No announcement yet.

Parsnip Tape!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK here's another daft suggestion from me - could you use rice paper?
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
      OK here's another daft suggestion from me - could you use rice paper?
      I supposed you could Lumpy but don't know how it would react to the flour/water mix, I think you're best off with newspaper or maybe kitchen roll. I'm converted to masking tape now, the tape is a lot easier to make.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Okay...first question...
        I take it then that you got good germination this year from the masking tape on parsnips?

Second question....
        Since I had rubbish germination on my parsnips (I think there are maybe 10 from a whole packet of seed) am I too late to start over now?
        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

First answer.............Yes, the masking tape doesn't hinder germination.

Second answer...........Were your seed old as it's better to use new seeds each year, get some more in..........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Yep, will do. First thing tomorrow...

(wasn't old seed...well, October, but it was very cheap)

Thanks BM

Comment

Good luck............I have tried for a few years to grow parsnips, all failures but last years home made tape were brilliant, I would imagine it had more to do with fresh seed rather than tape.

Comment

Well, mine were planted yesterday.

I mixed things up a bit by making patterns in the tape like; 4 x purple carrot 1 x leek 1 x marigold 1 x leek 4 x carrot......
                I've made all different ones, poached egg plant, radishes, orange and purple carrots, leeks, marigolds and cornflowers. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Thanks for the inspiration BM
                Attached Files

Comment

That's brilliant Muddled, I look forward to your updates.

Comment

Parsnip Sheets............

Just thought I would revive this thread for any newbies who may fancy having a bash.
                    Also I have ammended my Parsnip Tape to Parsnip Sheets..........................I came across some sheets of blotting paper so I thought "What the heck, it's nearly winter (which is when I tend to make my tape) so I'll give it a go"...........Each sheet measures 18"x12" and holds 28 seeds. This time I have placed the seeds on a flour/water mix and left to dry without a sheet on top, it may aid germination........ This also might be of interest to anyone having a go at SFG, just adjust the size of the sheet & use whatever seed you want............anyways, I'm waffling...........

Attached Files

Comment

Keep us posted bud, too technical for me, I just use loo roll centres for mine

Comment

They are a breeze to make GL, just a dab of flour/water with a seed on top...................then I'll just lay the sheets on the bed, spray with water & cover with sieved compost...............I made those in about a half hour.

Comment

I might go with kitchen roll this time...a parsnip in each corner and a flower in the middle of each square....just because it's so much cheaper.

Comment

Silly question......does the flour and water not trigger germination? how do you make sure it does not effect seed especially when kept till spring?
                            Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 16-10-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Hello Birthdaygirl, no the mix does not trigger germination as it dries within minutes. I kept home made seed tapes for a few months last year & had good germination rate.

Comment

Flour and water? Why do you put flour and water onto the sheet and then put the seed onto the flour and water?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X