No announcement yet.

Tomato growing diary 2016

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sowed 6 Sweet Million on 18/2 and so far 3 have germinated. I also showed some Roma on 2/3 but since i sowed them I read a lot of people here saying they're very tasteless or weak vines so I'm not sure what to do with them now.

Also in the GYO April mag T&M have an offer for 6 "Sweet aperitif" plants for £3.20 p&p, is this a good deal? I already have a cherry and I'm not laden with GH space, unless they can go outside..?

It's my first year growing toms properly, I used to put them in a window until they got too big (5ft) and then put them outside, and at the end of the year I'd have eaten about 6 red cherries and be left with masses of green ones that never ripened, even with a banana. (Since found out about suckers)

This is the green/growhouse I purchased, I'd love a glass one but I need something portable so this seemed like a suitable compromise, and I wanted to grow the tomatoes, some of James Wong's musk melons, some chillies and possibly a pepino melon.

Wilko Walk in Greenhouse Cover and Stage PE at wilko.com

How many tomato plants would you all grow in a space like this? (120cmx190cm /roughly 4ftx6ft)
    Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Originally posted by AkionTotocha View Post
      I sowed 6 Sweet Million on 18/2 and so far 3 have germinated. I also showed some Roma on 2/3 but since i sowed them I read a lot of people here saying they're very tasteless or weak vines so I'm not sure what to do with them now.

Also in the GYO April mag T&M have an offer for 6 "Sweet aperitif" plants for £3.20 p&p, is this a good deal? I already have a cherry and I'm not laden with GH space, unless they can go outside..?

It's my first year growing toms properly, I used to put them in a window until they got too big (5ft) and then put them outside, and at the end of the year I'd have eaten about 6 red cherries and be left with masses of green ones that never ripened, even with a banana. (Since found out about suckers)

This is the green/growhouse I purchased, I'd love a glass one but I need something portable so this seemed like a suitable compromise, and I wanted to grow the tomatoes, some of James Wong's musk melons, some chillies and possibly a pepino melon.

Wilko Walk in Greenhouse Cover and Stage PE at wilko.com

How many tomato plants would you all grow in a space like this? (120cmx190cm /roughly 4ftx6ft)
      I've got one of these (without the built in shelf) which I use as a frame for my fruit cage. You MUST secure it well - even with insect mesh it thrashes about alarmingly in gusts of wind above 40mph. My frame is weighed down with bricks (on paving), and I abandoned the plastic cover idea after less than a week because I was sure the whole thing was going to take off.

I would think you could fit about 6 tomato plants down either side and one at the end, but it would depend a bit on what you are growing them in.

I grew Roma last year - they are not great for eating raw but make nice sauces.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

T&M are selling sweet apiritif seeds for 99 p as a promotion

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          I've got one of these (without the built in shelf) which I use as a frame for my fruit cage. You MUST secure it well - even with insect mesh it thrashes about alarmingly in gusts of wind above 40mph. My frame is weighed down with bricks (on paving), and I abandoned the plastic cover idea after less than a week because I was sure the whole thing was going to take off.

I would think you could fit about 6 tomato plants down either side and one at the end, but it would depend a bit on what you are growing them in.

I grew Roma last year - they are not great for eating raw but make nice sauces.
          Truth. I assembled it maybe 3-4 weeks ago and had to go rescue it at 1AM the same day. I moved it into the garage which is thankfully big enough to take it assembled, and it's going back out into the courtyard this weekend after I fit some hooks into the walls for its guy(?) lines, meaning it's in the corner of two 9ft walls, with three corners anchored to the walls and a propane bottle inside to weigh it down.

...that's the plan anyway..

They'd be going into £1 builders buckets or flower buckets if I can get any. I guess with the other things I'm wanting to grow I can fit 8 tomato vines in, which means I can grow one more kind...

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
          T&M are selling sweet apiritif seeds for 99 p as a promotion
          If they're only that price then I won't bother getting the 6 plants - I'm not that bothered about growing SA since I already have a cherry germinated.

Any suggestions for a "normal" tomato then? Torn between moneymaker and Shirley but I don't mind growing something more unusual re colour/flavour, as long as it's about that size and good for eating raw.
          Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

First update from me

These were sown 21/2, This year I tried sowing them into 40 cell trays, one seed per cell, just thought it would be easier that way and less root disturbance, we shall see though

Attached Files
            Last edited by maverick451; 09-03-2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AkionTotocha View Post
              Any suggestions for a "normal" tomato then? Torn between moneymaker and Shirley but I don't mind growing something more unusual re colour/flavour, as long as it's about that size and good for eating raw.
              In my opinion if you are choosing between Moneymaker and Shirley it is no contest - Shirley is vastly superior.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Mine go in single cells too. The tray fits my prop and I can take each cell out at the Tom germinates.

2xblack cherry, 1xpaul Robson, 2xDWS, 2xblack pear, 1xgolden queen
                2xviolet Jasper, 2 xGoldkrone, 2x red horn, 2xfix cherry,
                1xsandpoint, 1xcaspian pink, 2x matina, 2xKenilworth k George, 2x stoners Most prolific
                2xtigerella, 2x black icicle, 4 x Sungold
                1 x golden queen, 2x Orange banana, 2 x peace vine, 3x v ,
                2xyellow pear, 2 x red Siberian, 2x broad ripple yellow currant, 2 x German lunch box,
                2x Cheethams potato leaf, 2 Black Russian, 1 Darby striped, 1 Valencia, 2 Outdoor girl
                2 x bloody butcher, 3 black prince, 2 black pear
                2x aranyalma, 2 blonde boar, 4 mrs rucks,
                3 x garden peach.
                Attached Files

Comment

The single cell plants need potting on now, been a month since I sowed them.

They will go in 1 litre pots

Worst job of the year is throwing the unwanted seedlings away, I hate it but I cant keep them all.

Attached Files

Comment

I found one of my Gardeners Delight seedlings decapitated and immediately suspected slug activity. After a great deal of hunting around I eventually found a teeny weeny slug and quickly "took care of it"

Comment

The 2 Shirley plants sown in January are now too big for the grow lights and are in their final position in 3 litre pots on the sitting room windowsill.

The plant on the right has 2 flowers open, and both are starting to produce side shoots which will be used to make more plants.

I also have 4 Balconi (2 red, 2 yellow) and 6 more Shirley planted in February under the lights - these will also live indoors.

I am not sowing any more tomatoes until April.
                      Attached Files

Comment

My plants just have their two seed leaves. By the time they need to be weaned off the propagator it will hopefully be warm enough for them in the greenhouse.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Yesterday was a Tomato sowing day

For pots and hanging baskets.

Apricot Dream F1
                          Balconi Yellow
                          Gartenperle
                          Sweet 'n' Neat Scarlet Improved
                          Tumbler

For GH

Black Icicle (Thanks Scarlet)
                          Luzias Oma (Thanks nellie-m)
                          Shirley F1

My first batch of seedlings nave been potted on and are in the cold GH under bubblewrap.
                          Second lot are potted and in the bedroom.
                          Third lot sown yesterday.

Comment

Early sowings have suffered a bit with either 'lollipops' or feline damage. Still giving priority to chillies on indoor windowsill, so I've started putting first tomato seedlings in the greenhouse. Will be getting a few more of these in the heated propagator soon.

Growing list now revised:

Aranyalma
                            Pantano
                            Roma
                            'Survivor' unknown volunteer
                            Urbikany
                            Sunset's Red Horizon
                            Green Zebra
                            Transparent
                            MrF Tigerella
                            Mini Orange
                            MrF Red Cherry
                            MrF San Marzano 2
                            Black Truffle
                            Spanish Big Globe
                            White Queen
                            Gardeners Delight
                            Black Cherry
                            Black & Brown Boar
                            Sandpoint
                            Purple Ukraine
                            Peacevine Cherry
                            Orange Banana
                            Black Icicle
                            Incas F1
                            Golden Cherry F1
                            St Pierre
                            Gold Rush Currant
                            Alicante
                            Summer Cider
                            Rio Grande
                            Chocolate Cherry
                            Azoychka

Comment

Chris, look likes you have masses of stuff 'on the go' - what's your set up? GH/polytunnels ?
                              How many of each variety do you finally grow?
                              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I think Chris's surname is Heinz.................no, it can't be, they had 57 varieties.................Chris only has 30.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X