Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

I'm just doing a mixture of topsoil (3 bags for price of 2 at homebase & good reviews) and some multipurpose compost.

Took a late decision this week to replace top 6 inches of soil in my two 1.2m square beds which were badly affected by cat poo last year - no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my mind around eating salad grown in it! I've got some bird netting coming to protect the beds this time which I'll throw over the hoops.

Topsoil/compost is the mixture I've always used to top up and I put manure down in the winter.

Comment

• The last time I got topsoil it was curtesy of Freecycle.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Cazp, many thanks for that will check homebase out i think

Comment

• 'Scuse my butting in, but my top tip for protecting plants from cats is upturned wire hanging baskets - like these: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...---30cm-428809 pegged down with tent pegs. Obviously suits some type of plant better than others, and you can either leave the plant to grow through or remove it when it's a bit more robust.

I started using them over cat nip and the neighbouring aquilegias that were getting a bit battered, but I can't see why it wouldn't be useful for some veg, too.

Other than that I mostly use twiggy sticks or empty plastic bottles. I own cats and love them, so I'm used to gardening around them.

*butting out again*

Comment

• Hi 1Bee
            Thanks for the tip! My cat will make the maximum use of the tiniest of spaces between plants to do her business. She even got between the canes in a pot I was growing runner beans in last year - maybe this is where the wire hanging basket might come in handy to protect the soil! Twiggy sticks are a good idea too.
            Last edited by cazp; 28-05-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by colin1957 View Post
              Cazp, many thanks for that will check homebase out i think
              I just checked again and it's actually 4 bags of topsoil for the price of three. Good luck with fillling your raised beds.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                'Scuse my butting in, but my top tip for protecting plants from cats is upturned wire hanging baskets - like these: Value Wire Hanging Basket - 30cm pegged down with tent pegs. Obviously suits some type of plant better than others, and you can either leave the plant to grow through or remove it when it's a bit more robust.*
                I do the same with seedlings/vulnerable plants as I'm a cat owner and also have foxes in the neighbourhood who love digging multiple holes (as well as poo). I also re-used some old plastic trellis netting which was hanging around the garden, either laid flat on soil or in an arched tunnel pegged down, and that helped too.
                Last edited by elleme; 28-12-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Tried to look at the PDF and I just get

"Not Found

The requested URL /blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sqft_step_by_step.pdf was not found on this server."

Comment

• ^^^^ Sadly organicgarden.org.uk who hosted this website where this .pdf was located no longer exist, hence the 404 message
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• OK, I've done some digging around (see what I did there) & this should give a good insight ... http://www.suwanee.com/pdfs/Square%2...P%20031610.pdf ...

Comment

• There are some free to download & print guide sheets here ... Printable square foot gardening cheat sheets

Comment

• Big thank you to everyone who has posted! Laid up with a cold, so Ive read all 84 pages. Think this might be way to go for me whilst i get my allotment established...

Comment

• Speedy recovery Bex.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• I'm thinking about creating a bed which combines a keyhole garden with SFG.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Sounds a good idea lolie, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Besides, they don't have to be squares, they can be any shape you desire.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X