Frantic mum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
    I sing this to mine...they seem to like it...they even remember it when they're hatched
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfzga-X2x4

Good Luck.x
    Ok, andi&di... I can see the men in white coats have another stop before getting to me yet

Comment

Err..I sang 'chick chick chicken lay a little egg for me'
      Though it would help them get a good start to know what their job would be. Bet it confused the roosters though
      Hang on can't type any more the straps coming undone on my white coat again.
      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

...well...my news is that after nothing for what feels like days two eggs were cheeping when I got home from work! However 4 hours later only one egg was cheeping and the chick had only made a teeny hole in the shell. I couldn't resist helping it out (inadvisedly I know) and the membrane was very tough - poss because I didn't mist on day 18 and they are in the kitchen, ie dry atmosphere?? (This is only because Lancashire is making up for the heatwave with continuous rain of biblical force and the broody house was leaking, so I brought broody and eggs in).
        I've probably done everything wrong but didn't like seeing a damp broody...single chick now cheeping like a good 'un in the kitchen with mum who growls every time I make too much noise. Hope some sisters hatch overnight.

ps to Sheena, I scratched the surface of the eggs yesterday night and thought I heard a very quiet tap from one of them. I marked the egg and it was one of the ones that was cheeping this evening. It was a very quiet tap though. You'd have to turn off your radio and stop breathing (and stop your dogs/cats/kids/OH breathing) to hear it.
        Last edited by jessmorris; 20-07-2010, 10:31 PM. Reason: added ps

Comment

Well??? Well??? Well ??????

Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Still nothing... this is doing my head in

Comment

I am beginning to lose hope, today would be day...22 i think, can't see egg's moving, not hearing nothing.

Could I have possibly killed them all?

Comment

aww, this must be awful for you, give it another couple of days?
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

..when I got home from work Connie had kicked the chick out of the nest and it was lying very still and cold on the floor of the house. I warmed it up and have put it with a reserve broody and three eggs (infertile) - fingers crossed for him. I don't think the others will hatch now, its day 22 and no there is cheeping anymore. Boo. He is beautifully marked too, with full on furry yellow legs bless him.

Comment

Just candled the eggs again and i'm beginning to think maybe I was imagining the eggs moving.

One of them looks like a dud, just hope I didn't throw away one of the viable ones.
                    The others look like only half the egg is filled, I thought they would take up the whole shell.
                    Can't detect any movement inside from trying to see with my poxy little torch.

The mood i'm in right now, i would happily give in.
                    Today hasn't been a good day for me, just hope tomorrow brings a brighter day.

Comment

Sheena,

Sorry you're so disheartened. I can't offer any useful advice or opinion, as i don't even keep chickens, just love reading about everyone elses.

I really, really hope it all works out. As you say, tomorrow's another day.
                      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by sheena View Post
                        The others look like only half the egg is filled, I thought they would take up the whole shell.
                        The air spaces are surprisingly big. You could, at this late stage, pip the eggs for them at the air sac end. If you think they may have perished, then a little hole will let you see if there is any movement. DD uses tweezers to carefully tap a tiny hole, which she then makes a bit bigger until she can see if there is any life in the egg.

But be warned, this might not be pleasant if your eggs have died.

Jules
                        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I might try that later on, gonna try and give them some more time if I can be patient enough.

Now, the air sac... that is the bit at the end of the egg, like when you boil one and it can sit upright on it's own kinda thing?

Comment

Aww Sheena I hope it works out for you. I left mine til 25 days in the end but nothing. I couldnt look in the eggs in the end though, too much of a weed. Lets hope yours are just cosy where they are for the moment and taking a bit more time to come play out.

Jess, hows the chick now?
                            SuzyB
                            www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

My five eggs are silent too (day 23 I think). The chick that I helped hatch seems ok-ish though small. I've no idea if the foster hen will take him as her own though...I will give the broody til Fri night/Sat morning before I truf her off. What a shame - all that effore.

Any news from you Sheena - I guess not...........

Comment

Originally posted by sheena View Post
                                I might try that later on, gonna try and give them some more time if I can be patient enough.

Now, the air sac... that is the bit at the end of the egg, like when you boil one and it can sit upright on it's own kinda thing?
                                that's the bunny...the blunt end of the egg.

DD has pipped several of our eggs when we thought there was no life left, only to find a healthy chick inside. It's probably not the done thing, but it saves throwing away a live chick. If she sees the chick moving, she puts the egg back in the bator.

Jess....it might be small but it's very special!

Jules
                                Last edited by julesapple; 22-07-2010, 07:48 AM.
                                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X