X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday jobs:
    Weeding and deadheading - done some deadheading
    Harvest as many blueberries as possible and freeze - done some
    Harvest salads, tomatoes, beetroot, pak choi - done plus some beans and carrots and one ripe strawberry.
    Slug hunt - done

Also went to the garden centre (needed a birthday present for a friend) and bought some bedding plants for the front garden as the pansies have nearly finished.

Tuesday's jobs
    Busy again tomorrow unfortunately
    The biggest question is, how bad is tomorrow night's wind going to be. The forecast runs range from base winds of 25mph and gusts upto 40mph to base winds of 40mph and gusts upto 60mph. My fruit cage will cope with the first of these, but I haven't a clue if it will cope with the higher range wind speeds. If I take off the net there is no way I will be able to get it back on again before the birds strip off the rest of the blueberries, which are blue but not yet ripe. All eyes will be on the wind speeds in tomorrow's updates.
    Weeding and deadheading if time
    Pot up some of the bedding plants to go on the fence if time
    Harvest salads, tomatoes, blueberries
    Slug hunt
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday's jobs
      Weeding and deadheading - done
      Pot up some of the bedding plants to go on the fence if time - done Also potted up the heuchera.
      Harvest salads, tomatoes, blueberries - done + a courgette
      Slug hunt - done

I decided to leave the net on the fruit cage as it has detachable clips at the top which are supposed to unclip if the wind gets too strong. Gusts apparently got to 44mph here last night and when I checked this morning the clips had indeed come off the frame. The frame was undamaged and only minor repairs were required to the net. There are still blueberries on the bushes but a couple of kale plants that are on the shelf over the carrots are badly squashed. Hopefully they will survive. Amazingly most of the apples are still on the tree.

Wednesday's jobs
      Check nets and melon cloche at my friend's - the melon cloche is in a very exposed place and the melons are tied to the frame, so there could be considerable damage but I couldn't think of any way of preventing it.
      Weeding and deadheading
      Harvest salads, tomatoes, beans, calabrese, carrots, blueberries
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Wednesday's jobs
        Check nets and melon cloche at my friend's - done, the melons and cloche are fine
        Weeding and deadheading - done some, manged to deadhead the crocosmia under the front window, which is quite a big job.
        Harvest salads, tomatoes, beans, calabrese, carrots, blueberries done some

Also managed to harvest the remaining onions which are now in the garage drying, and put a net up on that part of the veg garden, so my kohlrabi now has a bit more light.

Today, as usual on a Thursday, was a complete non starter, and tomorrow is looking fairly booked up too.

Friday's jobs (if time)
        Weeding and deadheading
        Harvest a bucket of Sarpo Mira potatoes if it is dry enough
        Harvest salads, beans, carrots, blueberries, apples if ripe.

Comment

• Today I'm collecting some more pansy & antirrhinum seeds
          I might go and do a couple of hours payed gardening
          I'll make the rest up as I go along like normal

Comment

• Friday's jobs
            Weeding and deadheading - done a little
            Harvest a bucket of Sarpo Mira potatoes if it is dry enough - no
            Harvest salads, beans, carrots, blueberries, apples if ripe - just time to snatch some beans, a bolting leek and a few blueberries for tea.

This weekend
            At my friend's:
            Check greenhouse tomatoes and remove any mouldy bits
            Plenty of weeding
            Harvest 2 buckets of Sarpo Mira potatoes that have died down
            Check melons for ripeness
            Harvest cucumber, tomatoes, courgettes, cabbage, kohlrabi, beetroot as required

At home:
            Weeding and deadheading
            Mow lawns if dry enough (doubtful)
            Trim lawn edges
            Harvest bucket of Sarpo potatoes
            Tidy up clematis (parts are dying back after being thrashed about in the gale)
            Move fennel seedlings outside to harden off.
            Harvest lettuce, tomatoes, pak choi, spinach, beans, florence fennel, blueberries
            Check apples, strawberries

Comment

• Dead heading & cut back the flowers on the white echinaceas

Comment

• This weekend
                At my friend's:
                Check greenhouse tomatoes and remove any mouldy bits - done for now
                Plenty of weeding - done mainly nettles and brambles
                Harvest 2 buckets of Sarpo Mira potatoes that have died down - no, too wet
                Check melons for ripeness - not ripe yet (need some sun!)
                Harvest cucumber, tomatoes, courgettes, cabbage, kohlrabi, beetroot as required - done

At home:
                Weeding and deadheading - done some
                Mow lawns if dry enough (doubtful) - far too wet
                Trim lawn edges - ditto
                Harvest bucket of Sarpo potatoes - too wet
                Tidy up clematis (parts are dying back after being thrashed about in the gale) - no
                Move fennel seedlings outside to harden off - no, decided to leave them until after tonight, which could be quite cold.
                Harvest lettuce, tomatoes, pak choi, spinach, beans, florence fennel, blueberries - done some
                Check apples, strawberries - done

This weekend didn't quite go to plan, particularly at home. Both afternoons were wet and there were also showers in the mornings. I did manage to dig out some of the small alchemilla which was smothering my cyclamen, but apart from that it was mostly a case of nipping out in between the showers to cut off a few dead heads or grab something to eat.

I also spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen, making and freezing some runner bean puree made from the beans that had got too big and some fennel and lemon risotto.

Monday's jobs (weather and work permitting)
                Mow lawns if at all possible (unlikely)
                Sort through stored Lady C potatoes and use the ones that are starting to sprout
                Weeding and deadheading
                Harvest salads, blueberries, tomatoes, spinach, courgettes
                Last edited by Penellype; 18-09-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Today - 18th September, its Monday in Shoots week.
                  On Mondays I sow seeds and, because its Shoots week, they will be onions of some sort.
                  Since its the 18th, I weed Bed 18
                  The 18th letter of the alphabet is R so I shall do summat that involves R (raspberries, roses maybe) and I will declutter something Rish.

Still with me?

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Today - 18th September, its Monday in Shoots week.
                    On Mondays I sow seeds and, because its Shoots week, they will be onions of some sort.
                    Since its the 18th, I weed Bed 18
                    The 18th letter of the alphabet is R so I shall do summat that involves R (raspberries, roses maybe) and I will declutter something Rish.

Still with me?
                    How can you keep track of things,you lost me at 18th. September
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• R is for Remembering, rary, Reading and Riting, Rituals and rhubarb, Routine and rigmarole, rambling and rubbish, refusing to rant and

its ritten in my Diary

Comment

• R is for,,,,,,,rary
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Tomorrow I will be harvesting, taste testing and feeding chillies.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Today - 18th September, its Monday in Shoots week.
                            On Mondays I sow seeds and, because its Shoots week, they will be onions of some sort. DONE -2 varieties of leeks and some spring onions
                            Since its the 18th, I weed Bed 18 DONE and Bed 17 that I missed yesterday
                            The 18th letter of the alphabet is R so I shall do summat that involves R (raspberries, roses maybe) DONE - Weeded the Rhubarb Room
                            and I will declutter something Rish. DONE - Road Atlas from 2007!!

Still with me?
                            Tomorrow is Tuesday the 19th in Shoots week
                            Tuesday is Chooksday when I clean out their kennel, top up their feed, etc
                            On the 19th I weed bed 19 and do summat with things beginning with S (strawberries need pruning and runners potted up - maybe).
                            I'll declutter something Sish.
                            Still confused?

Comment

• YES and what do you do on the 27th. etc.
                              Tomorrow I intend to fill my third builders bag, 2nd. in place
                              Last edited by rary; 18-09-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Bed 27 and whatever Roots, Shoots, Fruits, or Leaves week it is.
                                Days 27 - 31 are alphabet wild card days. It all starts again on the 1st of the month.
                                There is a plan in there somewhere, honest

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X