No announcement yet.

Frantic mum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I can't seem to see any yolk sack, but then never having seen a new born chick i'm kinda at a disadvantage as to know what to look out for.

It's deffo got feathers, but it looks bug eyed which makes me wonder if it's as far along as my dates.

Comment

Hard one. If the chick is just sitting in the egg making feeble cheeps then it is unlikely to hatch by itself, which means it is a weakling and therefore not going to be worth helping (sorry to be blunt). If however it is shouting and kicking for all its worth then it is probably strong enough to survive and may just be struggling with a tough membrane. I generally only help ones that look like they are struggling with thick shell or membrane. Anything not really progressing has probably a defect which is preventing it from hatching.

I think by now you could help it either way if you feel strongly enough to try and give it a chance, but even if you get it hatched ok, it does not mean it will necessarily survive for long. Don't take my word as gospel, and ultimately it is your chick so your decision to make, and it may survive and grow on to be a healthy adult, but from experience I would say the odds are not in its favour.

Have a go and report back. Take the shell off carefully and keep the membrane damp with warm water. The chick may be able to kick free of the membrane once it is not restricted by the shell. Try and free the head and feet first. Some chicks just need one leg out and then they thrash around and get free themselves. If you feel you need to remove the membrane as well do it very slowly and gently and stop if you see any blood. Do not take it off the abdomen.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

If you can still see the umbilical cord, then I'd expect there is still a small yolk sac there???...well- that was the case with my chick- but 12 hrs after I helped it hatch it was just a shrivelled bit of 'scrambled egg' which I ever so gently peeled away.

Thank goodness you're there RH!!!...it's time like these we really need experienced peeps like you to help us through the difficult times!

( yep- I'm with you on this one sheena!!!)
        fingers crossed gal!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That's where my dilemma lies... I don't think it is strong enough to break thru on it's own. When I say moving, it's more like a wriggle than a full blown movement.
          I did pierce the membrane around the beak to ensure it can still breathe, i'm just so worried that it will bleed to death.

The other thing that bothers me, is the chick only takes up half the shell... so maybe he/she could or would be a runt if he/she survives.
          We shall see, i'll have a go as releasing him/her in a little while, when i've plucked up enough courage.

Comment

Ok, i just released his/her head fully, and he/she even opened her eye for a sec.
            I think the only way for this is for a photo, I really don't want to upset anyone by doing this but I feel needs must.
            Attached Files

Comment

Woah - that is not ready to come out. Are you sure you got your dates correct? I'm sorry but I don't think he will survive. I would just leave him be and see what he does but he's not a "term"chick. Was there an interruption in the incubation?

Comment

No interuptions as far as I am aware although on my day 21 we had a powercut which only lasted 30 mins, but I did put the carpet over the top of the incy to keep heat in.

I had the incy on constantly and tried my hardest to maintain temp as near to 100.F as poss, and placed my digital thermometer in aswell as having the normal thermo in.

I was hoping I was wrong and maybe the likkle baby was ready, I feel so bad now.

Comment

Awww..bless him/her- it's not going to survive is it?...looks several days too soon- maybe if you can keep it moist it may havea small chance of survival

I'd most certainly leave it in it's shell- with it's yolk sac etc- for protection.

If it does survive it'll be one heck of a survivor!...go on- prove us wrong little un
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello,
                    I though I'd post some pics of the lil un who hatched with her foster mum Shirley. Lazara only has one eye open, she seems to have an eyelid and a bulge where her eye should be. I was going to leave it be for now as there is no blood or pus - unless anyone suggests I should?...
                    Many thanks for your interest and support, it DOES make a difference when you're in a quandary!
                    JM
                    [IMG][/IMG]

I can't do this pic thing today, the images aren't uploading from my album, you can see them in there though, they're the first pics in the album - a dark skinny bird with a wee fluffy black/yellow chick....
                    Last edited by jessmorris; 25-07-2010, 11:39 AM. Reason: Trying to insert pics

Comment

Last try - hurrah! I've no idea why it worked this time and not the others!
                      Anyway, here you are (sorry they're so big):

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jessmorris; 25-07-2010, 11:46 AM. Reason: Insert text with new pics.

Comment

Lovely pics.Is that dog licking his lips?
                        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Awww they look beautiful Jess, fingers cross there's nothing major going on with Lazara.

Comment

LG Yup, Miller rather 'likes' hens, just about to be trusted with them but not on his own! Chicken dinner - mmmm! is all he's thinking!

S - I went out this afternoon and when I got back guess what, both eyes were open! hopefully she'll be able to avoid Shirley's big feet when she's scratching about a bit better now! What a relief - and she has about 4 tiny feathers already, and clearly mottled!

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwww sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

That's great news Jess, so what next?

More babies??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X