Assorted Kale !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assorted Kale - 2018

When I started this thread in 2013 I was a kale amateur with a mere 13 varieties in my seed box. I've acquired a few more since then. Haven't grown them all though!!
    I still think some of them have multiple names but I thought I'd list them and see if you have something different.

Afro
    Altmarker Braunkohl
    Asparagus
    Black Magic
    Cavolo Nero
    Cottagers
    Curly Scarlet
    Daubenton
    Dwarf Blue, Curly or Scotch
    Dwarf Green Curled
    Emerald Ice F1
    Friesian
    Halbhoher Gruner Krauser
    Hungry Gap
    Jersey Broad Leaf/Walking Stick
    Kadet
    Kapitan F1
    Madeley
    Midnight Sun F1
    Nero di Toscana
    Pentland Brig
    Ragged Leaf
    Redbor
    Red Russian
    Red Ursa Russian
    Reflex F1
    Rossignol
    Seaweed
    Shetland
    Starbor F1
    Starmaker/Buttonhole
    SugarLoaf
    Sutherland
    Theyer
    Thousand Head
    True Siberian
    Vates Blue Curled
    Winnetou F1

Collards also get lumped into kales on some sites
    Kale Collard Champion
    Georgia Southern Collards

Comment

• Black Magic, Cavolo Nero and Nero di Toscana are all the same thing right?
      He-Pep!

Comment

• They look the same on the packets but the Black Magic says " Bred for the British Climate & Italian Cavolo Nero type".
        I'm not convinced they're different really.

Comment

• Found this article about Vates collard/kale. https://www.arec.vaes.vt.edu/content...EScollards.pdf

Bet you didn't know the meaning of Vates To save you all looking ...........

The Vates varieties of collards and kale, were all developed at the Virginia
          Truck Experiment Station for small farms that sold their vegetables at market.
          Vates is an acronym for the Virginia Truck Experiment Station. The term
          "truck" comes from the French word "troquer," meaning "to barter".

Comment

• I love, love, love kale. When I cook it, half of my plate is kale and I eat that first. Something in it I need, I reckon, I wolf it down that quick.
            I reckon I need at least three beds of it up on the lottie
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
              Black Magic, Cavolo Nero and Nero di Toscana are all the same thing right?
              I've grow all 3 in the same bed and to me they look the same.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Black Magic is just the F1 version of Cavolo Nero, that just makes the seed more expensive. Nero di Toscana is Cavolo Nero, but 'landraced' to conditions in Tuscany haha!
                I think that Daubenton, Taunton Deane a Cottager's Kale are all the same thing. Pentland Brig also looks the same, but is less reliably perennial, here at least.

Comment

• Article about Black Magic kale:-

"Also known as Tuscan kale, Cavolo Nero, Lacinato kale and Tuscan cabbage, amongst other things"

Kale

Comment

• ^That's interesting. I thought Black Magic was 'landraced' for UK conditions. See here (and Marshall's seeds):
                    https://moreveg.co.uk/Kale-Black-Magic

Comment

• More names for the basically the same kale :-

Lacinato kale (called cavolo nero, literally "black cabbage", in Italian and often in English) is a variety of kale with a long tradition in Italian cuisine, especially that of Tuscany. It is also known as Tuscan kale, Tuscan cabbage, Italian kale, dinosaur kale, black kale, flat back cabbage, palm tree kale, or black Tuscan palm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacinato_kale

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                        ^That's interesting. I thought Black Magic was 'landraced' for UK conditions. See here (and Marshall's seeds):
                        https://moreveg.co.uk/Kale-Black-Magic
                        Mmmm, it is significantly different it seems, enough to have an AGM of it's own, something I didn't realise, and it's listed as F1 in some seed catalogues. It's all so confusing when they do that isn't it?

Comment

• I've read that Cottager's Kale was originally bred in the 1850s in Oxfordshire by crossing Brussels sprouts with a kale variety.
                          Was this the original Brukale/Flower sprout/Petit Posy that is being flogged this days?

Comment

• VC with you growing so many different kale varieties which ones would you recommend for salad leaves and which ones would you say taste the sweetest or if you prefer your veg to have a sharper taste what would you recommend
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Not a clue, rary. Sorry.
                              Small, young leaves = sweet and tender. Bigger, mature leaves = stronger taste and tougher..
                              I think its about when you pick the leaves rather than the variety.

Comment

• All this talk of kale had me digging out my kale seed hoard. I lost count how many varieties there were . but more than 30.
                                May try to grow one of each to see how similar they are. (Having a sense of deja vu now).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X