Assorted Kale !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bussinspain View Post
    Pardon me here, but I thought that Red Russian and Ragged Jack were one and the same? I have ragged jack seeds from my father in law dating to back to 2012 (ish) and they are still viable.
    I'm sure there's a lot of overlap with the kales - lots of them look very similar.

Comment

• So desert island disks for kale....

If you could only take 3 types of kale seeds to your new island which would they be and why?
      Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
      Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
      Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
      Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

• Only 3 types of kale!!
        Impossible to choose. I've been looking through my kale collection, trying to decide which to sow next - one hour later and I still can't decide

Anyone else sowing kale now?

Comment

• I've got some Curly scarlet kale I'm sowing today it looks pretty on the packet
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I'm going to be sowing my winter kale, spinach and chard in modules this week, might be a bit late but never mind. I also couldn't choose only 3, I love all my kales!

And I have curly scarlet, it's really nice but mine isn't as purple as all the pictures look, it has more green in it.
            Last edited by cristalfiona; 13-07-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Kale in December

Self seeded Asparagus kale - untouched by pigeons, caterpillars

Red Russian (I think) Tiny little plants, eaten by ?pigeons, nothing to pick there!

Tall kales - that were planted at the start of this thread and still going strong

I'm amazed at the difference in quality between the Asparagus and the Red Russian - growing a few yards apart - both neglected and left to do their own thing.
              The Asparagus kale is good to eat too - I've just eaten a raw leaf and its quite tender and not too strong. Recommended
              Attached Files

Comment

• I want some - where did you buy the seeds, VC?
                He-Pep!

Comment

• Can't remember - may have been HSL. I may still have some and I think there are some in the VSP - in Greenleaves' collection

Comment

• Not sure about the taste of kale?

Here's a useful tip I saw today

Click image for larger version

Name:	21105733_10209877883689565_7915545640308259874_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2374726

Comment

• I love kale...stir fry with garlic and chilli! Add some hazelnuts warmed up in some maple syrup and pour on top, yum!

Or just steam, do an oil/vinegar dressing and top with the hazelnuts/maple syrup! Equally yum as the tartness of the dressing mixes with the sweetness of the nuts and syrup.
                      Last edited by Jay22; 28-08-2017, 09:34 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• I saw that today too

I like kale but usually a bit disguised. Kale bahji is great or stir fried with chilli, coriander, cumin and lemon. Crispy seeweeded or in a smoothie.

Veggie chicken have you ever found a kale that doesn't get white fly? The best I've found so far is peacocks tails but I'd like to find one which is a bit more leaf, bit less stalk.
                        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

• I use a lot of kale in soups one of my favourites is Ribollita.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                            Veggie chicken have you ever found a kale that doesn't get white fly? The best I've found so far is peacocks tails but I'd like to find one which is a bit more leaf, bit less stalk.
                            Peacocks tails? Tell me more!
                            There's a lot of white fly around this year here. The flat leaved ones are easier to wash than the crinklies.

Comment

• Ignore that^^^ I've found Peacocks tails - http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/cgi-bi...showprod_PTK13
                              See what you mean about not much leaf! Bit like Seaweed kale.
                              I have a weakness for Asparagus kale. Flat leaves, quite tall, and my plants are a couple of years old now. Selfseeds like crazy.

This is it last December.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	2374729

Since then, the plants have flowered and set seed. Now they are sprouting new leaves - can't complain
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 28-08-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Not sure about the taste of kale?

Here's a useful tip I saw today

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76038[/ATTACH]

Some people say you should boil the kale with a brick to keep it down. Once cooked, throw out the kale and eat the brick!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X