Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made up some more plastic recycled labels. Checked greenhouse. Still have two apple trees to plant. Waiting for the snow to go. Sorting out where things will go and in which bed. Wish this weather would go! Got things to do
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• Weather trying to snow again but rain in with it so it isn't likely to stick. Gone mad in the greenhouse and sown the following

Ironman Broccoli
      Cabbage April Spring
      Estorile
      Hispi
      Red Drumhead
      Kalibos
      Brussel Sprout Evesham Special
      4 gutters of feltham First Peas
      6 broad Bean the Sutton
      15 Broad Bean Aquadulce
      Comfrey
      Parsley Moss Curled
      Aubergines Chinese Ancesror
      Viserba
      Prosperosa
      Tomato Alicante
      Gardeners Delight
      Peppers Rossa
      Friggitello
      Pinichios Nose

All the seed was from last year so keeping my fingers crossed that they are still viable.

Comment

• Did a bit of lumberjacking and chopped down a big ugly connifer that was getting in the way of the greenhouse, then noticed that there were broken panes so been out and repaired the green house where some corners had broke off individual sheets of glass, replacing them with pollycarbonate.
        Got a bit excited with the now environmentally sealed growing environment and sowed
        corriander
        flatleaf parsley
        Pakchoi
        mixed leaves
        rocket.

Justed checked the propergator and 4 chillis have popped up, two scotch hot and two Hot cayenne. Dead chuffed, only 20 more still to go....
        trying to get a seed order together, but i'm currently getting divorced and have moved out so my garden is away in cumbria, while i am now in Leicester growing things at my parents (lucky devils i hear you shout).
        So I have rather limited space and am growing things by negotiation with the plot holders, who while happy to have help mending their greenhouse understandably want to grow their own choice of stuff in their own garden.
        Simon Of Kells

Comment

• took another load of scaffolding planks down the lottie to build 7 more raised beds as garden was thawed out.surveyed the smooth white blanket of snow,placed newly acquired recycled clotches over bed with garlic in.
          then came home and placed jerusalem artichokes back in fridge to stop them shooting,cracked open a beer and will watch the rugby.
          so glad i had a weeks annual leave to finish digging and building beds ,am now stir crazy sitting gibbering at my large collection of seed packets.
          is it too early to sow courgettes?
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

• Today I re-located a 2x1m raised bed and shifted all the compost using a large bucket as I couldn't get access to the bed with my barrow, very heavy going! Checked on my garlic, which I'm pleased to say is throwing up shoots and am now resting my back!!!
            AKA Angie

Comment

• Finished the raised bed started yesterday - that's four down, four to go - and made a start at meauring and pegging out the fifth.

Ran out of wood, so went and got some more by which time the sleet was horizontal, so came home and am now sitting by the fire watching the snow.

Comment

• today i met my daughter and we went to my parents for lunch! on the allotment front i got my retired father and rather bored person to agree to come and dig my flower bed in lieu of the bit of land i have let him have.my god now he wants a key!

Comment

• yesterday visited my plot and managed to ease a couple of swede out of the frozen ground, also got some curly kale, brussles that the pigeons haven't found and 2 leeks which were sitting in the sun, so they came out easily. Vegi soup made today.

Comment

• What to do with these doors I'd been given?

I know, I'll make a hexagon or octagon shaped chicken hut with them says I.
                    Today after much deliberation I decided to make a start. I raked through a bonfire where I new some doors had been burnt with hinges on them. Managed to find eight sets of hinges. Washed hinges and freed them up a bit.

Started to carry doors to chosen (after much deliberation!) chookhouse position. Started to fasten doors together with said hinges. doors aren't all the same width which is a bit of a bugger!
                    Area aint very level and and was frozen solid. Tried to scrape area roughly level. Encroaching on strawberry bed and jerusalem Artichoke bed. Chokes i dug up looked really good but didn't have time to gather them before i had to head home and turn my incubator-ised chook eggs!

Chook house started out as being either a hexagon or an octagon, but the way it's worked out it may have to be a septagon (seven sided)

Shoulder was aching with carrying and attaching doors so had an early lowse and a well earned soothing bath. Still aching a bit but it should wear off by tomorrow evening!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Into the greenhouse I ventured and potted a dahlia crown for cuttings, sowed

cauliflower
                      Chard
                      mizuna
                      Little gem
                      Australian looseleaf lettuce
                      Primo cabbage

then watched the rugby.

Comment

• We went out into the frozen wastes that is our garden and tried to fix some fox damage from overnight. They've been digging in the new bed where the strawberry plants ended up, and dug into an empty raised bed as well.

Have salvaged what plants we could, 10 out of the 12 seem ok the other 2 are just roots now :S

Have erected a temporary chicken wire shield to stop them getting into that bed.

Argh
                        Noob Gardening Blog http://bintgarden.blogspot.com updated 15th January

Comment

• I potted on my 1 year blue berries into 3 L pots, Also potted up my cranberry, which was a spur of the moment decision in Wilkos the other day!

I successfully killed my fig by potting it on in the greenhouse and forgetting to move it back into the house overnight

I sowed 9 hot chillis, and watered everything else with some tepid water. First 4 coriander shoots showing, aubergines putting out first true leaves. Bought some 35 cm pots for my container raspberry experiment 3 canes per pot. I will be moving the end of the year so would like to move my garden too!. Failed to pot them due to lack of growing medium- all my non-ericaceous compost having been used when potting a Wilkos cheap redcurrant earlier! By that point it was tipping it down, so I contemplated digging up my rosemary bush and containerising it, but it has got huge after 3 years in the ground and would have taken too long in the wet!

Had a pint of IPA in the warmth and contemplated my options to obtain more compost.....

Comment

• This morning I sowed a few caulis, some more tomatoes, the lime seeds I was given, a couple of cucumber seeds. All on sunny windowsill with cling on. Propagator is still full although 4/4 aubergines have just emerged so they can be taken out.

I managed to get a few canes in the frozen ground near the PSB this morning with cds and milk bottle tops on strings to try and deter the pigeons. A bit late as 2 plants were shredded this morning but it may help.
                            Last edited by janeyo; 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Saturday I repaired my PVC greenhouse (this one had only been up for two weeks and then blown over and broken brackets, just like last year...). Managed to salvage 4 tiers, so 5 tier has now shortened. Put it in a corner, but unfortunately this means that it only gets early morning sun. However, I daren't put it back where it was, as even weighed down, they get destroyed.

I also spread out my rotten shavings/manure mulch around the roses and flower beds. Checked on my little shrubs to find that said mulch seems to be ideal growth medium!!! Pruned the roses (a bit norty, with the cold weather) and weeded a bit.

Hung up some bird seed yesterday, to try and attract more birdies, especially as I saw a wren scooting around on Saturday.

Haven't sown anything this weekend! My potatoes were put in last weekend and shoots are already through the soil on two of them. 7 tomato plants (3 different types) have germinated and the pepper is starting to grow again! Yay!
                              Last edited by SlugLobber; 09-02-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Madmax was a total star and helped me sow: sweet peas, summer sprouting broccoli, calabrese, cauliflower, primo cabbage and crimson broad beans. Oh and White Lisbon and Ishikuru (?) spring onions
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X