X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs for the weekend
    At my friend's:
    Put up a wire along the greenhouse ridge for the cucumbers to climb along - done
    Adjust stakes and tie in tomatoes, remove sideshoots - done for now
    Plant runner beans - done
    Weeding - done some
    Watering - done
    Harvest a bucket of Charlotte potatoes, cucumber - done

Also fed the greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers.

At home:
    Mow rear lawn - done
    Sort out more strawberries as they finish fruiting - done some
    Pot up more lettuces - nope
    Deadheading and possibly rearrange fence - done some deadheading
    Take cover off front blowaway - nope
    Pot up begonias - nope
    Watering - done
    Harvest tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, a few french beans, carrots, possibly cabbage, possibly courgette, strawberries, white currants - all except cabbage and currants. Also finished the turnips.

Got distracted...
    Sowed beetroot, spinach, mustard microgreens and put runner and french beans to chit.
    Had to find a space to put the buckets of beetroot and spinach which meant rearranging the hedge path and finding homes for some strawberries.
    Got rid of the vibrant strawberries (completely tasteless) which I have been meaning to do for years.
    Removed a row of peas (finished) and dismantled the supports to make room for beetroot.
    Managed to extract the (still wasp infested) cover from the blackcurrant bush and let the wasps out so I could put it away while it was dry.
    Potted up the 2 florence fennel plants that have germinated.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Today's jobs (depending on whether or not the forecast showers arrive)
      Pot up lettuces and begonias
      Plant the first of the chitted french beans
      Deadheading
      Rearrange fence - the problem here is the nasturtiums, which are looking really sick due to blackfly attack. They are planted in the same pot as beans and are attracting wasps and ants. I need to take the pots off the fence and remove the nasturtiums carefully, then decide what to do with the beans. Its the sort of job I hate, which is why I am putting it off!
      Remove cover from front growhouse if I can get at it (doubtful).
      Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, strawberries, white currants and possibly a few peas.
      Last edited by Penellype; 10-07-2017, 06:25 AM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Monday's jobs
        Pot up lettuces and begonias - done some of the lettuces
        Plant the first of the chitted french beans - done
        Deadheading - done some
        Rearrange fence - the problem here is the nasturtiums, which are looking really sick due to blackfly attack. They are planted in the same pot as beans and are attracting wasps and ants. I need to take the pots off the fence and remove the nasturtiums carefully, then decide what to do with the beans. Its the sort of job I hate, which is why I am putting it off! - see below
        Remove cover from front growhouse if I can get at it (doubtful) - nope
        Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, strawberries, white currants and possibly a few peas - done except for currants

I had to do something with the nasturtiums - there was one live shoot left from 4 plants and that was smothered in blackfly. The ants (which I am really not keen on) are fascinating. The 2 pots of beans and nasturtiums were about as near to the middle of the fence as it is possible to get, both vertically and horizontally, about 3ft from the floor and 6ft from the end of the fence. The ants were climbing the end post of the fence as far as the middle plank, then walking along the top of it and over the metal hooks that held the planters onto the fence and climbing the nasturtiums. They weren't to be seen anywhere else on the fence. What I want to know is how on earth did they know how to get at the aphids?
        Anyway I managed to get the pots off the fence and remove the nasturtiums which went straight into the hotbin with their coating of blackfly. The beans were very badly infested and just starting to produce small beans. I sprayed them with a jet of soapy water and then with clean water for about 1/2 an hour, dislodging most of them, but they are still by any normal description badly infested. I put them on the ground under the hedge as I didn't want them near anything else edible.
        Nasturtiums are supposed to decoy the blackfly and keep them off the beans. I have beans of the same variety hanging on the fence in the back garden and they have no nasturtiums and no blackfly, which I find interesting.
        I didn't rearrange the pots on the fence because the ants were running round looking for their aphids.

Tuesday's jobs (likely to be raining all day)
        Rearrange fence if possible, if ants have gone
        Pot up remaining lettuce seedlings.
        Inspect the beans and see if I think they are worth trying to save

Comment

• Tuesday's jobs (raining most of the day)
          Rearrange fence if possible, if ants have gone - done
          Pot up remaining lettuce seedlings - done
          Inspect the beans and see if I think they are worth trying to save - done still plenty of blackfly but looking better.

Harvested a yellow pepper.

Wednesday's jobs
          Give the beans another good spray (water) and see if I can dislodge the remaining blackfly
          Pot up the begonias
          Extend the pea canes in the buckets as the peas have reached the tops (I use cable ties)
          Deadheading and weeding
          Rearrange patio, which is still cluttered after hedge trimming
          Get rid of the one remaining calabrese from last year
          Check broccoli and brokali to see if they are ready to be planted in buckets
          Check drip trays, watering if required
          Sow pak choi
          Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes that has died down
          Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, any little bits of old calabrese, white currants, check beans, courgettes, strawberries, gooseberry and few remaining blackcurrants

Comment

• This weekend I MUST tidy up the tomatoes - its getting a bigger and bigger job every time I look at them

I also MUST feed my veg in pots - I keep putting it off

Comment

• Wednesday's jobs
              Give the beans another good spray (water) and see if I can dislodge the remaining blackfly - done, but not very successful
              Pot up the begonias - done
              Extend the pea canes in the buckets as the peas have reached the tops (I use cable ties) - done
              Deadheading and weeding - done some
              Rearrange patio, which is still cluttered after hedge trimming - nope
              Get rid of the one remaining calabrese from last year - nope
              Check broccoli and brokali to see if they are ready to be planted in buckets - needs doing
              Check drip trays, watering if required - done
              Sow pak choi - done
              Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes that has died down - done, 1.05kg potaotes (disappointing for Desiree)
              Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, any little bits of old calabrese, white currants, check beans, courgettes, strawberries, gooseberry and few remaining blackcurrants - done some of these

Also tied in tomatoes and removed sideshoots and managed to take the cover off the blowaway in the front garden so I can now use the top shelf

Thursday's jobs
              Attempt to tie back the potato foliage so I can get at the patio
              Get the cabbages out from under the strawberries so I can get at them to harvest and find somewhere to put them
              Pot up the broccoli and brokali and put them under the strawberries (I may have to pot them into intermediate pots if I can't get under the strawberries)
              Sort out patio if I can get at it
              Tidy up finished strawberry plants
              Harvest peas, beans, cabbage if possible, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, remaining blackcurrants, white currants
              Check courgettes, strawberries, blueberries and gooseberry
              Deadheading and weeding
              Watering
              Last edited by Penellype; 13-07-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Sit down and do very little, but the gutters needed cleaning, so I now need another shower, that'll be 3 today!!

Comment

• Before 11:30am Burnie? - that's one busy morning!!

Comment

• Going to sow some Swiss chard and turnips now. Then harvest veg for our tea.

Comment

• I am going to remember to take the battery as well as the strimmer

Comment

• Watch our neighbour's celebrate Bastille Day!

I may partake in the odd tipple or two...or threeeeee!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Thursday's jobs
                          Attempt to tie back the potato foliage so I can get at the patio - done
                          Get the cabbages out from under the strawberries so I can get at them to harvest and find somewhere to put them - done
                          Pot up the broccoli and brokali and put them under the strawberries - done
                          Sort out patio if I can get at it - sort of done
                          Tidy up finished strawberry plants - done some
                          Harvest peas, beans, cabbage if possible, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, remaining blackcurrants, white currants - done most including finished the blackcurrants
                          Check courgettes, strawberries, blueberries and gooseberry - most not ready yet
                          Deadheading and weeding - done for now
                          Watering - done for now

Also moved the newly germinated beans outside and some of the lettuces upstairs to make room for more seedlings.

Friday's jobs
                          Going to be busy today and will be lucky to have time for much more than watering.

Comment

• Today and tomorrow I will be removing my pea frame and clearing the area of where my peas have been, and some weeding so I can leave my plot weed free for the week that im on holiday and hopefully it wont be a jungle when I return, have got one of my plot neighbours to water whilst im away so thats one less worry

Comment

• A bit of paid gardening this morning ( I hate gardening when it's not mine, is that odd? ). Little breeze is coming with me today and we are going to have a nice 3 mile walk home, that should knacker him out.
                              Hopefully play in my garden this afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                I hate gardening when it's not mine, is that odd? ).
                                Haha I hate gardening in my own garden, but love going to the allotment.. if I cant eat what Im growing I dont want to know lol grass and hedges are just a chore that stop me getting to my allotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X