No announcement yet.

Tomato growing diary 2016

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing with water is that it has quite a strong surface tension - it is this which causes water to congregate into blobs on a flat surface like glass. If you have dry pockets inside the soil the surface tension will tend to prevent the water from penetrating the dry parts. It is quite hard to wet a grow bag that has dried out for example. What soap and detergents do is break this surface tension and allow the water to coat things (including soil particles) more easily. There is therefore sound scientific reasoning why this should work as long as you don't use so much soap that you damage the plants.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• My "Babies" looking a little "Leggier" than I hoped for!

But a few day's off awarded! Get em in natural light! Sure they will "Bulk Out"
      Attached Files
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Were you in the army Deano? They look like soldiers!

Comment

• Indeed I was Scarlet!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Aw, Deanos little soljers
            loking good Deano, nice and healthy and uniformally turned out.

Comment

• Having been worried about my toms and then being worried about them getting leggy I potted them on, perhaps a little early, but I think that they are looking pretty good. Here are some of them:

The photo is tiny but I don't know how to enlarge it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SaraJH; 23-04-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• They look great
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                  Having been worried about my toms and then being worried about them getting leggy I potted them on, perhaps a little early, but I think that they are looking pretty good. Here are some of them:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63477[/ATTACH]

The photo is tiny but I don't know how to enlarge it.
                  I wouldn't worry about tomato plants getting too leggy, they usually bulk up and tomatoes are one of the easiest plants to correct.

Comment

• It's not too early they're looking good SaraJH!!

Comment

• They look good SaraJH!
                      Some of mine are about the size of yours too. Thought I'd lost them after I potted on, they were very sulky little plants, but they've rallied around now and seem to be ok!
                      Think it's just been a chilly Spring and everything I've sowed seems to be taking an age
                      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• mine are definitely sulking too. I wish the weather would hurry up and get nice!!

Comment

• Sowed my late Toms today, mountain magic

Thats the last of them now

Comment

• Any ideas why some tomato leaves go this colour?

Attached Files

Comment

• Some of mine have done that this year, like yours quite at random in amongst other healthy looking plants. Mine are all Shirleys so it is nothing to do with variety.

No idea what the cause is.

Comment

• Some of mine are exactly the same... again no idea what it is but hoping they'll sort themselves out if they can ever go outside

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X