Set up cover for melons and plant out - done
    Tackle the paths if not too hot - far too hot
    Watering - done for today

At home:
    Rearrange brassica seedlings - done some
    Cut down calabrese - done 2nd of 3 plants
    Finish trimming strawberries - far too hot
    Sort out garage and put things away - done some
    Get rid of stuff into hotbin including shredding some cardboard packaging - done some
    Sow swede in paper pots - done
    Put more runner beans to chit - done
    Deadheading - done some
    Plan sowings and planting spaces for July - in progress

Also done today:
    Mulched the outdoor tomatoes in the hope of retaining a bit more moisture
    Moved one of the Balconi tomatoes outdoors as it has finished its first flush of fruit and potted it up into its balconniere pot
    Planted the runner beans
    Tied in cucumbers and tomatoes
    Harvested peas, lettuce, tomatoes, herbs, strawberries and wild strawberries

Jobs for tomorrow (heat and work permitting)
    Continue tidying the garage and shredding the cardboard
    Pot up lettuce seedlings
    Find a home for 2 chinese cabbages that are about to outgrow the grow lights
    Cut down the last old calabrese plant
    Sow swede in bucket 39 and make a net for it (the ones I did today are to go to my friend's)
    Weed and mulch leeks
    Sort out the strawberries and runners
    Harvest the replanted Lady C potatoes
    Prune white currant cordon
    Finalize July plans
    Harvest cabbage, tomatoes, peas, strawberries and blackcurrants if ready
    Watering
    Last edited by Penellype; 18-06-2017, 07:48 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have no plans for tomorrow except to garden in the shade and water the greenhouses.
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-06-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I didn't sow the brassicas last time I was down so I'll get to doing that tomorrow.

My Butts leaky and I think I'll have to drain it and replace the tap so I'll see if I can pump my butt tomorrow.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Digging out the soil round old shed base and getting to work with the concrete breaker
          needless to say I will be very glad that corner of the garden gets shade in late afternoon, and probably find a few 'cooler' jobs to be getting on with in whichever part of the house /garden is least likely to cook me

Comment

Today I intend to do one of the worst jobs in the garden, weed & tidy up the fruit!!!
            In the rain with my coat on ( and midgie cream ), there's no bl@@dy heat wave happening here.

Comment

Need to weed around my beetroot, chard parsnip bed think i'll leave that until this evening.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

For Thurs... possibly plant out leeks if weeds haven't taken over the world. But probably more likely a LOT of weeding ahead of being away at the weekend.

Comment

Jobs for today (heat and work permitting)
                  Continue tidying the garage and shredding the cardboard - done a bit
                  Pot up lettuce seedlings - done
                  Find a home for 2 chinese cabbages that are about to outgrow the grow lights - done
                  Cut down the last old calabrese plant - nope
                  Sow swede in bucket 39 and make a net for it - done
                  Weed and mulch leeks - weeded but not mulched
                  Sort out the strawberries and runners - done some
                  Harvest the replanted Lady C potatoes - done 0.25 kg small potatoes, bringing the total from this bucket to 1.65kg.
                  Prune white currant cordon - done
                  Finalize July plans - in progress
                  Harvest cabbage, tomatoes, peas, strawberries and blackcurrants if ready - done apart from the cabbage, which I couldn't face cooking.
                  Watering - done

Also pruned a bit more off the wiegela now it has finished flowering.
                  Attempted to scrape the blackfly off the nasturtiums again, but they are winning the battle
                  Hotbin is bursting at the seams again

Tomorrow (likely to be busier at work)
                  Continue to attempt to tidy the garage
                  Mulch the leeks
                  Sow florence fennel
                  Harvest tomatoes, strawberries and salads
                  Watering
                  Last edited by Penellype; 20-06-2017, 09:26 AM.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Tomorrow plan on getting some more compost and potting up the last toms and peppers.
                    Still a patch on the brassica bed to fill - don't know what with yet.

Too hot for digging so the bed will wait.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      Today I intend to do one of the worst jobs in the garden, weed & tidy up the fruit!!!
                      In the rain with my coat on ( and midgie cream ), there's no bl@@dy heat wave happening here.
                      Done

Before
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	2373217

After
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2373218

and the sun came out (about time )

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I have no plans for tomorrow except to garden in the shade and water the greenhouses.
                        DONE and tomorrow will be more of the same

Comment

[QUOTE=Chestnut;1539472]Digging out the soil round old shed base and getting to work with the concrete breaker
                          needless to say I will be very glad that corner of the garden gets shade in late afternoon, and probably find a few 'cooler' jobs to be getting on with in whichever part of the house /garden is least likely to cook me[/

Spent yesterday making shade curtains for greenhouse washing pots, watering and defrosting the freezer....
                          Today was much cooler and breezier, so have started digging.
                          Turns out the poured concrete only makes up about half the shed base- the rest is paving slabs and rubble, so much easier to get out :-)
                          Hoping to start with the breaker tomorrow !

Comment

Today's jobs (much busier at work)
                            Continue to attempt to tidy the garage - no time
                            Mulch the leeks - done
                            Sow florence fennel - done
                            Harvest tomatoes, strawberries and salads - done for today

Also managed to sow some lettuces, pot up the chitted runner beans, remove the finished Douce Provence peas, scrape more blackfly off the nasturtiums, put out the trays to collect any rain water and finished off the July plan.

Tomorrow we are forecast violent thunderstorms in the afternoon, which could well cramp my style. Jobs on the list are therefore weather dependant:
                            Continue to put things away in the garage
                            Deadheading
                            Peg down strawberry runners
                            Trim alchemilla and periwinkle which are encroaching on path
                            Harvest more strawberries, tomatoes, and possibly cabbage, turnips, 2 small french beans and/or carrots depending on heat and lightning.
                            Watering if required

The remaining calabrese plant has a reprieve for now as it has some shoots that look as though they are going to be edible. This is what happens when I don't do things when I am supposed to
                            Last edited by Penellype; 20-06-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                              Tomorrow plan on getting some more compost and potting up the last toms and peppers.
                              Still a patch on the brassica bed to fill - don't know what with yet.

Too hot for digging so the bed will wait.
                              Nope, not done. Got 1.5 bits done then got distracted by alliums

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I'm not very good at this planning lark... Still to do my leeks. Maybe if I give myself just one job, I'll do it.

Right: tomorrow I'm going to plant out my leeks. I'm not going to add "come hell or high water" just in case...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X