No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to include flowers Jonnyt to attract beneficial insects.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Hello All
      I found this list quite useful it helped me sort out the chaos of 2 3ftx2ft beds, 1 3ft x3ft bed, 1 3ftx1ft bed and several oblong ex pallet containers as well as the rose arch that grows runners, sugar snaps and clematis.
      http://www.gardenforumhorticulture.c...-Gardening.pdf
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Oh and this!
        http://thefoodproject.org/sites/defa...gGuide2010.pdf
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• This is interesting to me as I only have a small patch 3 x 2.3 M in size.
          I'd love a raised bed but I'm not in a position to do that really. Does that matter or could I still try this SFG method?

Comment

• Hello Snow - You definately don't need a raised bed to do SFG. The books etc seem to show them because raised beds are easy to divide into the 12 inch squares. When we had a much bigger garden we divided our patch with string secured in the dirt with tent pegs.
            Like you we now have a tiny growing space and yes we have a couple of very small raised beds but other than that most of what we grow is planted in spud bags, planters of various shapes and sizes, we use the SFG method under our small apple tree to grow onions and garlic in the flower border. Strawberries and winter squash grow in old tyres.
            SFG really encourages you to be inventive about where or what you grow in - let your imagination run wild.
            Sue

Comment

• Thanks Lumpy.

I haven't had time to read everything yet, but I have a few questions floating in my mind already:
              1. how does SFG impact on pests and mildew and so on? I thought the idea of spacing is that you ensure good air flow and nothing competing for space.
              2. how do you physically get to the patch that isn't accessible? I'd be alright on two sides but the other two are bordered by fences, so I'd only be able to reach maybe a couple of feet in from two sides.
              3. how do potatoes and corguettes work with SFG, because they need quite a lot of space.

Comment

• Heyup Snow.
                1. The idea behind SFG is that due to the different plants being close together it confuses the beasties & attracts beneficial insects especially if you plant some flowers in some squares.
                2. You may have to lay either a scaffold board or some paving stones splitting the 2.3m length into 2x1m beds with a .3m path down the middle.
                3. I wouldn't put Spuds/Courgettes in SFG, as Lumpy says, they will take up too much room & are better off in bins, tubs, tyres, builders bags etc.
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Hello Snow
                  Beasties and bugs will happen whichever way you grow your veggies. Keeping an eye out for signs is a daily event.
                  I grow my spuds in bags, courgette in an old plastic storage box, carrots and parsnips in deep buckets (I use half long varieties or stumpy ones) and I have 1 winter squash plant in 3 stacked tyres. At least the plant trails down rather than across.
                  We have a very small space to grow and never intended to provide ALL of our veggie needs or be able to bottle or freeze any excess.
                  Thats what I think SFG is about - getting something fresh every day but having no excess.
                  Sue

Comment

• Hi all.
                    Been doing a bit of reading about this SFG thing and as i only have a small back garden with a 6x4 greenhouse for my tomatoes it has sort of given me interest into having a go.

One thing i am not sure about is if a 4x4 ft box is to be used filled with compost mix does it have to be changed every year or can you just remove part of it and re-vitalize with fresh compost / fertilizer.

Comment

• Hello Colin & welcome to the vine after many years lurking. When I grew crops using the SFG method, I just treat the soil the same as any other bed, I didn't bother with any fandangled mixes. Good luck & let us know how it goes.
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 26-05-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Hello Colin and welcome to the Vine.
                        I don't replace the compost at all but I do mix in some of the granule feed and stir in some of my homemade compost, which is ful of worms. The worms then drag the new compost into the old which feeds it and the worm movement itself replaces any lost oxygen in the soil.
                        The thing with SFG is you intentionally cram things in so as soon as something is edible you pull every other one etc to give more space for the remainder to grow.

Comment

• Thanks BM & Lumpy.
                          BM , yes i have been lurking for quite a while but now is the time to get started with veg once again.

Lumpy, I am now quite relieved the compost does not have to be replaced every year as i have nowhere to put it really .

My SFG should be ready in a couple of weeks as i have still got a few jobs around the garden to finish of yet. Will let you know how it goes with photos , thanks once again.

Comment

• It's not really 'replacing the soil' but what I do on my square foot beds is add five handfuls of good compost, two handfuls of sharp sand, and one handful of organic fertiliser, every time I replant each square.

Over time this means the soil gets really improved and you are effectively 'replacing the soil' little by little. If you are already on sandy soil, you can probably miss out on the sand or vermiculite, but on our heavy clay soil it is vital.

Comment

• I have no soil at all so will have to buy some in, i was thinking of buying soil and adding compost , farm yard manure and organic fertilizer then mixing it and see how it goes.
                              Regards colin.

Comment

• I just use compost with added multi fertilizer. However, I do add any soil that has been dug up in the garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X