No announcement yet.

Parsnip Tape!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried it one year and didn't find it sucessful. Possibly the paper and flour and water paste encouraged mould. Not a lot of help but I now find station sowing much more sucessful.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      Along the row between the parsnip seed I sow radishes which makes it really easy to see where the parsnips should be.
      Thats a fab tip - I'm gonna try that.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        Tried it one year and didn't find it sucessful. Possibly the paper and flour and water paste encouraged mould. Not a lot of help but I now find station sowing much more sucessful.
        Yes, that is one of my concerns. Then again, I have used loo rolls in the past as pots & they have gone mouldy but still broke down so maybe not such a problem. Due to restrictions in bending, lifting etc I keep trying to look for easier solutions. Will see how it goes.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Thats a fab tip - I'm gonna try that.
          Yes, that's also my plan.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I made these paper tapes a few years ago Mally. Hope they work for you, because if I remember rightly. mine didn't germinate!
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Cheers Flo. Have just done some Beetroot tape but due to the irregular shape of the seed was a tad more tricky to seal the paper. Anyhoos I've made a few singular Beetroot tapes which I'm gonna put into pots today to see what happens as they usually germinate pretty easy.

Comment

Parsnip seeds are faddy germinators. Will they think it's time to grow when they feel the damp paste, then die tragically when the paste dries out?
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I vaguely remeber seeing someone else do something similar with the non-toxic water based glue they used in schools .... copydex? Was that what it was called? I seem to remember that it was whole sheets of newspaper they were usind, and carrot seeds ... but of course I could have got this totally addled ...

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                    Parsnip seeds are faddy germinators. Will they think it's time to grow when they feel the damp paste, then die tragically when the paste dries out?
                    I don't know MH..........the flour/water mix dried in minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Cheers Flo. Have just done some Beetroot tape but due to the irregular shape of the seed was a tad more tricky to seal the paper. Anyhoos I've made a few singular Beetroot tapes which I'm gonna put into pots today to see what happens as they usually germinate pretty easy.
                      Just a quick update........the beetroot have come through, the parsnips will obviously take a little longer.

Comment

Wow - that was quick BM
                        Wonder what other tapes you could make?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Wow - that was quick BM
                          Wonder what other tapes you could make?
                          Yes, 3 days...........there's no flies on me.................I would imagine anything that needs direct sowing would benefit from taping if the seeds are difficult to handle or bending for periods is a problem. Need to do some studies first before I commit myself........

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Yes, 3 days...........there's no flies on me.................I would imagine anything that needs direct sowing would benefit from taping if the seeds are difficult to handle or bending for periods is a problem. Need to do some studies first before I commit myself........
                            You will be struggling with potatoes.
                            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Sowing outdoors I find spacing seeds is difficult, so oversow with lots of thinning out to do afterwards and seedwaste. Also, when its windy, the seeds go everywhere but in the rows................do these sound like good excuses for my messy, haphazard gardening results
                              Maybe seed tapes is the way forward

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                                You will be struggling with potatoes.
                                Tatties are a breeze Bill, no bending involved..........you just need to be a good shot at hitting the planting hole..........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X