• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday jobs
    Weeding (including drive) and deadheading - done
    Sow salad greens, turnips - done
    Pot up kale, cabbages, kohlrabi seedlings - done
    Harvest salads, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, beans, beetroot, cucumber, spinach, blueberries - done most of these

Tuesday jobs
    I was hoping to mow the lawns today but un-forecast overnight rain and persistent drizzle this morning means they are too wet, as are the onions I was going to lift and dry.
    Harvest last 2 tomatoes (for now) from sitting room windowsill and cut down old plant.
    Check courgettes (got missed yesterday) and harvest.
    Check strawberry plants for tortrix moth caterpillars and ripe fruit
    Harvest salads, outdoor tomatoes, peppers, beans, spinach, blueberries
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
      Harvest last 2 tomatoes (for now) from sitting room windowsill and cut down old plant - done
      Check courgettes and harvest - done, more ready soon
      Check strawberry plants for tortrix moth caterpillars and ripe fruit - ongoing. The little b***s are everywhere. I've caught about 15 moths in the fruit cage, cut infested leaves off the strawberries, blueberries and currants, and noticed they are also all over the japanese maple tree
      Harvest salads, outdoor tomatoes, peppers, beans, spinach, blueberries - done most plus beetroot (bolting) and 2 partly edible strawberries

Wednesday jobs (rain forecast)
      Deadheading and weeding
      Continue removing tortrix moths and caterpillars
      Harvest tomatoes, peppers, beetroot, beans, spinach, blueberries
      Last edited by Penellype; 23-08-2017, 07:51 AM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
        Deadheading and weeding - managed some before the torrential rain started
        Continue removing tortrix moths and caterpillars - caught another 5 moths, this time ones that were flying round the garden.
        Harvest tomatoes, peppers, beetroot, beans, spinach, blueberries - did tomatoes and beans.

Busy tomorrow and unlikely to have time to garden although I may get a chance to drop into Wyevale

Comment

• Work took over for the rest of the week and all I've managed to do is a bit of deadheading.

This weekend

At my friend's:
          Check tomatoes in greenhouse and remove anything with signs of grey mould
          Weeding
          Remove old peas
          Check onions and harvest any that are ready
          Harvest potatoes, beans, courgettes, tomatoes, cucumbers

At home:
          Weeding and deadheading
          Mow lawns and cut edges
          Catch as many tortrix moths as possible
          Harvest tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, beans, beetroot, lettuce, pak choi, spinach, carrots, blueberries
          Check broccoli, peas, onions

Comment

• This weekend

At my friend's:
            Check tomatoes in greenhouse and remove anything with signs of grey mould - done for now (it will be back)
            Weeding - done some
            Remove old peas - done some
            Check onions and harvest any that are ready - done
            Harvest potatoes, beans, courgettes, tomatoes, cucumbers - done

At home:
            Weeding and deadheading - done some
            Mow lawns and cut edges -done (front edges to do)
            Catch as many tortrix moths as possible - ongoing
            Harvest tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, beans, beetroot, lettuce, pak choi, spinach, carrots, blueberries - done most
            Check broccoli (I meant calabrese), peas, onions - peas about ready, ate a couple of calabrese spears.

Also sowed some corn salad.

Monday (work permitting)
            Deadheading
            Finish off weeding awkward corner of gravel near garage (grows thick covering of moss and liverwort)
            Front lawn edges to straighten
            Sow spinach, peas for pea shoots
            Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes
            Bring in any onions that look ready (it may rain tonight)
            Harvest some of: blueberries, salads, courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, peas, beetroot, spinach, pak choi, carrots
            Check apples, beans
            Last edited by Penellype; 28-08-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Weed the leeks while I can still find them

Comment

• Monday
                Deadheading - done some
                Finish off weeding awkward corner of gravel near garage (grows thick covering of moss and liverwort) - done
                Front lawn edges to straighten - no
                Sow spinach, peas for pea shoots - done
                Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes - done, 1.05kg from 3 seed potatoes, a bit disappointing.
                Bring in any onions that look ready - done
                Harvest some of: blueberries, salads, courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, peas, beetroot, spinach, pak choi, carrots - done some
                Check apples, beans - done

Tuesday's jobs:
                Weeding & deadheading if possible.
                Unlikely to be able to do much as there are noisy road works outside my house which makes gardening very unpleasant at times. Wednesday is likely to be a write-off too.

Comment

• Only managed to do a bit of watering yesterday.

Thursday's jobs
                  Weeding and deadheading
                  Lift a few more onions that have died down
                  Plant out kohlrabi
                  Harvest salads, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, beans, spinach, blueberries

Comment

• Thursday's jobs
                    Weeding and deadheading - done some
                    Lift a few more onions that have died down - done some
                    Plant out kohlrabi - done
                    Harvest salads, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, beans, spinach, blueberries - done most
                    + watering

Friday's jobs (depending on time available)
                    Weeding and deadheading and general tidy up
                    September photos
                    Front lawn edges
                    Harvest salads, tomatoes, peas, beans, spinach, blueberries
                    Check courgettes, calabrese, apples

Comment

• Mucking out my house
                      Going to work (mucking out a holiday cottage)
                      Coming home playing nice with THE FAMILY

Comment

• Getting back into this now - and I have a new plan

Tomorrow is Friday in Fruits week (that's Day 19/S) so I must :-

Feed the tomatoes
                        Deadhead some flowers
                        Give the houseplants a dust and a bit of tlc
                        Weed Bed 19
                        Pull up some Sticky Willy
                        Cut the dead leaves off the strawberries

Might be best if you don't ask me to explain this new cunning plan! There is method in my madness - honest

Comment

• Friday's jobs
                          Weeding and deadheading and general tidy up - done some
                          September photos - done
                          Front lawn edges - no
                          Harvest salads, tomatoes, peas, beans, spinach, blueberries - done some
                          Check courgettes, calabrese, apples - done

The best laid plans...
                          I went out to do the photos and looked at the Desiree potato plants. There were brown patches on some of the leaves that could easily be blight. At that point any thoughts of spending time doing lawn edges disappeared and I spent the morning chopping down the potato foliage and chopping it fine to go in the hotbin then harvesting the potatoes. There were 2.5kg in one bucket and 2.55kg in the other, which was pleasing after most of the earlier harvests of Desiree had been bitterly disappointing.
                          Checked the tomato plants carefully, and so far, touch wood, they look ok.
                          Last edited by Penellype; 01-09-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Getting back into this now - and I have a new plan

Tomorrow is Friday in Fruits week (that's Day 19/S) so I must :-

Feed the tomatoes DONE
                            Deadhead some flowers DONE
                            Give the houseplants a dust and a bit of tlc DONE
                            Weed Bed 19 DONE - and I planted a load of bolted leeks in it [ATTACH=CONFIG]76151[/ATTACH]
                            Pull up some Sticky Willy DONE
                            Cut the dead leaves off the strawberries DONE
                            Tomorrow is Saturday in Fruits week (Day 20/T)

I must:-
                            Weed Bed 20/T and that's a big job as its very overgrown Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9044.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	2374810
                            Plant a Quince tree
                            Pull up some thistles
                            Thin out the tomatoes in 2 GHs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Tomorrow we are due full sun all day! So, with the sunlotion in hand I am hoping to:
                              - paint the new wooden planter that I bought today - it needs a second coat of wood protection and then lined with plastic
                              - plant up said wooden planter with bulbs and some of the plants I've bought recently
                              - plant up the living salads that I bought today
                              - re-pot some houseplants that have grown out of their current pots ( I really must buy some more house plant pots too)
                              - pick the apples off my tree
                              - mix pimms
                              - lay in the sun!!
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Taking two wee grandsons on a Dinosaur hunt in Glasgow Botanic gardens, so if they've not trashed the place I might get to see the plants too(that's my grandkids trashing the place not the Dinosaurs lol).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X