No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything's worth a go. Otherwise there will be empty square til next year now xxx
    My favourite vegetable is steak

Comment

• Originally posted by kitchengardener View Post
      Anything's worth a go. Otherwise there will be empty square til next year now
      Is Green Manure used in SFG?
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

• I would only be tempted to use green manure in SFG if the bed was completely emptied. It would be a divel to control otherwise.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• You could maybe sow a square of field beans, though. They'd be easy to control.
          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• You probably already knew this or its in this thread somewhere, but, just in case............
            I've just been reading Mel Bartholomew's " Square metre gardening" book. I had always assumed it was the same as Square foot gardening but with bigger squares - otherwise, why would there need to be a new book ?
            I was completely wrong Sq Metre gardening means 9 squares within a one metre square bed. The new book has been "anglicised" so that it is more relevant to UK gardeners.
            If you understand the language and principles in SFG you don't need to buy SMG
            As you were................

Comment

• Yup, SFG has 12" squares but SMG has 13" squares............any reason to make a few bucks out of a new book.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• which version of square foot method do you use:
                the 1981,2005 or all new square foot.

Comment

• The version of the book is academic, the principle is the same throughout, even in the Square Metre Gardening book by the same author, in that one the metre is divided into 9 squares, each 330mm square
                  so basically a mertication of the original book.
                  Before you ask,Yes I have read them.
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• bearded bloke since you read all 4 books why not tell the difference that are shown in methods in the books; since if was only the spacing that was the only important part ofmethod the books would need to be only 30 pages.

Comment

• Originally posted by bananamelon View Post
                      bearded bloke since you read all 4 books why not tell the difference that are shown in methods in the books; since if was only the spacing that was the only important part ofmethod the books would need to be only 30 pages.
                      I am guessing they are revised editions so are treated as the same book but updated or more relevant versions so you only need the one book ever. Rather than buying a book and then an add on or supplement (book so and so part two....)

Whether you chose to read all four is personal choice. I don't think we really need BB to do a book review on each version

Comment

• Originally posted by bananamelon View Post
                        bearded bloke since you read all 4 books why not tell the difference that are shown in methods in the books; since if was only the spacing that was the only important part ofmethod the books would need to be only 30 pages.
                        Perhaps you should ask Mel Bartholomew why he keeps reissuing his book - or read them yourself and tell us.
                        There is no need to be controversial on this Forum. If you persist in being argumentative you will be shown the exit.

Comment

• What would you say is the best book for a newbie wanting to try SFG??

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Catseyes View Post
                            What would you say is the best book for a newbie wanting to try SFG??

This thread, probably.
                            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catseyes View Post
                              What would you say is the best book for a newbie wanting to try SFG??
                              Hi Cats if you look at the very first post Mallly has put a great pdf link in for SFG, if you carry on going through the thread you will get the blurb for books.

Comment

• I fully endorse the principles of square foot gardening after moving house in the spring.

I have around 100 squares worth and you would be amazed at what I've squeezed out of this1

A years supply of onions
                                Around 50 leaks yet to be harvested
                                Probably 75 parsnips yet to be harvested
                                Salad throughout the summer
                                Russian red kale for every Sunday lunch
                                Multiple crops of carrots
                                Broad beans
                                Mange tout
                                Lots of French Beans

Trust me the close spacing really works

Comment