This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres rhe bottom end.
    When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Moved 3 blueberry's into new bed..took all day .now ready for my bed.

Comment

Moved the various planters off the bed that's going to be onions and mulched it then covered it with fleece. Removed about a dozen slugs of various sizes in the process.

Pruned the white currant bush (easy) and attempted to prune the apple tree (difficult) before rain stopped play.

Every time the forecasters say we are going to have a dry week it rains here. Pond is full, lawn is squelchy, path has puddles. And next week it is going to get wetter

Sowed some cress seeds.
        Last edited by Penellype; 17-01-2017, 06:12 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Oh and I discovered a rhubarb crown I didn't know was there and found labels on 3 of the gooseberries i'm ripping out.

Comment

Got to the plot just before dawn this morning and continued working on the asparagus bed decorative drainage system...

Attached Files
            He-Pep!

Comment

This morning I cleared the detritus from around my brassicas and top dressed with chicken manure pellets. Then I thought I might as well dress a few of the other beds too... and the compost bins, and the barrels that I grow my spuds in.
              He-Pep!

Comment

Covered over a few more pathways with weed suppressant fabric in readiness for the woodchip delivery, then got all overexcited about the warmth and the buds on my blueberries... Dug over the flower sprout bed and sowed a few broad beans and some coriander. Got excited about mystery brassicas seeming to form heads (dunno what yet though). Flung a load of wildflower seeds about in an uncontrolled fashion. Should probably make a plan so am more efficient this year!

Comment

I don't have a plot anymore and I'm turning my front and back garden into a wildlife sanctuary but I do work with three horticulture projects that provide therapy for vulnerable adults. Today I had the pleasure of persuading my co-worker that we should convert our beds into hugelkultur so we sorted our mountainous compost pile into different sizes of brown waste so that we can get started. It's so thrilling when people 'get' permaculture and you offer a practical, common-sense solution to a garden problem.

Comment

Laid a deep mulch of semi-rotted leaves over the chicken manure top dressing I put down yesterday on my kale bed.
                    He-Pep!

Comment

I am putting together an aluminium greenhouse that I got on Freegle. I collected it from the previous owner who had dismantled it. There are lots of bits and no instructions. However Mr Busy is very good at this sort of thing altho this is a first - but he was always great at putting complicated frame tents up in the days when we had 3 small children and did lots of camping. the ground is frozen solid so it is quite a good time to put it together - altho it is on some Mypore (or is that out of the first aid box?!) black semi permeable stuff. I got it early autumn and it has been on the plot overwinter so I have been cleaning up the muddy, covered in moss and spiders nests, frame. We thought we would put the frame together before launching into getting the ground ready in case we could not work out how to put it together or it was incomplete. However it seems to be all present and correct and we have nearly got the frame finished. We fell into a couple of pitfalls such as getting some of the frame the wrong way round for the glass but nothing too bad. Fortunately the greenhouse on the next plot is very similar so we have been studying that as we go along. So after the last bits of roof go on this afternoon we are going to sort out the final site, buy the breeze blocks. Not looking forward to getting the glass in - and I will have to wash it all first! So that is what we are doing!

Comment

ps My sweet peas have started to germinate too.

Comment

before you all put me right I think it is Mypex !

Comment

Finally got around to transplanting the espellette seedlings ( 24)into individual pots and sowed sweet-peas(22 pots of about 10 in each).... this year I WILL have sweet peas
                            Both now on trays on the floor catching the sun's rays shining through the door.

And yes..they are very much going to be in the way, but at least I won't forget to water them!!!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Packed out a perimeter hedgerow on work's plot with woody branches from garden clearance jobs and will shortly propagate hawthorn, blackthorn, barberry, spindle (Euonymus) and hazel to grow up through the gaps.

Comment

Sounds nice. When our neighbours put a new hedge in I mentioned beech hedges, mixed native hedges etc. They went for grissilinia - plain green as well, not even the variegated.

Grissilinia (sp?) makes a lovely tree if you let it grow, & is good for hedging, I'm just bored of seeing it everywhere....

What I did - covered up my propogater with blankets in case of more frost tonight - it's in an unheated porch.

Chopped various things.
                                Last edited by happyhumph; 20-01-2017, 10:49 PM.
                                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X