Tomato growing diary 2016

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is the day

Sown my tomatoes today, was really excited, been looking forward to it all week

In the greenhouse im doing a mini cherry tomato trial
    Sungold
    sugargloss
    Cherrola
    Chelsea
    black opal
    sweet apertitif
    Rosada
    Apero
    sakura
    Superb
    Summer frolic
    Shirley (to fill up any space)

Outside all rounders ive gone for
    Ferline
    Orkado
    Pannovy
    Crimson Crush - I gave in in the end and decided to give it one last shot, ive shown 5 seeds and will discard any plants that lack vigour.

Still have space for a few more, will chose some beefsteak ones from the seeds swap, will sow this week.

Comment

Sowed mine indoors today:

Principe Borghese, which I'm going to try to dry and store in olive oil, like it says on the packet.

Then 3 reliable varieties which are slow to get blight: Apero (cherry), Fantasio (normal) and Giulietta (italian plum)

Roll on summer, I'm drooling already!
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Sowed 6 more Shirleys to be grown on under lights and then on the sitting room windowsill.

Far too cold still to be considering sowing any for outdoors or the unheated greenhouse.
        Last edited by Penellype; 21-02-2016, 05:35 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Maverick, it's just so exciting! I love sowing all the tom seeds - great expectations!
          Most of mine went in last weekend, however, on going through my seed collection, I see I missed some - here's to next weekend's sowing session
          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
            Maverick, it's just so exciting! I love sowing all the tom seeds - great expectations!
            Most of mine went in last weekend, however, on going through my seed collection, I see I missed some - here's to next weekend's sowing session
            What are you growing this year Susie?

Comment

Got started yesterday

And theres a few here, the majority are from the seed swap organised by Scarlet, what a marvellous thing it was/is , such a dilema...........anyway, these are whats gone in .so far

Elisir, Tres Cantos , petit moineau ( little sparrow just had too) , shirley ( for fil time he tried something other than moneymaker) , green zebra , de colgar ( just have to see if its true that they can be stored on the vine in an outhouse or the like ) , cherokee purple , black cherry , black russian and dances with wolves, nope, i meant dancing with smurfs of course , gelbe kongin and orange favourite.

Few more outdoor types to go in tomorrow

Comment

Don't forget to try orange Banana!!

I've not had much time lately - half term! Will get sowing more this week.

Comment

Scarlet, Is it worth growing Orange Banana?
                  I grew Banana Legs last year and it was absolutely tasteless.
                  I am assuming they are different.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Yes, they are different. Bramble my favourites are black tomatoes, black cherry, Black Russian etc but I love to grow a variety of toms. Love all the colours there are available to grow, the different shapes etc. Orange banana has been on my grow list for several years, lovely taste. Looks good, cooks well but is also a healthy plant,really strong and is a good cropper. One of the best of the Orange toms. Nelly Ms orange favorite is also another good orange variety to try.

Comment

I love the darker ones and yellow ones as well, i have just received a lot of Indigo, artisan and lots of others to try, only came with 10 seeds but if they are nice i am planning of saving lots and lots of seeds

Orange banana was one of the worst failing for me last year, the plant grew lots and lots of fruits but every single one got blossom end rot, cannot compare though because of locations. Chickens still loved them.

Valencia was a really good tasting orange tomato for me.
                      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

All 12 varieties that I've sown, at least one of each have germinated. Very exciting . I never sow many extra seeds. Because any that germinate are kept. No seedlings go on the compost heap, I just can't do it . All that is left to sow is my black krim and tumbling yellow toms next month. Looking forward to a bit of sunshine and a bit of warmth. Then I can watch them take over my tunnel

Comment

Oh no I'm supposed to be starting the toms.................must buy some sill planters........must buy some sill planters................
                          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Started my first tomatoes today, in small 6cm pots in a basic heated propagator.

Some were old seeds so I sowed a few extra. If they don't germinate, there's still time to sow some more, and if they do I'll have spare plants to give away
                            Last edited by Chris11; 28-02-2016, 09:59 PM.

Comment

My San Marzano sown a week or so ago on a windowsill have all germinated. I'm going to sow Red Pear and Principe Borghese from the mag seed selection next but might hold off a week or two on that.

Comment

4 of the 6 Shirleys sown on 21/2 have now germinated. I expect the other 2 to appear any minute.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X