No announcement yet.

Scrapheap Challenge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still flagging! Managed to haul four and a half flags this evening. For some reason each flag appears to be heavier than the last...............no idea why!: A few more tomorrow evening should give me enough to get a start on laying them at the weekend.......weather permitting!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Yep, you were definitely flagging when I left.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Still flagging! Managed to haul four and a half flags this evening. For some reason each flag appears to be heavier than the last...............no idea why!: A few more tomorrow evening should give me enough to get a start on laying them at the weekend.......weather permitting!
        21,000 posts - and everyone a gem

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          21,000 posts - and everyone a gem
          My Mother was always 21 when anyone asked!

I'll have as many posts as yours VC, and they will STILL be starting 'Still flagging'!
          Last edited by Snadger; 11-11-2016, 06:36 AM.
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Back at 'you know where' again after work. I finish half an hour earlier on a Friday so half an hour more light!

Managed to get another four large paving flags transported to the plot. There was still a bit of light left so decided to try and lay a few more into position.

Below is my plan and I've outlined in red the paving flags I am changing from 18 inch flags to 24 inch flags which was the original planned size!

I am lifting the 18" flags in these two areas which will mean I won't have to source so many for use in the other areas. I finished laying the two foot flags from the summerhouse to the first keyhole centre this evening. Needs a small amount of concrete to finish off and the flags need levelling in the daylight.
            I now have enough two foot flags to finish up to the new greenhouse position, hopefully at the weekend, which will be the main central path done..
            Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Had to work overtime today and didn't mind as the extra cash will come in handy for crimbo! Because of this i only had a short time at the plot before it got dark. Managed to get three flags laid before bad light stopped play.

Hope to get back to the plot tomorrow for a canny session weather permitting!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Arrived at plot at about 10.00am after first going to grain merchant and picking up three bags of chook food.
                After lighting the woodburner to warm my pasty, and making myself a nice cup of strong tea, I set to with the paving from where i had left off.
                Finished the heavy flags for the main path after uplifting the original smaller flags, then took the stringline off and set it up to get the cross path measured,straight and square with the other path.

After a bit of digging and levelling I finished that area. I then had to make sure the circular path worked out ok in each quadrant. Once measured I started setting the flags to the required height. A lot of digging and filling with soil was required but finally got it somewhwere near to the way it should be. I was mainly working it out to make sure i had enough paving flags, which i did. I intend titivating and possibly conceting paths in once they are better levelled.

Heres' a couple of piccies looking in two directions. I know you must be sick of seeing what may appear to be the same piccies, but I assure you a lot of work has went on since the last piccies

What you are looking at above is a view from the wooded side of my plot, across the plot to the rest of the allotments. You may have noticed I have taken the 'sets' that surrounded the central keyhole off as I think they detract from the appearance. I will do the same with the other keyhole surrounds methinks.

Below is the all important view from inside my summerhouse. Befoore I left for home I broke up the rest of the old concrete path to the right of the plot and my next job is to get rid of the lumps of concrete and add them to the shed base at the bottom of the plot.

I left the plot at about 3.30pm, knackered, aching back, but very happy with progress from this visit! Nowt that a nice warm bath won't cure hopefully!
                Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Looking good Snadge, I'm looking forward to seeing your curved cages................
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    Looking good Snadge, I'm looking forward to seeing your curved cages................
                    Yeah, I've already thought about that! The beauty of having four keyhole beds all the same size is that theoretically I only need one cage for the brassica bed and this can be moved onto another bed each year.
                    It will have to be a work of art and will need to be ornate to tie in with the rest of the regime.
                    The only other stuff that will need covering is the carrots with enviromesh, but they won't be taking up a whole bed so should be easier to net!

I, like you, enjoy doing things that test my ingenuity!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Four keyhole beds - perfect for my new rotation scheme
                      Go on, you know you like a challenge

Comment

• You could always do half hexagonal or half octagonal cages.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Four keyhole beds - perfect for my new rotation scheme
                          Go on, you know you like a challenge
                          You never give up do you!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Nope - you know it makes sense!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              You could always do half hexagonal or half octagonal cages.
                              The beds are basically square with a curved chunk missing from one corner and a keyhole cut in. As I would be growing all brassicas in one bed I would probably enclose anything that wasn't a path or keyhole on that bed.

I may need to purchase that 50 metre of blue debri netting after all. Its ok though VC says she'll lend me the money!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nope - you know it makes sense!
                                I couldn't grow every vegetable I eat in one month on that size of keyhole!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X