This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ameno View Post
    Planted out three tenderstem broccoli plants....
    When would you expect to harvest these?
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 03-05-2022, 05:51 PM. Reason: Spellinggg
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

When would you expect to harvest these?
      If we get a warm May, by the first week of June. If it's a bit cooler, maybe mid-June.
      That's just the first harvest, though, which is usually small. They won't start cropping heavily until late June.
      After that, they'll keep cropping well until at least late October.

I'd really recommend tenderstem broccoli, actually. The seeds a more expensive than normal calabrese broccoli, but it both starts cropping sooner and crops over a much longer period. 12 or so plants is usually enough to give three of us two portions of broccoli a week for over 4 months.

Comment

• I cut our wibbly wobbly hedge. There are too many straight flat topped hedges.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Planted out another gutter of mangetout.
          Refilled my pallet compost bin with the contents of the other compost bin, along with half a builders' bag of shreddings and grass, and some other assorted waste.
          Potted up some sprouted runner and French bean seeds.

Comment

• Planted out module sown lettuce into buckets.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Dug over about a third of the big bed. Lots of horsetail removed.
              Potted up 11 sweet potato cuttings and a load of sprouted runner beans.

Comment

• Planted out the first red cabbage seedling. Am putting them in gaps left by my cauliflowers as I harvest them. Earthed up potatoes again, first send second earlies all through and the first of the main crop appearing. Planted out sunflowers, zinnia, a dahlia and some cosmos in my cut flower bed.

Comment

• Couple more ed cabbage planted out. Also a few peas I had started in the gh. Bought a garlic chive plant and planted it. Dug out and moved a feverfew and spring pea (hideously deep roots). Potted on some tomatoes, almost in final pots and planets trusses plus a few flowers.

Comment

• Emptied my GH then pressure washed inside and out. Left it a while till the central path dried then put the wooden shelves back on the racking, filling the low one with tools and pots, the tall one will be holding my Tom's until they get planted in the borders in a day or so.
                    ​​​​​​Those shelves will be removed and the Tom's will grow through racking.
                    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-05-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Yesterday I moved the brassica cage then today, potted on Courgettes, planted out corn salad and mixed lettuce.
                      Took out a dead clematis after checking there were no birds nesting.
                      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-05-2022, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Planted out 3 calabrese under cloche on the plot. Also 6 beetroot and 5 celeriac from modules. Thinned my parsnips which was a first for me as I never normally manage to get enough to germinate to have to bother.
                        Treated the raised bed with nematodes as part of this years better lettuce plan.
                        It rained a little overnight and is forecast for tomorrow too which is good as some direct sown seeds have failed to germinate due to dryness so I can resow today to take advantage.

Comment

• Planted my toms and Marigolds into the GH border.
                          Sunflowers and the spare Marigolds were planted at the end of a veg bed.
                          Found homes for more lettuce then weeded the parsnip bed now its easier to see which are weeds.

Comment

• Weeded the onions and two of the mini raised beds.
                            Dug out the the strawberry plants which had the green-flower virus, and mulched the remaining plants
                            Earthed up my maincrop potatoes.
                            Did some more digging.

Comment

• Are folk planting out their courgettes, squash etc. yet ? Been getting mine ready by putting them in the cold frame but thinking I might get them out this weekend.

Comment

• Annie my courgettes are still in the GH but will be moving them to the coldframe once they're grown a bit more.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X