Assorted Kale !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I'm still waiting to see a flower. never mind a berry.
    I've been wondering VC, if you are moving house, you will be starting afresh with a new garden. Are you just going to start again or take everything with you?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Its far more straight forward than that, Snadge. I'm selling my "other" house and keeping the one I've lived in for 35 years (and still haven't sorted the garden!).
      I've left my signature plants for the next lucky person - jostaberries & blackcurrants, apple, pear and plum trees, rhubarb and...........brambles
      Going to try to bring back some seakale and some thornless rose cuttings next visit.

Comment

• I have Daubenton and it was covered in whitefly, will it be ok to eat with a quick wash under the tap before cooking? do you just boil it for a few mins till it softens? I have never eaten it before

Comment

• Originally posted by damian1225 View Post
          I have Daubenton and it was covered in whitefly, will it be ok to eat with a quick wash under the tap before cooking? do you just boil it for a few mins till it softens? I have never eaten it before
          Most whitefly washes off ok (high pressure tap works best but you do tend to get soaked as well). Re cooking, I much prefer all kale not to be over-cooked (unless it's being used as crispy fried seaweed), just a minute in boiling water should be enough or steamed until tender and emerald green.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• I never boil it - you lose all the nutrients that way - I throw it in a pan with a splash of water and put a lid on for a few minutes, that's more than enough to steam it through. You can leave it a bit longer until you're happy with it.

I tend to stir fry it though, but I stir fry most veg!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
              Most whitefly washes off ok.
              and those that don't add protein

Comment

• not a vegetarian dish then! atb Dal

Comment

• Good video about growing kale

Video from Charles Dowding (No-dig) about the different kales he grows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7j9I2ZJuoc

Comment

• Thanks for posting the link VC
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• I've tried a couple of different Kales this year didn't think much to Curly scarlet kale so that's of my grow list. My favourite is still Black Kale.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• This year I grew Cavolo Nero, Pentland Brig, asparagus kale, 'Fizz' (probably won't bother with again) a German one that looks like the one in the video, and Daubenton's. I'll be interested to see if the Daubenton's flowers in Spring or not...
                        He-Pep!

Comment

• This is our mystery perennial kale, afaik Portuguese tree kale has yellow flowers, this has white.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kale.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	2375757
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Both my really tall ones have yellow flowers. There was one of the original kales that had white fiowers and the Daubentons grown from seed had white flowers.
                            Yellow seems to be the norm.
                            Yours are remarkably upright, Mr Bones!!

Comment

• I'm jealous. First it was your aubergines, then your calendula borders, and now your perennial kale.
                              He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Yours are remarkably upright, Mr Bones!!
                                We don't tie them up or do anything to them, the lower branches just split away when they get heavy leaving the central stem to carry on. The plants are picking up now after the ravages of caterpillars with new leaves improving in taste and texture.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X