some onions and move into garage to dry - done some
                                Remove finished peas - no
                                Lots of weeding - done loads including an overgrown raised bed
                                Feed melons (there are at least 6 fruit forming!!!) - done, and supported the 2 biggest fruit with old hairnets
                                Watering including my friend's pots and polytunnel - done
                                Harvest courgettes, tomatoes and cucumbers - done

At home:
                                Weeding and deadheading - done some
                                Sort out and tidy garage - done quite a bit
                                Sow salad greens - no (sowed spring cabbage instead)
                                Harvest courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, beetroot, blueberries, spinach - done most including a couple of late strawberries
                                Check calabrese, peas - done, ate the calabrese
                                Make curry sauce to freeze (uses up courgettes, tomatoes and peppers, but I don't think I'll try adding the glut of cucumbers!) - done

Monday jobs
                                Weeding (including drive) and deadheading
                                Sow salad greens, turnips
                                Pot up kale, cabbages, kohlrabi seedlings
                                Harvest salads, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, beans, beetroot, cucumber, spinach, blueberries

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X