• Show
Clear All

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out a load of stuff at the allotment:
    17 sweetcorn plants
    15 Cobra french beans
    16 of my own hybrid giant runner beans

Also set up a make-shift mini-polytunnel over my sweet potatoes, and transplanted one of the duck potato plants into a new container (they're an aquatic vegetable, and I must have missed more tubers last year than I had thought, as about ten of them where coming up when I only expected three).

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out three more Oregon Homestead squash plants in my back garden. Also potted up 15 sprouted sweetcorn seeds.

I had been hoping to plant out my first batch of sweetcorn and my runner beans at the allotment today, but it has been raining too much.

Leave a comment:

• Sweet savory
    replied
    Planted out the autumn leeks on the plot. Also a half row of carrots sown there and covered with board to keep moist for the first few days. It has been very dry here and the rain forecast today has not yet arrived.
    The slugs have found a vulnerable runner bean and are reducing it to a stalk. Hoping the rest will wizz up the poles and escape. Planted out 2 Brussels sprouts 2 days ago and they look ok. Perpetual spinach planted in march is going to seed, probably due to lack of rain. I will resow.
    Planted out cucumber in its pot with a plant halo thingy round it. This worked well last year. I have another cuke but not sure we will need it as we only have 1 cucumber fan.
    I have rooted a couple of tomato sideshoots and the aim is to put them in spaces on the plot as they are determinate.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out most of my squash plants:
    3 Tahiti Melon
    3 Australian Butter
    1 Oregon Farmstead
    1 Marina di Chioggia
    1 Plovdivska (a Bulgarian variety)

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I only potted up one pot today with really old compost & a tiny bit of BFB added,a black cherry tomato (I put a little bit of brand new compost around the stem for the new roots) with a sweet pepper & French marigold. Watered all the little pots. I haven’t watered the onions & garlic because we had quite a bit of rain with thunder & lightning the other day. But I watered the plants I planted out the other day because they didn’t get all the rain
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 22-05-2022, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Planted out two of my courgettes I've got a cloche for them overnight.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Worked out which of the tomato plants I’ll keep and which I will give away. Mainly sungold to give away as I sowed lots late when early germination of other seeds wasn’t looking good.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Did some jobs in the garden rather than the allotment today.
    I dug over the squash patch.
    Potted up 12 pepper plants into their final pots.
    Potted up 9 more rooted sweet potato cuttings
    And repotted lots of stuff: three cacti, the blueberry, the calamondin, the peach tree, and the begonia.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    Direct sowed some basil and sowed cut and come again in gaps where the previous sowing hadn’t germinated. Potted on a tomato then ran out of compost. Planted out my sweetcorn.
    Also sowed Cavolo Nero seeds. They were a huge success last year, easy to grow and great crop at time when I wasn’t getting much else from the garden.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Seed sowing this morning.
    Planted module sown spring onions.
    Weeded the strawberry bed and GH borders.
    Mulched between the bean row with grass clippings.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Potted on 16 broccoli seedlings into 3” pots. I’ve put 14 in this tub with netting over to stop cabbage whites,otherwise they’ll have eggs on before I even plant them out The stick in the middle has masking tape on the end to soften the end so it doesn’t tear. The other two plants are surrounded by marigolds on the patio table. Weeded the growing areas & thinned the apple tree fruit,did a little bit of pruning
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6CF2792A-CAB4-43D5-B87D-BBA09528C6B9.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2546160

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Direct sowed some basil and sowed cut and come again in gaps where the previous sowing hadn’t germinated. Potted on a tomato then ran out of compost. Planted out my sweetcorn.

Leave a comment:

• MelanieSW
    replied
    Planted out courgettes, marrows and buttercup squashes, plus some sweetcorn in-between (2 sisters rather than 3). And also planted out the yacon and some chard seedlings.
    And weeding weeding weeding...

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Lots of hoeing around the veg. Dug up the lemon balm from the front garden as was getting too big. Put it in a pot on the deck. Took a tall grass from the back garden to fill the gap.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Planted out the first few plants,black cherry,peacevine cherry & hahms gelbe tomatoes,two French marigolds & one cucumber diva. Found loads of snails hiding under pot rims & there was about eight inside a bulb planter. Got some pots ready to sow runner beans in a minute

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X