No announcement yet.

Parsnip Tape!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd hold off with the masking tape Kevin till we know the will germinate through it. The original flour & water paper tape is fine though.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 16-10-2014, 05:23 PM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I'd hold off with the masting tape Kevin till we know the will germinate through it. The original flour & water paper tape is fine though.
      I only found this thread this morning and read through it all - sorry, the flour and water paste method is what I'll try (although I fancy experimenting with the masking tape too)
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Let us know if you have any success with the masking tape.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Just a quick update:
          Firstly, I've just pulled tonights dinner from the flower () & water newspaper tape...........

Secondly, even better news, the Beetroot plus other random seeds have germinated through the masking tape so now I can get masking tape production into swing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 24-10-2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Just a quick update:
            Firstly, I've just pulled tonights dinner from the flower () & water newspaper tape...........[ATTACH=CONFIG]50751[/ATTACH]

Secondly, even better news, the Beetroot plus other random seeds have germinated through the masking tape so now I can get masking tape production into swing.
            A brief question, if I may ?
            Do you sow seed down or tape down ?
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Hi Rock, I can see where you are coming from but the tape is folded in half once the seed is attached thereby 1" tape becomes 1/2" wide when folded..............so the answer is tape down..........

Comment

^^^ BM made the tape so it works in both the southern and northern hemispheres

Comment

............the answer is Tape down and Tape up...................

Comment

Tape Variations.

Well due to the resounding germination success of Beetroot & Sweet Peas using masking tape, I've started the production line............
                    I've done Carrot, Parsnip, Pot Leeks & Beetroot so far. Each coin bag holds 6 tape strips totaling approx 100 seeds in each. Some of these are going in the kite so will do some more later on. So if any of you newbies are looking for something to do on those long winter evenings, I suggest giving it a go.......

Attached Files

Comment

how long will the masking tapes last in storage do people think?

Comment

Well Mumbles, considering I've already made them..............I'm hoping till next spring.......

Comment

You seem to know what your doing BM so I shall crack on

Comment

It's all trial & error, just keep them dry.................

Comment

Great tutorial from an american lady who is sadly no longer with us. I keep meaning to try it myself.

Annie's Kitchen Garden: September 22, 2009: Home Made Seed Mat Tutorial

Comment

Well, for all you newbies & oldbies alike I've had a bash & what a breeze.......For those interested:

1. Cut strips of paper & mark the seed distance (in my case 3")......note, the 1st mark is at 2" & the last at 1"........all will come clear soon........
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]42572[/ATTACH]

2. Put drops of paste on marks with in my case a crochet hook that I double up as a dibber. Use said dibber to pick up the seeds and place on paste:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]42573[/ATTACH]

3. Overlap previous tape hence the 2" & 1" marks mentioned earlier:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]42574[/ATTACH]

4. Fold the tape in half to seal the seed and stack on floor until ready to roll up:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]42575[/ATTACH]

Enjoy.
                                great tutorial. so they manage to grow their way through the paper do they, when they start to germinate? Do you think this might slow them up a little or anything?
                                Last edited by Snow; 02-03-2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X