No announcement yet.

Tomato growing diary 2016

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be sowing this lot over the next few weeks / months ( can't remember what gets sown when)
    black krim.
    dancing with smurfs.
    cherry.
    kenilworth/King George.
    Cyril's choice.
    latah
    black pineapple.
    tumbling Tom red
    tumbling yellow.
    gardeners delighted
    Shirley
    Black Russian
    pink Brandywine
    sweet baby
    sweetie.
    heirloom ( pot luck).
    Looking forward to growing this lot.

Comment

Gosh you lot are so early. I have a very dark house the only bit light enough to stop plants getting leggy is the hall. I will wait til end of Feb to start sowing. Will post the list when I'm near the seeds.
      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

In the words of Lionel: hello, is it me your looking for?

Black Icicle on the right and Indigo Rose on the left

A lot of my Tom seedlings have popped up in the last 24 hours. So far off to a good start and I don't think there are any germination failures.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ryleh; 09-02-2016, 04:03 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
          So far off to a good start and I don't think there are any germination failures.
          They are getting too leggy. Get them out of the propagator, they need much more light and cooler growing conditions than what they've had so far.

You may need to sow those again if they carry on as they are. Don't sow all your seeds in February. March is early enough, it's a bit hit and miss sowing in February, not enough light and too much warmth indoors (radiators/hot rooms) gives leggy plants.

Comment

Yep, if you keep those id bury them deep in a 3 " pot now to give them a chance, it worked for me last year when i failed to check the ones in the airing cubord.
            Im off into ozzy on the 24th so ill sow mine about two days before i go in and hope the mrs hasnt killed them in a week

Comment

Sorry but i think you will have to re-sow, they are very leggy and when so young it is very hard to counter that. Even if you plant them deeper they most likely will fall over before hand or it might rot.
              Think of it as fun you get to plant more
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sowing any toms till March, but this year it's:

Bush - Tumbler, Maskotka

Vine - Sungold, Galina
                He-Pep!

Comment

My are all sown, but might do a few more.

12/1;
                  Marmande,
                  Moneymaker,
                  Gardener´s delight,
                  Gold rush currant,
                  Red Pear,
                  Yellow Pear,
                  Red alert

20/1;
                  Alicante
                  Ailsa craig
                  Tamina
                  Incas F1
                  Red cherry
                  Beefsteak
                  Gold nuggat
                  Golden Sunburst
                  Principe borghese
                  Black cherry
                  Azoycha
                  Black Krim
                  Garden Peach
                  Brandywine black
                  Delicious
                  Currant sweet pea
                  Baby pink plum F1
                  Hillbilly
                  Big rainbow
                  Tomatoberry F1
                  Red zebra improved
                  Ukranian Purple
                  Black zebra cherry
                  Purple calabash
                  Cherokee purple
                  St pierre
                  Sunray

28/1;

100´s and 1000´s
                  dancing with smurfs ( thanks VSP)
                  Russian lemon (thanks VSP)
                  golden sunrise
                  the stripy stuffer
                  pomodoro ciliegia
                  big league
                  firecracker
                  tigerella

Re sowed on the 28th

Red pear
                  Yellow pear
                  Money maker
                  gardeners delight
                  my awesome self saved yellow
                  marmande
                  gold rush current

They were taking a long time to pop up but most have come up nicely now so didn't need to re sow

Most are up and growing on nicely

So thats 43, and my tomato seed box is out to find any more, oh dear
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
                    In the words of Lionel: hello, is it me your looking for?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61808[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61809[/ATTACH]

Black Icicle on the right and Indigo Rose on the left

A lot of my Tom seedlings have popped up in the last 24 hours. So far off to a good start and I don't think there are any germination failures.
                    AS has been said, they look very leggy. It's down to them not getting enough light whilst getting a lot of heat.

I'd bin them and start again. Next time though, as soon as they have germinated, get the heat off them and onto the brightest window sill.

Everyone has little errors when it comes to gardening so get them sown again and in 7-10 days they'll be up.

Comment

They shot up over the course of 1 night from nothing but a pot of compost to the seedlings in the picture and the second I spotted them they were removed from the propagator.

I was planning on resowing some of those regardless but will keep a close eye on the current seedlings and if it comes to it I'll ditch them but I'm hoping not. They are currently sat under the grow lights getting all the light they need.

I guess I have nothing to lose by planting a new set and giving the 1st batch the chance to survive

Comment

I'd wait a several weeks before sowing anymore. They are really wet too which could cause you problems. Are the lights giving off heat?

Comment

All the moisture you can see in the pictures came from the condensation on the inside of the propagator lid when I removed it.

I'd have to report back about heat from the lights as I only constructed them this morning and they have been on a couple of hours but I'm at work so cant check. I would imagine a bit of heat though wouldnt expect a lot.

Comment

If they popped up overnight like that the germination temp was too high. The next lot you sow put somewhere cooler. If you are going to keep those, as Zjack has said you need to bury them upto their seed leaves. The stems w be much to weak to support any top growth.

Comment

Why bin then?

I'd chop the tops off and plant as a cutting. Any sideshoots can also be done otherwise.

This is a valid way to get many plants from early sowings and is especially good with F1's as it saves a lot of cash.

Comment

Might be that the ambient room temperature was high enough that when combined with the propagator it was too high overall. I can reduce the room temperature and I'll take this first batch as a learning experience. Its my first year with these new propagators so things happened faster than I expected.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X