No announcement yet.

Frantic mum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jess..what breed is mom??...she's got such LONG legs!!!!!

.....sweet likke chick- but mom has left me gobsmaked!!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi both!
      S - how did you guess! I have some cuckoo barbu d'uccles and some silver partridge dutch bantams under my other two broodies....N - and both of those broodies are modern english game, like Shirley here. They are tiny bantams with long legs, curious, energetic and friendly natures who make determined and fiercely protective broodies. Not very cuddly for the chicks to creep under an keep warm though! Breed for cock fighting I believe, and not as old a breed as the old english game bantam, but more characterful by far!

Comment

Maybe it's because i'm planning on doing the exact same thing!

Just trying to source some more eggs now, I hate doing this cos I end up looking at all the wrong things lol

Comment

..there's lots more Ixworths on ebay at the mo.................

Comment

I know there is, but I'm not too fuss about breed tbh.

As I already have 6 mixed from Jules, I thought probably best to stick with that notion as I don't think I could face the upset of losing more Orp's, not that these lives are any different from the one's I already destroyed.

Hopefully the other 6 mixed I bought today will arrive tomorrow or Thursday, but I would rather have the egg trays that I ordered last week to put them in, so save turning each and every egg individually.

Fingers crossed eh?

Comment

Fingers crossed! Did you manage to check temps in incy like RH(?) or another member suggested...they thought it might be running a bit cool.....................?

Comment

Got back last night from our travels in Northants so just catching up.

It never occurred to me that Sheena's chicks could have been premature. Maybe, using machines, we just automatically assume that they will be accurate.

Jess, your game bird looks like a super model with those long legs. Very cute chick though!

We've only got 12 eggs in our bator now. We wanted to get more but these eggs were very wet with very weak shells when they arrived so we started them off in the bator straight away to dry out the shells a bit. No idea whether they will be viable or not.....can't candle until next Monday.

Jules
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
                  Fingers crossed! Did you manage to check temps in incy like RH(?) or another member suggested...they thought it might be running a bit cool.....................?
                  As well as having a normal incy thermo I also used a digital one to try and keep the temp stable. But I managed to keep it stable the last week of the hatching, so am gonna leave it set at that.

Still waiting on the eggs and trays, so another day of waiting.

Welcome back Jules, how did your fair go?
                  And thank you so much for the eggs, for reasons above they are still waiting to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post

It never occurred to me that Sheena's chicks could have been premature. Maybe, using machines, we just automatically assume that they will be accurate.

Jules
                    It's funny, but I set 7 eggs just over three weeks ago - 4 under a bantam and 3 in my little RCom. Day 21 was yesterday, but the 4 under the hen all hatched on Sunday. Then yesterday one of the maran eggs in the bator pipped but took ages to hatch - I had to help - but I had a little one up and peeping when I got up this morning (day 22). No sign of life in the other two eggs. These are all my eggs, fertile and healthy. I am now thinking my machine is off, either in temp or humidity as the same eggs hatched under the hen no problem. I have not had a problem with this little machine before but now doubt whether I shall use it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by sheena View Post
                      As well as having a normal incy thermo I also used a digital one to try and keep the temp stable. But I managed to keep it stable the last week of the hatching, so am gonna leave it set at that.

Still waiting on the eggs and trays, so another day of waiting.

Welcome back Jules, how did your fair go?
                      And thank you so much for the eggs, for reasons above they are still waiting to go in.
                      The fair was fine, takings are down in the recession though. I was lucky in that I had made 16 coffee cosies for a trade order - the lady wanted to choose 8 - but she took them all. Then chose a few of my drawstring picnic rugs too.

As long as we can just tick over in the recession we should be ok. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

You're more than welcome to the eggs. I didn't have too many in the end as we had to put our waiting eggs straight into the bator to dry the soggy shells so had no time to order thw blue laced wyandottes I wanted. Fingers crossed they'll be ok and not become infected through the squidgy shells.

Jules
                      Last edited by julesapple; 27-07-2010, 06:29 PM.
                      Jules

Comment

• Don't worry Jules, you've only got another 3 weeks (give or take a day) to wait and you can get some 'dotes!

And I checked my emails today to find that the mixed eggs I bought off ebay are a mixture of summers, orps and sussex! Bonus, I still get me Orp's.

Chants "I shall not kill, I shall not kill..."

Comment

• Originally posted by sheena View Post
                          Don't worry Jules, you've only got another 3 weeks (give or take a day) to wait and you can get some 'dotes!

And I checked my emails today to find that the mixed eggs I bought off ebay are a mixture of summers, orps and sussex! Bonus, I still get me Orp's.

Chants "I shall not kill, I shall not kill..."
                          I could do with our 'Dotte going broody again. She's the best mum we have so far.

Anyhooo, just checked the Lucky Dip eggs I gave you and the listing says 'This is an auction for 6 eggs from our pen of mixed pure breeds. All the birds are kept together which means that there is very interesting hatching. Breeds include Rhode Island Red, Light Sussex, Legbar, Barnvelder, Leghorn, Vorwerk, Maran, Polish, Silkie, Plymouth Rock and Ancona.'

So you've got lots of possibilities there!

Jules
                          Jules

Comment

• Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                            So you've got lots of possibilities there!

Jules
                            You're telling me! Can't wait to finally get some babies.

Comment

• Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                              Got back last night from our travels in Northants so just catching up.

Jess, your game bird looks like a super model with those long legs. Very cute chick though!

We've only got 12 eggs in our bator now. We wanted to get more but these eggs were very wet with very weak shells when they arrived so we started them off in the bator straight away to dry out the shells a bit. No idea whether they will be viable or not.....can't candle until next Monday.

Jules
                              I lurve my game birds, especially the modern english game, and they were a gift so double bonus!! Nice birds to keep as well!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X