Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted up some pepper plants...went for a walk to find some allotments near to where i live..you know just looking.
    Last edited by Ms-T; 28-01-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Had hoped to get my first indoor sowing done today but realised I needed to do the VAT which always takes me longer than I think it will. Forgot to bring the compost in which could have been warming, only realised this evening so seeds will now wait till the morning. So total achievement is that I have two large heated props with seed trays and compost in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        ....sowed sweet-peas(22 pots of about 10 in each).... this year I WILL have sweet peas
        Yey!....some are germinating!....8 days after sowing,
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Managed to get a couple of beds covered with newspaper before putting down a layer of muck for spuds later in the year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan bed resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2370886
          That was about it before rain stopped play

Comment

Went to a meeting of the committee (showing my age - I always think of Wheeltappers and Shunters Club when I say that) at the allotment site. Then walked up to my plot and looked at it. Garlic is well up, being covered with manure pile for a short time did it no harm at all! Came home and ordered some seeds off t'internet. I shall start planting on Feb 1st

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
              Went to a meeting of the committee (showing my age - I always think of Wheeltappers and Shunters Club when I say that) at the allotment site. Then walked up to my plot and looked at it. Garlic is well up, being covered with manure pile for a short time did it no harm at all! Came home and ordered some seeds off t'internet. I shall start planting on Feb 1st
              My dear auld dad was a shunter!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Pruned apple tree, sowed first broad beans in GH, started building a palletwood compost bin, and finished off with a roast dinner

Comment

Done nothing over the plot except lug a few bags of manure and compost over there. I have however sorted all my seeds into groups, and have made a list of varieties etc. Need to get some sweetcorn and brocolli seed as the mice have eaten those.

Now for the million dollar question - Would you replace all the seeds? The mice have had a field day in the seed box, mainly nibbling at the outer paper seed packet. I know mice are incontinent, and it really skeeves me out, thinking of mouse wee on my seed packets!

Comment

Pigeon-proofed my polytunnel door with chicken wire - the bu**ers have been walking in and shredding my overwintered Spring cabbages!
                    He-Pep!

Comment

• Tidied up the allotment shed. What a mess! Started making a few shelves to organise it better, instead of just chucking stuff anywhere!

Comment

• Going under plastic

I got a big box of weed membrane for Xmas and a mini_orchard
                        The idea being to cover some ground and reduce the wear& tear on my body: the old pain in my back is affecting both arms + hands now, and CFS gives me only 3-4 hrs of energy per day

It's surprising how much you need: 40m x 2m of 125gsm weed fabric, £63

200 galvanised staple pegs, £24 ish

I spent a few hours melting the cut edges over a candle flame to prevent fraying

Half of it's down as paths & the (dwarf) apples, pear, plum and cherries are in (£120 for 6 trees).
                        I'd wanted to espalier them, but the posts etc would've added another £100+
                        £30 went on tree stakes, and I'll mulch them with 2yo homemade leafmold, and bury a piece of pipe so I can water straight to the roots.

An allotment, either costs you time, effort or money. I just can't do 30hr weeks up there any more
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Dug over a 'compost bin' that's been sitting on my plot growing a great crop of nettles, docks and bindweed for the last few years - it was quite satisfying as the soil is amazing and the roots just came out in great long strands when you pulled them. I'm going to dismantle the dilapidated bin and build a new one there, so not sure what to do with the soil -I expect it's full of weed seeds and tiny bits of nasty roots.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

• Chitted the spuds.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Finally got my first indoor seeds sown.
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1510991

Comment

• I planted the second tranche of chillis last night the first being planted 2 weeks ago and are already up. All Jalapeno's

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X