No announcement yet.

Scrapheap Challenge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of a couple of hours work on chicken coop this evening.

I now have a pophole!

.......and a higed section for cleaning out!

Only the roof and the internals to sort now!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Snadger; 29-06-2017, 05:52 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• You're spoiling those chucks Snadge..................
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Yesterday i decided to make the chooks a ladder to their pophole. I used a wide batton as I was going to affix latts on to it. On counting, I realised i didn't have enough latts so alternated latts with pieces of elder I chopped down around the edge of the plot.

I'm sure the chooks will appreciate the extra bit grip this will give them!Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170129_002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2373368
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Snadger; 29-06-2017, 06:02 PM.
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Good job Snadge although I'm sure they would have managed without the Elder.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Just an afterthought Snadge but I would have been tempted to make it half that length & put it on legs 1ft off the floor so vermin couldn't get in. The chooks would have just jumped up onto it.
            Last edited by Bigmallly; 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Good job Snadge although I'm sure they would have managed without the Elder.
              But I wood-nt have!

The bottom of the main spar is rottens so as it rots, the gradient of the ladder will change!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just an afterthought Snadge but I would have been tempted to make it half that length & put it on legs 1ft off the floor so vermin couldn't get in. The chooks would have just jumped up onto it.
                Could still happen if the mood takes me.I thought about putting a dog leg into it at two different angles but couldn't be arrised!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I'm sure a man of your talents will come up with sommat.

Comment

• Scrounged another twenty paving flags today.That makes 40 I've scrounged up until now which should be able to give me a good start and maybe even get a few Keyhole beds ready to plant some Japanese onion sets and spring cabbage in.
                    The right side of the plot is shaded with deciduous trees which theoretically should not cast as much shade in the winter months once they lose their leaves. This area should be ideal for growing winter veg I would hope!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Strung out positions and set six paving flags into position from my plan.. The problem is that my scale plan is comprised of two foot squares, and the paving flags are only 18 inches. Six flags would have been twelve foot whereas i need eight of these flags to give nme the same length.
                      I don't know whether to scale down the beds to suit the flags or add extra flags to give the same distance. Probably the latter methinks.
                      I think the curved areas will just have to be shuttered and gravelled or concreted.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Had a busy evening on plot 24 after work. Dug up a row of Desiree potatoes, washed, sorted into usable,seed tatties fro next year and dross.

Checked my Pumpkin! (Dont tell Jason!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_123139-1377x2448[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2375996

Measured and laid out some paving flags to get an idea of scale of my new keyhole plots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160921_010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2375997

If you imagine the 3 foot circle of the hose at the end of the path surrounded with pan tiles and concreted, this will be the keyhole for the large centre bed.
                        Because I like to grow stuff through the winmter and i have old paths to break up and greenhouse to move, I think I will concentrate on the central bed plus the second bed on the left (the first being where the greenhouse is at present.

I also took a piccie of an unknown fruit on plot 24 which I will add to the other thread i started on the fruit section.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Snadger; 28-12-2017, 06:07 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Checked my Pumpkin! (Dont tell Jason!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68939[/ATTACH]
                          Ah, isn't it a sweet little thing.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• I was 'enthused' this evening on the plot transforming what I have on paper into reality. So much so that it was only me running out of paving flags that made me go home.
                            I now have the bare bones of one of my keyhole beds in position and will concentrate on adding muck to this area. I have Japanese white and red onion sets waitng in the wings along wioth a tray full of spring cabbage seedlings.
                            Dare i say it the plot design looks better in the flesh than on paper and i am pleased with the ammount of growing space provided without ever having to step on the beds.

What i have found out is that accuracy is paramount, as if edges aren't square, lengths aren' right and positions aren't true what seems at first to be fine has a knock on effect and spoils the whole concept. I tried to save on paving flags by making one path one paving flag less. The knock on effect was that one bed was four foot wide at one edge but only two foot wide at another.

I will put that right tomaorrow by adding only one paving flag

I might even post few more piccies.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sounds like it's coming along nicely Snadge & what's more important is you sound as though you are enjoying the prosess.

Comment

Sounds like it's coming along nicely Snadge & what's more important is you sound as though you are enjoying the prosess.
                                Loving it Bigfella!

It seems so long ago it was 'Scrapheap challenge' and i would truly like to turn a sows ear into a silk purse!
                                I'm even dreaming about the plot and how it will look and perform! Sad or wot!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X