This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Pen.
    I spend most of my outdoor time under the gazebo I nip out do a bit then scurry back into the shade Early mornings and evening are the best times to garden just now fo rme.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I am to some extent able to cope with the sun as I tan quite easily. There is nothing stopping me getting overheated though.
      The other problem is that I start looking like I am from a hot country.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Feeling sorry for my daughter….28C and a teething baby, not a good combination
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Plot….my father was like that - first time in the sun for several months and lashings of olive oil () and he’d be dark brown the next day.
          No idea where that gene went to but I certainly didn’t get it

Comment

• Last year was less hot but with less haze and the top of my head got burned.
            I just need a few hours before the sun gets too high in the early spring and then I can go out in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghexton View Post
              Penellype Hope things are well.
              Whats august like? heat wave? i hope.
              Think there is some big tropical storms over the other side of the pond.
              The beginning of August currently looks more changeable and cooler, but it is too far away to be sure. Some of the models bring back the high pressure and possibly the heat further into August, others don't. At this timescale it is little better than guesswork to be honest.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• The Met Office have released their first ever amber extreme heat warning for the south west of the UK into south Wales. This covers today until Thursday from 4pm to midnight, but to be frank it is going to be uncomfortably hot most of the time. Scattered thunderstorms are also a possibility.

Please also be aware that UV levels are extremely high in the sunshine and it won't take long to burn.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• I looked at that extreme heat warning and wondered if it would be like 1976 when they appointed a minister for the drought and a day or two later the rain started with a huge thunder storm.
                  The UV feels slightly less than last year when the top of my head got burned. The rest of me is OK as long as I build up a tan before the sun gets too strong in the spring.

Comment

• I think we are a fair way off a drought as we had a very wet spell not that long ago. It looks likely that the hot spell will break with thunderstorms at the weekend, although there is some uncertainty as to how far north these will get. In any case it is likely to be much cooler and more unsettled next week.

Comment

• The Met Office have now extended their amber extreme heat warning to N Ireland until Friday. There are also yellow and amber thunderstorm warnings for the eastern half of the country from the midlands southwards.

The storms are moving only slowly, so if you catch one it could last some time.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-07-20
                      Last edited by Penellype; 20-07-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Pen we had a thunderstorm this afternoon it lasted from 1 to 4 ish it did rain but only for 4 or 5 mins great bit spots that dried as soon as they landed.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• We also had "mickey taking" thunder with half a dozen drops of rain for most of the afternoon.

Comment

• There have been quite a few big slow moving storms about in the past couple of days. If you are on the edge of one you may see lightning and hear thunder but there may not be much rain. Even if the radar shows some rainfall it is quite likely that only the biggest drops and hail will reach the ground when it is so hot - most of the small stuff will evaporate on the way down.

Comment

• All change over the weekend as thunderstorms and more general rain move up from the south introducing cooler weather. The remainder of July looks much more unsettled with temperatures sliding to possibly a little below average by the start of August. I think we will look back on this hot spell as being "summer" for 2021 as there is little sign at the moment of anything dry and warm coming up. Things can change quite quickly though, so as always nothing is certain, particularly beyond 5 days.

Comment

• Thanks Pen - much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X