Frantic mum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
    The eggs seem to hatch UNDER the mother hen - lord knows how, I guess she just shifts her weight around to allow them room underneath her. I guess much of a hens 'undercarriage' is fluff anyway! As for humidity and temerature, I have no idea how the hen does all that! They do pluck off ALL their underneath feathers though so the chicks can warm up very quickly.............
    J
    The chicks hatch when they are ready to, regardless of it being day or night.

As for humidity, the hen does control it to some extent. My broodies come off from time to time and sit on the wet grass in the early morning to damp their feathers before going back on the nest. I do however spray the eggs on day 18 too. If allowed to find their own nest site they often choose a dampish place within dense foliage and so must get a certain amount of moisture from that. If you put your hand under a broody and just feel the area underneath it often feels very slightly damp, as well as warm.

Comment

Any news yet Sheena?

When we've hatched under a broody it was suggested I tried to ensure there was regularly damp grass available for her to dampen her wings...my guess is that they also perspire a bit when they get warm?

As for hatching when it's light...isn't it always light in an incubator?
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
        If you put your hand under a broody and just feel the area underneath it often feels very slightly damp, as well as warm.
        I was amazed at how 'sweaty' my broody felt underneath when I had to move her.

Any news Sheena, we're all pacing, waiting for the announcement
        SuzyB
        www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

Nope still nothing... I am getting so anxious now. If you're pacing imagine what i'm going through?

So today would be day 22? (set late afternoon on 29th, so would that mean today 21 or not?) Am sooooo confused and tired, i'm chomping at the bit literally.

Comment

CAn you hear anything yet? like cheeping or tapping inside the egg?
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

I make it 21 today...I dont count the day I stick em im as day 1 but the day after. Eg set on monday day 1 tuesday. It seems to have worked with mine.
              Take a chill pill Sheena. The eggs will hatch ok but you'll collapse from a heart attack at this rate
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                CAn you hear anything yet? like cheeping or tapping inside the egg?
                Not heard anything yet, i did try holding one to my ear but nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by sheena View Post
                  Not heard anything yet, i did try holding one to my ear but nothing.
                  Did you tap the egg or scratch it? DD even makes cheeping noises and they often cheep back. Wish I could lend you my stethoscope!

Jules
                  Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Ok, going for the prize wally award!

I cheep'd at them, i have scratch and tapped them and still nothing. Either they not want to talk back, or I am going deaf.

Do you think my doctors might send the men in white coats if I ask them for a steth? lol

Comment

Can you candle them at all?

Jules
                      Jules

Comment

All I have is a tiny torch, i did candle them yesterday and there looks to be definate air sacks, but too dark to see any movement of any kind.

I was able to tell the viable one's from the non-viable's, due to them looking like a normal egg. I did double check against a normal one for double reference. Only turfed out the duds on day 18 just incase.

Comment

I'm mentally holding your hand, and JessMorris's, and still managing to bite my own nails - never been a nailbiter - I'm sure something will happen soon. They might, as you said, be delayed a bit.

We had one egg that didn't pip the other day. When you shook it very very gently from side to side it sort of sloshed. DD did a post mortem and the shell was paper thin. We think it drowned in the shell when the humidity was increased because the shell was so much thinner than the others. Do yours 'slosh' at all?

If you have a lamp that you can put a high watt bulb in for a few minutes, you can make a candler. Use a bit of card and cut a hole in it about an inch in diameter. Put the card over the lampshade and put the egg rounded end on to the hole.

Jules
                          Last edited by julesapple; 20-07-2010, 06:50 PM.
                          Jules

Comment

I checked 5 of them, and can't make out any sloshing - so that sounds good to me

Comment

I checked 5 of them, and can't make out any sloshing - so that sounds good to me
                              The sloshing is not good, so no sloshing sounds good!

Jules
                              Jules

Comment

Ok, going for the prize wally award!

I cheep'd at them, i have scratch and tapped them and still nothing. Either they not want to talk back, or I am going deaf.

Do you think my doctors might send the men in white coats if I ask them for a steth? lol
                                I sing this to mine...they seem to like it...they even remember it when they're hatched
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfzga-X2x4

Good Luck.x
                                Last edited by di; 20-07-2010, 08:53 PM.
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X