No announcement yet.

Frantic mum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh lordy Jules, don't say that! Makes me think I should have pipped the other cheeping egg now. Boo! I'm sure it must be dead now????

Comment

Not a dicky bird from Jess at the mo, gonna go with what Jules said, although I think her DD would be alot better at it than me.

I'm just so scared that I'm gonna do more harm than good, there must of been something serious gone wrong if all 13 eggs die.

Comment

Feeling a little deflated to say the least, just pipped all the eggs.

I had wondered if they were spose to go cold after removing them from incy, and it seems I was right to assume that they weren't.

Out of 13, only 1 remains

Once I had pipped the air sac, I didn't disturb the membrane just the shell and tapped on the side and saw the poor little might moving around. All the others either still had a fair bit of yolk left, or had gone dark inside (not to mention a bit smelly)

Now i'm at a dilemma, is it fair to have a single lonely chick?
        Should I try again?

I really could cry right now

Comment

Aww...sheena- that's really sad. But good on you for having a look inside the shells.

So- how is the 'likkle un' doing?? fingers , toes ,ears and eyes crossed for it/you x

( I'd get a couple of day old chicks if I were you- and get another batch of eggs- but maybe from elsewhere!)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by sheena View Post
            Feeling a little deflated to say the least, just pipped all the eggs.

I had wondered if they were spose to go cold after removing them from incy, and it seems I was right to assume that they weren't.

Out of 13, only 1 remains

Once I had pipped the air sac, I didn't disturb the membrane just the shell and tapped on the side and saw the poor little might moving around. All the others either still had a fair bit of yolk left, or had gone dark inside (not to mention a bit smelly)

Now i'm at a dilemma, is it fair to have a single lonely chick?
            Should I try again?

I really could cry right now
            Sheena, don't give up on this wee chick now - it's a fighter surely? When it's hatched put a cuddly toy in the brooder with him for company. He'll soon learn to peck up chick crumbs if you put some in a dish and 'peck' it yourself with your finger and to teach him to drink, just dip his beak in the water. If he has broken the membrane soon though you may have to do it.

Jules
            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Dunno about the likkle one yet, it's still inside the shell, didn't want to pull it out completely, but should he/she decide to come out, it should be easier now.

I'm still unsure as to do another set yet, but i've ordered some incy trays so it will be a less laborious job of turning the eggs.

I think I might have drowned the eggs when I was trying to get humidity up, at one point the needle went off the dial (past 100%) and not knowing how long it was like that for might of put the proverbial nail in their coffin's.
              But I know now that too much water can be a bad thing, and the humidity meter should be closer to the egg level than it was previous... so truer readings all round now (I hope).

I'm just contemplating on getting some more eggs, hopefully my mum will take pity on me and buy me some.

Comment

Dunno about the likkle one yet, it's still inside the shell, didn't want to pull it out completely, but should he/she decide to come out, it should be easier now.

I'm still unsure as to do another set yet, but i've ordered some incy trays so it will be a less laborious job of turning the eggs.

I think I might have drowned the eggs when I was trying to get humidity up, at one point the needle went off the dial (past 100%) and not knowing how long it was like that for might of put the proverbial nail in their coffin's.
                But I know now that too much water can be a bad thing, and the humidity meter should be closer to the egg level than it was previous... so truer readings all round now (I hope).

I'm just contemplating on getting some more eggs, hopefully my mum will take pity on me and buy me some.
                If you can get yourself to Stanwick Lakes near Rushden this weekend I'll give you six! They're Heinz 57s so should be hardy.

You could try breaking that membrane very very gently. It should be drying out now so the blood vessels with dry up too.

Jules
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                  If you can get yourself to Stanwick Lakes near Rushden this weekend I'll give you six! They're Heinz 57s so should be hardy.

You could try breaking that membrane very very gently. It should be drying out now so the blood vessels with dry up too.

Jules
                  That is such a lovely offer Jules, i'm sure my darling hubby would be so kind as to be my taxi for the day. Thank you so much.

Ok getting emotional again...

Comment

Definitely well done on pipping the eggs Sheena, if I decide to try again, I'll now be brave enough to do the same. I suspect the outcome of mine would have been very similar to yours as they were a dark mass.

Fingers crossed your little fighter will make it out safely.
                    SuzyB
                    www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

Sheena, there is a poultry farm near me who sells fertile eggs. I was going to be going up there to get some myself either tomorrow or over weekend and fire up my own incy again..... Last time I got some off him he charged me £5 for 20 eggs. They will be a mixed bag, but when I got them for broodies last year I had 14 fertile but 3 deaths from early hatching, but 11 hardy chicks did very well until a fox came in Sept. I though that was a good ratio TBH. Was planning on coming over your way Sun/Mon, cos I haven't seen my sister in a few weeks.
                      If price still nice and cheap like that, fancy going halves? I can give the old boy a bell tomorrow or just pop up there. He has Marans, Light Sussex and various crosses, some blue egg layers too.
                      Last edited by kirsty b; 22-07-2010, 01:47 PM.
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

I love you guys *weeps uncontrollably*

That would be wonderful also Kirsty, and hopefully the little one will make it long enough to meet you.

Have just done as you asked Jules and there is still some veins within the membrane, so didn't go too mad, just pulled a little of the white bit off. Took a deep breath when I saw blood tho.
                        But you can see the toe nails and I think I saw the beak, but he/she is still moving away inside.

Comment

Have to say- this thread went from exciting to nerve racking to very sad to exciting and very touching!

Come on little chick- you may not have any brothers and sisters but you've got a lovely mommy- and hundreds of aunties and Uncles out here waiting to see you!!!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

OK Sheena, I'll give them a call tomorrow and arrange to get some eggs on Sunday, and I'll prob be over later that day or Monday (I will have been paid so will have petrol money )
                            Most likely Mon as Sun is my first anniversary, and while we have nothing planned, he may not be over keen on me buggering off all day!!
                            Kirsty b xx

Comment

I would be inclined to agree with your hubby Kirsty, It's an important day for you both.. enjoy it.

Have just been back to check on likkle one and had a bit of a poke about again, and although he/she is still moving, there is a lot of gloopy stuff coming out from the inside.
                              is that normal? or should I be worried some more?

Nicos, you wanna be glad you aren't married to me. Everyday is a roller coaster ride with me on board.

Comment

Doesn't sound good hun. Might have to prepare yourself to lose the little one. Hoping I'm wrong though and that he rallies.

Edit: I though you meant gloopy stuff from inside chick! not egg. He may yet make it, it can be 24 hours from pip to hatch. Resist temptation to pull from the egg as he may still be absorbing what is left of yolk sac.
                                Last edited by kirsty b; 22-07-2010, 02:58 PM.
                                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X