This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choices, choices

We really do need to plant up the new flower boarder OH and daughter created last week.
    Also weed the gravel driveway which I've not even started!
    (Think I should really have been doing that on Wednesday instead of playing around in water all afternoon)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Managed to get the bean wigwam up and plant out the beans this morning. Also took the large hanging shelf out of the polytunnel and tied in the tomatoes that were underneath.
      Discovered about 20 big snails hiding in amongst some stacked rocks next to my raised beds - that'll be where all my seedlings have been going then!
      He-Pep!

Comment

Today's jobs:
        Sow the last lot of peas (Geisha)
        Reorganize grow light garden (beans and last tomato sideshoot to go outside)
        Deal with the strawberry runners - peg some down and cut the others off
        Harvest another bucket of Lady C potatoes
        Go to the garden centre and try to find a couple more trailing plants for the front fence and some strong supports for the outdoor tomatoes at my friend's, plus another bag of compost.
        Reorganize the front fence a bit.
        Plan weekend jobs at my friend's.
        Harvest peas, strawberries, a couple of french beans and a few tiny calabrese shoots
        Cut down the calabrese before it tempts me to leave it any longer!
        Deadheading
        Watering including fill all the self watering reservoirs.
        Last edited by Penellype; 16-06-2017, 08:17 AM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Sort out the area where i pulled up the broad beans, and decided what's going there, weeding, planting out parsley and rocket,

Comment

Yesterday was a success

Today's plan is identical to VC's - which is weird as I'm at work until 5 - VC must have secret plans

I am hoping to get more planting / digging done at the weekend but we're rather busy with 'life' things - boo typical when its looking like a glorious weekend!

Comment

Hope you're not planning on picking MY strawberries Vixy
              Save yourself the journey - they're picked and mostly eaten

Comment

Yey!
                New border planted up!
                10ft x2ft.....All for free by splitting things from elsewhere in the garden!

The weeding of the drive will probably be started tomorrow.....

Hot innit?
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Today's jobs:
                  Sow the last lot of peas (Geisha) - done (10 pots of 5 seeds)
                  Reorganize grow light garden (beans and last tomato sideshoot to go outside) - done
                  Deal with the strawberry runners - peg some down and cut the others off - done some
                  Harvest another bucket of Lady C potatoes - done 1.25kg potatoes in this bucket
                  Go to the garden centre and try to find a couple more trailing plants for the front fence and some strong supports for the outdoor tomatoes at my friend's, plus another bag of compost. - got the compost and plants but not the supports.
                  Reorganize the front fence a bit - done
                  Plan weekend jobs at my friend's - to do this eve
                  Harvest peas, strawberries, a couple of french beans and a few tiny calabrese shoots - done
                  Cut down the calabrese before it tempts me to leave it any longer! - failed again
                  Deadheading - done some
                  Watering including fill all the self watering reservoirs - done for today

I was doing really well until the postman arrived with my new shelving. This was really impressive from Two Wests and Elliot. They were made to measure, not a standard size, and they were ordered at lunchtime on Wednesday. Needless to say, everything else came to a grinding halt while I worked out how to put one of them together. The other will have to wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow's jobs will appear later.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Turned out that round 2 had ended with a knock out so finished some of the jobs from the other day (move compost, fill bed, dismantle compost bin) and also the lavender from earlier on as well.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Tomorrow, harvest everything that's is ready, make sure everything is tidy, finale have a good water.

That way if it is nice on Sunday I will be of out with SWMBO...........
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Tomorrow's jobs:

At my friend's (morning)
                        Take snails and feed to chickens
                        Take french beans and cabbages, put beans in greenhouse and plant cabbages under net.
                        Tie in greenhouse tomatoes and remove side shoots.
                        Pot up final 2 greenhouse tomato plants
                        Remove old calabrese plant (yes there is one there too!)
                        Harvest a bucket of Charlotte potatoes and a cucumber
                        Take plastic cover off old hotbed (lettuce and beetroot) and fit it over new one ready for melons. Assess whether it is a good time to plant out melons (probably too hot).
                        Weeding
                        Put down weed suppressant on paths.
                        (Some of this may well have to wait until Sunday, especially if it is very hot)

At home (afternoon)
                        Put 2nd shelf unit together.
                        Make fitted insect mesh covers for both shelves (sewing required )
                        Rearrange strawberry plants onto new shelves and finish trimming them
                        Replace small net cover over brassicas with bigger one (replaced by new shelf) and put out broccoli and chinese cabbage seedlings.
                        Plant runner beans (requires moving pots of beetroot which are currently squatting on the access path)
                        Cut down the calabrese
                        Harvest salads, peas, cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes.
                        Take plastic cover off courgette plants so they don't cook.
                        Get rid of some more stuff into the hotbin.
                        Tidy garage again (currently full of cardboard packaging from the shelving)
                        Deadheading
                        Watering
                        (Again some of this will probably have to wait until Sunday)

Comment

Right, just gone through my seeds to decide what's going in the bed so tomorrow I've got some seeds to sow :-
                          1. Good King Henry,
                          2. Parsnip Tender & True,
                          3. Carrot Flyaway,
                          4. Okahijiki,
                          5. Scorzonera,
                          6. Rhubarb Chard,
                          7. Carrot Rondo
                          8. Salsify,
                          9. Poached Egg Plant,
                          10. Dandelion,
                          11. Runner Bean Pickwick,
                          12. Beetroot Boldor,
                          13. Beetroot Boltardy,
                          14. Beetroot Crosbys Egyptian,
                          15. Basil Thai,
                          16. Basil Holy,
                          17. Chicory Rossa Di Trevisa Precoce,
                          18. Caleduna Sherbet Fizz,
                          19. American Land Cress,
                          20. French Beans Canadian Wonder,
                          21. Spinach Samish,
                          22. Radicchio Palla Rossa Bella,
                          23. Nasturtium Alaska Mix,
                          24. Rocket Wild Trizia,
                          25. Root Chicory Chiavari,
                          26. Cardoon,
                          27. AsturianTree Cabbagel,
                          28. Jersey Kale,
                          29. Couve Galega
                          30. Kale Red Russian,
                          31. Kale Nero di Toscana

By poor dibbla is going to be worn out.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                            Right, just gone through my seeds to decide what's going in the bed so tomorrow I've got some seeds to sow :-
                            1. Good King Henry,
                            2. Parsnip Tender & True,
                            3. Carrot Flyaway,
                            4. Okahijiki,
                            5. Scorzonera,
                            6. Rhubarb Chard,
                            7. Carrot Rondo
                            8. Salsify,
                            9. Poached Egg Plant,
                            10. Dandelion,
                            11. Runner Bean Pickwick,
                            12. Beetroot Boldor,
                            13. Beetroot Boltardy,
                            14. Beetroot Crosbys Egyptian,
                            15. Basil Thai,
                            16. Basil Holy,
                            17. Chicory Rossa Di Trevisa Precoce,
                            18. Caleduna Sherbet Fizz,
                            19. American Land Cress,
                            20. French Beans Canadian Wonder,
                            21. Spinach Samish,
                            22. Radicchio Palla Rossa Bella,
                            23. Nasturtium Alaska Mix,
                            24. Rocket Wild Trizia,
                            25. Root Chicory Chiavari,
                            26. Cardoon,
                            27. AsturianTree Cabbagel,
                            28. Jersey Kale,
                            29. Couve Galega
                            30. Kale Red Russian,
                            31. Kale Nero di Toscana

By poor dibbla is going to be worn out.
                            I'd love to have room to try so many varieties. Very jealous!

I'm heading to my plot in the early evening to cut out all the powdery mildew leaves on my courgettes. While there I'll grab some beans and probably do a little weeding. If I have time, I'll put up a net for the goya to climb.

Comment

Today's jobs:

At my friend's (morning)
                              Take snails and feed to chickens - done
                              Take french beans and cabbages, put beans in greenhouse and plant cabbages under net. - done
                              Tie in greenhouse tomatoes and remove side shoots - done for now
                              Pot up final 2 greenhouse tomato plants - decided to wait - too hot
                              Remove old calabrese plant (yes there is one there too!) - done
                              Harvest a bucket of Charlotte potatoes and a cucumber - done
                              Take plastic cover off old hotbed (lettuce and beetroot) and fit it over new one ready for melons. Assess whether it is a good time to plant out melons (probably too hot). - not today
                              Weeding - done some
                              Put down weed suppressant on paths. - not today
                              (Some of this may well have to wait until Sunday, especially if it is very hot)

At home (afternoon)
                              Put 2nd shelf unit together - done
                              Make fitted insect mesh covers for both shelves (sewing required ) - done
                              Rearrange strawberry plants onto new shelves and finish trimming them - no
                              Replace small net cover over brassicas with bigger one (replaced by new shelf) - done
                              Put out broccoli and chinese cabbage seedlings - no
                              Plant runner beans (requires moving pots of beetroot which are currently squatting on the access path) - no, too hot
                              Cut down the calabrese - no
                              Harvest salads, peas, cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes - done all except cabbage
                              Take plastic cover off courgette plants so they don't cook - no, can't really get at it (and might need it later if we get hail!
                              Get rid of some more stuff into the hotbin - done some
                              Tidy garage again (currently full of cardboard packaging from the shelving) - no
                              Deadheading - no
                              Watering - done for today
                              (Again some of this will probably have to wait until Sunday)

Tomorrow
                              At my friend's
                              Weeding
                              Set up cover for melons and plant out
                              Tackle the paths if not too hot
                              Watering

At home:
                              Rearrange brassica seedlings
                              Cut down calabrese
                              Finish trimming strawberries
                              Sort out garage and put things away
                              Get rid of stuff into hotbin including shredding some cardboard packaging
                              Sow swede in paper pots
                              Put more runner beans to chit
                              Deadheading
                              Watering
                              Plan sowings and planting spaces for July
                              Last edited by Penellype; 17-06-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I wonder if this will keep me on the straight & narrow....?

Tomorrow I intend to:
                                - get up to the plot for 4am so I DEFINITELY get a go with the hose.got there at 6
                                - water both plots done
                                - nematode the potatoes brain still asleep - left in fridge
                                - feed the raspberries & dahlias - nope, tomorrow
                                - sort out the remaining planting in the greenhouse and decide whether to plant or bin spare tomatoes - already too hot, leaving to tomorrow
                                - pot on padrons, aubs, yacon - did aubs and yacon, padrons left
                                - plant out Murgatroyd, achocha & climbing beans - achocha & beans done
                                - sow brassicas for winter: turnips, red kale, PSB, swede nope
                                - sow salsify nope
                                - get rid of miserable broad bean plants and stick watermelons out in their place nope

So - this kinda helps. Would help more if I didn't sleep through my alarm...
                                Last edited by sparrow100; 18-06-2017, 07:31 PM.
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X