X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Here's the new thread for 2023

What I did today 2023. - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Put in new wires between the posts where I dug out the unproductive grape vine, dug the area over and dug out the remaining grape roots, bindweed, and stray strawberries, and planted a new vine (which should actually be the correct variety this time).
    Also started taking down my dead bean plants and putting the stuff on the compost heap.

I also uncovered the outdoor yuzu tree (well, more of a bush) today and inspected the damage after the cold (I think the coldest we had was -5). Some of the top-most leaves (the softest ones) show frost damage, and a couple small branches have snapped off (probably those winds the last two days), but otherwise it seems absolutely fine.
    I have yet to check on the lemon I have in the mini greenhouse on my patio.

Oh, and my peach tree has finally lost it's leaves. I was starting to worry it never would, as it was still green and in full leaf a week ago, but it seems the cold spell followed by strong winds did the trick, and it is now bare.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Pruned the grape vines, then tied them in anew about 6 inches higher than they were, to try and get them out of reach of the badgers.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    The last couple of days I’ve been pulling up and composing self seeded nasturtiums that have been frosted.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I have just finished putting the frost shields on my cape gooseberries. The frost took its time cutting the tops down but it got there. They are supported by the manure that will be the mulch in spring.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    A few days ago I shredded a load of stuff I brought back from the allotment, then today I took it to the allotment, turned the compost bin there, and mixed in all of the shreddings.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Fleeced all my annuals and grouped them in a sheltered corner, hoping some will make it through to next year, (last year I accidently overwintered petunias, verbena and bacopa but I don't remember long cold spells last winter, so we'll see). Fleeced geraniums and calibrachoa in the greenhouse.
    Put out suet pellets and fat balls for the birds as a cold weather treat to top up their regular peanuts, sunflower hearts and oats with lard stirred through.

Leave a comment:

• DannyK
    replied
    Blew an RCD when I plugged in a greenhouse heater. Slipped on some leaves and ended sitting in the mud. Apart from that it was OK.
    Luckily I had a spare heater.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Planted my onion sets, potted up some dwarf fruit trees and moved all my geraniums, which are still flowering, into the greenhouse.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Finally planted my Elephant and Eden Rose Garlic and my Griselle Shallots. Still have onions to go in.
    So much to do!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Pulled out half of my pepper plants and cut them up into the compost.
    Collected a load of fallen leaves and rotten windfall apples for the compost bin.
    Dug out the blackcurrant and grape vine which are to be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Pulled up half my outdoor lettuce and put into the fridge. It’s supposed to be 2C tonight and -2C later this week. I’ve tripled the fleece but I imagine I’ll be pulling the rest tomorrow.
    Wouldn’t it be amazing if they lasted until 1st Dec!

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I had a clump of crocus that had stopped flowering there was so many in a small clump,been there for over 15 years so I split the clump of bulbs up into four plantings to give them more space,hopefully they’ll flower this year with happiness
    Just found this photo of the clump from 2017,looked great for years but didn’t flower last year,overcrowded until now,it’ll be good if they all spread like that,could take many years,come back in twenty years for an update on this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FEB9F413-4CE0-4992-BD9D-ABFCFE24856E.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	905.7 KB
ID:	2554607
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 28-11-2022, 01:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Got my onions planted today,next to my broccoli in the soil & a few around my broccoli in the containers. It started raining about ten minutes before I finished,rain stopped me earlier too,I need a waterproof coat,my jackets like a teddy bear. Still got garlic & peas to plant out/sow.
    Yesterday I put a few more stakes in for my broccoli,incase of any windy days.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    The other day I went out there with my onion sets to plant,I took down the last bean teepee,cut down one finished courgette plant,weeded the strawberry bed & around the broccoli plants etc then it poured with rain & I went indoors & I still have the onions,garlic & peas to go out. It seems to be raining every day at the moment.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X