No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've defiantly heard about marigolds before so will plant a row of these along the 6 squares made up of peas and beans. I know they are cheap and easy to get hold of, any other suggestions of plants that do this job that are also cheap and easy to find?

I think ill try leeks, this year will all be a trial anyway so no reason not to give them a go and see if they work in my space. I'll take some pictures once the beds are filled and ready to go and keep planning/reading.

Comment

• Looking at your plan, my concern would be 32 radishes all ready at the same time, that's a lot to eat in a week or so.
      I would put the leeks in those spots, as 32 leeks are more versatile and can sit in the ground till needed.
      I grow leeks that, depending where I put them each year, get between 3 and 6 hours sun. They don't get anywhere near as big as the shop ones but they're still a usable size.

Radishes grow quickly and I would stick 8 spaced around your baby kale plant and a few dotted around as and when needed or they fit.
      Don't forget to plan what you'll sow after the peas have finished for example, if you want more radishes they could go in there for example or you could try some lettuce which as it'll be summer and hopefully hotter, they will be happier in shade than sun

I use poached egg plants (seeds 25p lidl or aldi and they self seed if you let them) only grow to 6" tall, bees love them and slugs and snails don't eat them. A marigold doesn't make it through the night, just a stem left in the morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tadpole123 View Post
        I use poached egg plants, only grow to 6" tall, bees love them and slugs and snails don't eat them..
        Thanks for the heads up, will have to give them a go.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Thanks for the advice Tadpole! As well as swapping some of the radishes for Leeks your post also shows me I still don't understand enough about what will be ready when and thus leaving a blank square in which something else should go in. I need to know what come and goes first and what should follow for the later months. I'll look this up next.

Today I painted my vertical herb garden (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...den_77289.html) and raised beds. Have had the first run of dry days so trying to make the most of any free time I have to get these new projects up and running. Yesterday I started considering what to plant and researched vegies that are OK with shade everyone's help is really appreciated. I plan to go seed hunting this weekend and people on here have mentioned Aldi and Lidl so I can look out for the poached egg plants too.

Nicola

Comment

• A few other shops worth a visit are B&M, Homebargains, Poundstretcher (Instore) and the multitude of £ shops on the high street.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Luckily the're all so close together, so I can try them all. Its hard to know what will be cheaper where with all these shops now. finding a 'bargain' in a pound shop only top see the same thing for 70p in B&M is really annoying :s
              Last edited by NicolaD; 28-02-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Leave the £ shops till last............at least you know what the price will be..........

Comment

• Thanks Bigmally, and sorry for the slow reply, it's been a hard week toddler-wise

I understand how it works now, I think I was being a bit ambitious and wanting to plant everything at once! I'll start small (like Mel advises in the book) and see how I get on. I'll include some more flowers too, might have to pop back to Lidl for some poached egg plants

Comment

• Good idea IE.........the main thing is that you enjoy it & it doesn't become a chore.

Comment

• The other good thing about poached egg plants is they're hardy, so no faffing required. Mine started growing several weeks ago, but not where I want them, so I'll dig them up and move them soon as a few squares are ready.

Comment

• I have really enjoyed this thread, thanks all!

I've just got hold of a plot up the lotty and been a bit stuck as to where to start with it. Lots of people on here have given lots of fab advice and one thing mentioned was sqft gardening. I think this is just what I need. A space and time saving project that'll easy me in gently. I am hoping to use the sqft gardening for things such as salads, herbs, some flowers, onions, leeks - that sort of thing. Using the rest of the lotty for spuds, rhubarb, some squash etc.

Being up north where it is bladdy freezing, I'll be well behind the southerners and that has panicked me a bit, seeing everyone all getting on with sowing seeds, some even acclimatising plants to outside temps and all that.. Must stay calm!

I'll be down the lotty for the first real time this weekend and will mark out my sqrft.. squares! I do have a question though..

I have a gentle sloped lot, drainage doesn't seem terrible in the one I have, even at the "bottom" though I imagine it is a little more damp than up the top. I won't be creating raised beds for this, just creating a defined bed and grid over the soil. Shall I mark out my grids and borders at the top of the plot, or the bottom? The whole plot gets the sun from sunrise to sunset, so light isn't an issue.

Comment

• I guess it would depend on if you want to grow tall crops it's better to have it staggering if you plot faces south then all the tall stuff needs to go at the back so it doesn't shade . I think !

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• Thanks Jake, yes I see what you mean. There is a path between top and bottom though, quite substantial, about 4foot wide (or deep, whatever lol), so if I used the bottom, the only thing the taller plants "at the back" would shade is the path behind it, if that makes sense?

Top= 5m x 5m
                            4 foot path
                            Bottom= 5m x 5m

I'll maybe have to get a bit clever and see if I can't put together a diagram? Hehe!
                            Last edited by Maddiesaur; 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM. Reason: Me being a numpty

Comment

• How much area are you sq fting in ft ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• Wouldn't worry about early sowers, many have heated greenhouses.
                                I've sown some toms for example but some are still in the packet, very 50/50 if there is any advantage to those of us without a greenhouse to sow early. You're not to late for anything and being 'up north' your early for some.

A little bit of research into plant hights at the start saves problems later, so look up the heights of what you intend to sow in the squares to help decide what goes where.
                                For example I sow my lettuce behind my leeks. Leeks are tiny to start with and by time it gets to June/july my lettuce are grateful for some shade from the mid day summer sun. So hot here last year I ended up growing them in pots in my north facing front garden.

I'd stick all your taller things like runner beans, cucumbers and squashes as they like space etc at the top of your plot and the sqft at the lower end I think. Difficult to say with out seeing it.

A good planner to have a play around with Vegetable Planner

And a guide to your frost dates for your area http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather1.asp
                                Once you've set it, on the left hand side are fruit and veg links. Click on cucumbers for example and it will tell you when roughly you should be sowing and planting out. Once you've been doing it for a while you'll know your local weather and climate and when's best. Unless we have snow in April again like last year when you through the rule book out the window!
                                Last edited by Tadpole123; 05-03-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X