Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
    Ms-T ~~ you should see the state of my pond ~~ it's been neglected for many years and the water looks like thick, gloopy sludge ....... So don't think I'm going to be tempted to delve into that and feed it to my lovelies ......... they'd probably give a collective gasp and carc it!!
    Lol .. the old water from our tadpoles tanks... They've moved out now and I'm onto plain old water butt water!
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• It doesn't matter when you bag them Susie, the light should be able to get through tights or wedding favour bags.

Comment

• I've over wintered a Jimmy Nardello and nearly over wintered a habanero and Joe's long and Thai dragon but they got serious aphids and it was easier to start from scratch as I still had seeds. This year I have split between a conservatory (for overwintering) and poly:

Habanero (orange)
        Jimmy nardello
        Cayenne
        Padron
        Capsicum Gourmet
        sweet Marconi
        Poblano ancho (possibly - 3 plants, only one looks healthy)
        Of my Trinidad perfume only 1 germinated and then gave up I'll try again next year.
        I will try and expand the range next year so any recommendations for tasty mild to hot (but not naga or reaper hot) welcome.
        Last edited by ecudc; 01-06-2016, 10:02 PM.
        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

• Scarlet do you have to bag if its the only cillie plant indoors?

Comment

• Purple Jalapeno puts in an appearance
            Attached Files
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
              Scarlet do you have to bag if its the only cillie plant indoors?
              No, a plant kept indoors on its own should be fine to save from without bagging flowers
              Last edited by Scarlet; 02-06-2016, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Trip, they look fantastic

Comment

• Splendid specimens, Trip - those chillis look good enough to eat!!!
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• I'm only growing two kinds...cayenne and prairie fire. They are still tiny so don't hold out much hope of getting any chillies!
                    sigpic

Comment

• If you have them on your kitchen window Jay they have a long time yet to fruit. Some chillies don't start too flower until the end of the Summer and ripen up in October. Trip has cheated he is using lights! The only plants of mine that have chillies on are overwintered plants. I've got some teeny tiny ones yet and I'm hoping for a crop.

I'll pop up the GH later to take some photos

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                        I'm only growing two kinds...cayenne and prairie fire. They are still tiny so don't hold out much hope of getting any chillies!
                        Jay, these are my small hab orange - think they'll not produce this year .....
                        Attached Files
                        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Next year you won't get those out of the house Susie I had one that filled my bay window and hit the ceiling. It had to be cut back to get it out through the door so that I could get my Christmas tree in

Comment

• I don't have proper flowers yet (sporadic ones I nip off not included), on any of mine, but I'm not fazed. There's 4 months of active growing still to go, a long time yet.

I could moan about the fact it's the 2nd day of summer and to look outside the sky is the same shade of grey it's been for the last 4 days, it's drizzling, and distinctly cool.
                            But then I potted up my Fatalli last weekend and transferred it to the GH, last one to go in, and cool weather is actually much better for the period of transition while the plant gets re-established - the stress of repotting, particularly if there's significant root disturbance or damage, and then into a hot, drying environment, could prove too much for even a mature specimen to cope with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              If you have them on your kitchen window Jay they have a long time yet to fruit. Some chillies don't start too flower until the end of the Summer and ripen up in October. Trip has cheated he is using lights! The only plants of mine that have chillies on are overwintered plants. I've got some teeny tiny ones yet and I'm hoping for a crop.

I'll pop up the GH later to take some photos
                              Indeed I did
                              I also ate my first chili yesterday evening straight off the plant (it was a green Jalapeno, so not too hot!)
                              I woudl say at least a third of my plants now have fruit forming on them, so the lights have definitely given them a head start....
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

• These are my biggest cayenne and prairie fire!

Attached Files
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X