Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    I'm very pleased with my chillis this year considering what rubbish weather we've had. my tunnel is a bit like a jungle. Don't know where one chilli ends and another begins

That's pretty darn impressive SP .......never heard of holy moley ...what are those? For making molé I guess but never seen em 😁

Comment

• ^^^^^^^^^
      I should have read the rest of the thread........!!! Now I know what it is ...just not grown them this year......big fruits took yonks to ripen last year......I do get confuddled with all the different names for the same chillies ��

Comment

• .....ditto that, Ladyslip....
        Think I need to do some serious reading up on all these various chilli varieties ~ I tend to buy seeds of the ones I fancy the name of ~ nothing more intellectual than that.....!!!!
        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Thanks ladyslip
          I've never grow holy mole before, I like what I see so far. Trip said they also go by the name of Chilaca. I believe they are a very versatile pepper in culinary circles.
          How's your babies doing?

I need lots of chilli talk this weekend people . I'm away from my babies. So obviously I need to boar people stupid by talking about them constantly

Comment

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
            .....ditto that, Ladyslip....
            Think I need to do some serious reading up on all these various chilli varieties ~ I tend to buy seeds of the ones I fancy the name of ~ nothing more intellectual than that.....!!!!
            That's how I do it to

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              Thanks ladyslip
              I've never grow holy mole before, I like what I see so far. Trip said they also go by the name of Chilaca. I believe they are a very versatile pepper in culinary circles.
              How's your babies doing?
              I've been away on and off for best part of a month now.....had full week away this week and not seen the yet....ill get some pics done a bit later.....
              When trip said Chiluaca I knew as passilla bajio !!

Comment

• I really hate it when they have several names for one chilli. I know it's often names from different countries but it gets me very confused!

Comment

• Pretty Purple today ...

Do you know if that's about the full size of these...? And are they edible now.......?
                  Attached Files
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• I think they'll get a little bigger. Mine are the size of a large marble now.

They're edible but they'll ripen if you leave them, through yellow, Orange and then red!

I've not tried mine yet!
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• Oh! Didn't realise that they changed from purple through to red......!
                      I'll try to leave them to fully ripen then - although I might just have to eat one, just as a taster...!
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Bobby Seeds is where I got them...
                        Not sure how I stumbled across the site

Did some more checks and pics today
                        Attached Files
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

• Everybody's chilli's are looking really good.
                          I've decided I'm not going to decapitate any of my chilli's next year. Yes they are bushier but they are a long way behind on producing fruit. I just don't have a long enough season for them to produce. It will probably be all over by the end of September (unless we get an Indian summer.........can't see that happening!!). And definitely only one of each variety. Anything you lot going to do different next year?

Comment

• SP, it is all weather dependant isn't it.....?
                            I've got a few more 'on the go' this year than I bargained for, as a lot of what I'd sown actually germinated...! (Oh, apart from Choc Habaneros ... A big, fat zero..!) but I'll probably do the same again, cos s-d's law says that if I only sow the amount I want, I'll have poor germination ...

I bought a few different lots of seed a couple of months back (can't remember what they are now, must sort them out..!) - which I'll sow...
                            I'm attempting to save some seed from my Ancho, which seem to be doing well (unfortunately, I can't offer any to the seed circle, as I hadn't isolated any .....) I'll have a go at those, too.

I'd like to try starting them off in a heated propagator next year (on xmas list... )
                            And, like you, don't think I'm going to pinch out ....... but then again - I might..!!
                            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• susieG I will sow more than I need but I've got to man up and compost any extra ones. A heated propagator is a very useful bit of kit I wouldn't be without mine. You will definitely notice a difference in germination. Like you say it's all very weather dependent, so I'm pleased with how well my chilli's have done because the weather has been cr@p!

Comment

• I showed mine late due to family stuff earlier in yr and can really tell the difference, I'm going to ask the man who visits in December for a heated prop this yr
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X