This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the heads up Pen.
    We had -1C last night and it’s frazzled my magnolia flowers. No doubt I’ll see the new rose growth has been caught again too.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Thanks for the heads up Pen.
      We had -1C last night and it’s frazzled my magnolia flowers. No doubt I’ll see the new rose growth has been caught again too.
      Yes the penalty for nice blue skies at this time of year is often frosty nights. Tonight may be frosty in places again too.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Yep -1 to -2 here tonight so I've only got lettuce, sweet peas and radishes in my GH everything else is on windowsills.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• There has not been much snow around here. Perhaps it is going to be a white Easter this year.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            Some gorgeous spring weather coming up next week with temperatures in the high teens for many places. Please do not be fooled into thinking that the threat of cold weather has gone. The models are gradually firming up on the possibility of a cold snap around the end of the month, which would be quite enough to produce some damaging frosts and possibly a bit of snow. Very early days at the moment and everything could change, but the potential is there.
            The models had the general idea pretty much spot on at 10 days, which is impressive. The cold front is currently moving south, taking some sleet and snow with it, the snow risk mainly on higher ground. There is a yellow warning of ice in parts of the north east. Wintery showers are likely in the northern half of the country tomorrow with the possibility of more general rain turning to sleet or snow in places in the south east.

The cold snap is likely to last over the weekend, but the snow risk diminishes after tomorrow as high pressure takes over from the west.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Just long enough to zap the fruit blossoms again eh?

Thanks for the heads up Pen. Much appreciated as always.

Comment

• We've got snow Pen luckily its not really settling more due later though.

Comment

• We had snow when we were driving home from shopping today,very light for about two minutes,that’s enough for this year

Comment

• You were spot on Pen…we had no snow this morning - just rain, but this afternoon was brill…loads of hailstones, strong winds, sleet, snow….only missing thunder and lightning!

Deffo gone very cold.

Comment

• We had snow showers and sunny intervals all day.
                      Last edited by Plot70; 01-04-2022, 03:31 AM.
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Snow showers here yesterday and some quite heavy snow in Harrogate, although it melted in most places very quickly. Surprised to wake up to a blizzard here this morning as the showers were supposed to fade for today. I had to leg it to the allotment and shake the snow off the tunnel net before it damaged it. We then had a heavy hail shower and I had to do the same again.

Things should warm up after the weekend, but the models are starting to firm up on another cold snap from Thursday, which could again involve snow possibly as far south as the midlands. Plenty of time for this to change though.

Comment

• Please be aware that after the summer-like temperatures we have enjoyed recently, things are going to get colder from the west tonight into tomorrow as a cold front brings a change of air mass and wind direction. The high pressure that has kept us warm and dry moves north, introducing cooler easterly winds. Night frosts are possible in places so be ready with the fleece if you have anything vulnerable outside. This looks likely to last for several days, with only a gradual warm-up, possibly followed by another colder spell if the high moves west towards Greenland as this would pull the wind round into the north, although that is too far away for any certainty.

Comment

• Thanks Pen, it has made a change to have good weather over a Bank holiday.

Comment

• Hi Pen. Hope all is well! If you have a few minutes to give us your thoughts on likely weather for Summer, I'd be pleased to read them? I'd hazard a guess it will be warm in parts, but also possibly wet!

Comment

• I haven't really had much chance to have a look at summer. My immediate thoughts are that the pattern of weather that we have been in for some time (warm and mostly dry) is changing and at least in the short term the high pressure seems to be drifting west and possibly north. This ties in with the summer weather I would expect from my limited knowledge of the effect of La Nina, which is still ongoing in the equatorial pacific. You would generally expect a cool and wet summer from this setup.

The caveat, and it is a very big one, is that the climate is now changing so fast that past indicators may not mean anything at all. This was demonstrated well by last winter, which on all known past data "should" have been cold. It quite definitely wasn't. Weather models are struggling with predictions 10 days ahead - a couple of days ago bank holiday weekend looked like a heatwave, now it looks more likely to be cool and showery, although that may change again.

If you forced me to predict, I would say that a cool summer is more likely than a hot one because of La Nina, but I wouldn't be in any way confident of a particularly wet one. The Azores high keeps sending ridges this way, and if it carries on doing that, cool and dry is a distinct possibility. The honest answer is I don't really know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X