Tomato growing diary 2016

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie, my growing lists are a triumph of enthusiasm rather than space

I don't have an allotment or polytunnel. I just do my best with a basic heated propagator, a greenhouse, water butt and compost bin, and a few tubs and pots in the sunny parts of my back garden and patio.

I'll probably end up with about 30 different chillies, and another 30 different tomatoes. I don't have space for more than 1 or 2 of each variety. I give away any spares.

There's such an amazing number of varieties to grow

I remember the first year I grew. I repaired the dilapidated greenhouse that had been left by the previous owners and bought a few tomato plants from Homebase on the way home from work. Things have slowly built year on year since then.

Comment

Wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with my tom plants and impart some of their wisdom.

My plants have been growing well for several weeks now, but about 7-10 days ago one of the plant's new leaf growth began to curl. I thought it was just a one off and the problem would soon rectify but the curl now seems to be getting worse, and now one by one all the young tom plants are becoming affected.

Never experienced this problem before in years of growing and I've not much clue what could be wrong. Only thing that came to mind was the compost I'm growing them in could possibly be contaminated with herbicide. But I did buy from a reputable company, so I don't see a good reason to suspect this... The compost is called Murphy MPC. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just an idea but Are you growing them under strong lights solanaceae?

Last year I had problems with some of mine under high power t5's, basically the growing conditions are too hot and dry and the leafs become small and curled and wrinkled.

see here

Vapor Pressure Deficit - The Hidden Force on your Plants | Just For Growers
        Last edited by maverick451; 22-03-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

They look stressed and stretched to me

Comment

They look like they have suffered from the cold.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Looks like cold to me..

Comment

Where are you keeping them? We need a little more info. A photo of the whole plant would give us a better idea. They do look a little leggy. They could be cold damage. Or you could have some aphids tucked up in those leaves...

Comment

Well my babies are up and under the lights!

Now time to start singing to em! ...............
                  Attached Files
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Here is a photo of my babies These were sown on 24th January, had their first potting on 18th February and then into these bigger pots 14th March. Today I will move them into the fleece covered greenhouse next door to this one to starting hardening them off. Varieties are Gabriel, Kilo, Maruja, Nariz, Marmande Cuarento, Cherry and Bardello. These are all Spanish seeds that I saved from last year (except the Cherry, which are fresh seeds) They will hopefully go out into the garden in about 10 days.
                    Today I will start preparing the ground and canes for them. I sowed more tomato seeds on 14th March - different varieties but they are not up yet.
                    Attached Files
                    Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                      Just an idea but Are you growing them under strong lights solanaceae?

Last year I had problems with some of mine under high power t5's, basically the growing conditions are too hot and dry and the leafs become small and curled and wrinkled.

see here

Vapor Pressure Deficit - The Hidden Force on your Plants | Just For Growers
                      Good call, Maverick.

I didn't think that would have been a problem since toms love the heat and it wasn't too excessive (or so I thought). But I haven't been measuring the temp regularly and there have been times when it could have shot up to 28c in the room, when consider the humidity of just 35% or so, maybe this was just too much?

Now the temp is more or less room temp 21c, most of the time. The plants have responded somewhat favourably I think? Hard to tell really, small improvements if anything. Am also growing a couple of them in a cooler room, one with same soil and another in peat to see on the off chance if it is the potting material that's tainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Where are you keeping them? We need a little more info. A photo of the whole plant would give us a better idea. They do look a little leggy. They could be cold damage. Or you could have some aphids tucked up in those leaves...
                        No chance of cold, trust me . No aphids either. They aren't leggy, it's just the top part of the plant where it becomes suddenly stunted. Never seen my toms grow like this before, really bizarre I'll try upload a better pic later.

Comment

Originally posted by solanaceae View Post
                          No chance of cold, trust me . No aphids either. They aren't leggy, it's just the top part of the plant where it becomes suddenly stunted. Never seen my toms grow like this before, really bizarre I'll try upload a better pic later.
                          I'd have queried aphids too. Anything remotely toxic that could have got in the compost or anywhere near to them?
                          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Nice thread

Here's some of my tomato babes sown 5/3, I've a few more I want to sow, hopefully in the next few days when I free up a little space in the propagator. I can't wait until it's time to get them planted, it's a step closer to tomato munching!
                            Attached Files
                            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                              I'd have queried aphids too. Anything remotely toxic that could have got in the compost or anywhere near to them?
                              Not as far as I'm aware.

Funny thing is they were doing fine in the same compost for weeks, then 2 weeks ago they all suddenly start to go nuts, so that makes me think it can't be the compost doing this. If it was the compost then I'd have thought it would not have been able to grow healthily to the stage they did.

Having said that, when you search 2, 4-D herbicide on google it does display symptoms worryingly similar.

Poor tomato plants.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by solanaceae; 28-03-2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

The plants new growth is affected but the old growth is ok,it could be because nutrients have run out in the compost,have you tried feeding them? Also the stem looks a bit wet,have they been sprayed with something? Or do you water overhead rather than from below? If,when that new growth was emerging,they got splashed then put under lights it could have affected them that way? With changes in whatever it is the next bit of growth could be ok? My dad bought murphys compost once & now he never will again,too dry I think,but that was years ago...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X