This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff!
    Thanks Pen! - Totally get the unpredictability of it, but reckon I'll want to get my winter crops in earlier rather than later. (but hopefully it will be a less pesty growing season if it's cold)

Mike

Comment

We do indeed need a cold winter to control the slugs.
      I have got a frog hibernating place with a good thermal mass down the side of the rain water overflow pool.
      I am yet to fatherm out if the forecast is going to be right or wrong.
      The best I can do is even number bonus ball on the lottery for right and odd for wrong.
      The weather seems to change in response to things that can be as trivial as a gnat farting.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Just heard on the news that they're in to the Greek alphabet for the hurricanes this season having run out of names! Not often that happens!

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
          Just heard on the news that they're in to the Greek alphabet for the hurricanes this season having run out of names! Not often that happens!
          Yes very rare. Sub-tropical storm Alpha has just hit Portugal, very unusual (but not unheard of) for a tropical system to hit Europe while still with tropical characteristics. Beta has formed in the Gulf Of Mexico and is heading for the gulf coast of America. Major hurricane Teddy is heading for Bermuda and will affect our weather indirectly next week by causing warm air advection, building high pressure in the Atlantic, which will turn us cold, wet and windy. While newspaper predictions of blizzards are way OTT, there could be the first snow of the season on the tops of Scottish mountains.

There is also a medicane (Mediterranean hurricane) impacting Greece at present.
          Last edited by Penellype; 19-09-2020, 02:42 PM.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Apparently it's only the 2nd time, first was in 2005 when we got to Zeta (6th on the list). Will be interesting where this year takes us as there's a reasonable amount of time left and there seems to be a conveyor forming multiple depressions. Amazing thing the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
              Apparently it's only the 2nd time, first was in 2005 when we got to Zeta (6th on the list). Will be interesting where this year takes us as there's a reasonable amount of time left and there seems to be a conveyor forming multiple depressions. Amazing thing the atmosphere.
              Definitely very interesting. However I detect a slight slowing of the number of storms now, and one of the weathermen I follow on Twitter mentioned something about a decrease in convective activity in the tropics, although I didn't totally understand what he was saying. But yes, plenty of time left for more storms to form.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Some risk of frost later this week/weekend in vulnerable areas as the wind turns into the north.

Comment

Definitely chilly here. Which means I'm bringing in the last of the squashes and chillies in the next couple of days...

Comment

A very wet weekend coming up courtesy of storm Alex, with warnings in place including yellow for wind and rain in the south today and amber for rain in eastern Scotland and Wales and parts of the south east tomorrow and Sunday. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-10-02

Comment

We will now have to wait patiently to see if they have got it right
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

We have the rain in the south east , but not too windy....yet.

Comment

A very wet weekend coming up courtesy of storm Alex, with warnings in place including yellow for wind and rain in the south today and amber for rain in eastern Scotland and Wales and parts of the south west tomorrow and Sunday. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2020-10-02
                          Last edited by Penellype; 02-10-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The wet weekend has already started in Essex. 1.75 inches of rain already today and continuous rain is forecast for the rest of the day. At this rate it will be over 2 inches of rain in 24 hours. Unheard of in this normally dry area.

Comment

Some chilly nights coming up as the wind turns into the north over the weekend. Ground frost is possible in vulnerable areas.

Comment

I threw it down overnight here. I woke up thinking there was a sudden gale, then realised the noise was rain, not wind.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X