Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dug 3, 5ft x4ft bays in 2nd polytunnell, had to retire [back ache] picked a couple of parsnips six leeks 1 celeriac and a couple of swedes oh and about 20 sprouts they were yummy

Comment

• Last night repotted my toms and my geraniums and salvias, all look to be doing pretty well. Have no kitcken left due to pots everywhere!!! Need to take a photo today to record their progress.

Just going to sort through my seeds for my next lot of plantings
      Life of a Cycling Gardener

Comment

• Picked 2 lovely blackjack courgettes, potted up 3 strawberry runners, sprayed curcubits affected by powdery mildew with water and milk 9:1. Attended the local agricultural show, was disappointed with the veggies not having their specific types noted, just broccoli, carrots, lettuce.... grrrr. My son took a bite out of a prizewinning broccoli, thankfully no-one saw this! It was a rather ordinary specimen, only the size of my hand and limp as. Next year I must enter.

Comment

• A quick nip to the lottie resulted in a bag of leels, swede, cabbage (savoy and primo), some celeriac and a handfull of onions and garlic from store.

Comment

• Repotted my courgette seedling and setup a some seed potatoes to chit.

Comment

• Moved some of my anti-pigeon frames around - brought some back from the allotment - and made a cover for the PSB which was starting to show beak marks! It's ours from now on!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Brought the seed box in from the shed to sort through. Haven't been brave enough to go back out and get the seed compost though - blooming chilly.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

• Sowed aubergines, sweet peppers and chillis. Kitchen now covered in compost!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

• Sowed more onions (for my moon trial), a module tray of spring onions, and some broad beans ("The Sutton") - all indoors of course! Cleared out one of my raised beds (apart from the patch of overwintering spring onions), harvesting the baby carrots. Drew up a new plan for the allotment, as I've decided to relocate the raspberry bed (the old canes aren't fruiting anyway) and build a compost bin from the pallets we inherited with the plot.

Popped up to the lottie and picked some leaves from the cavalo nero, harvested the one little red cabbage that survived the snails and caterpillars, and took some photos. Posted photos on my blog, since I'm feeling rather chuffed that we seem to have more crops in the ground than many of the other plotholders

Phew!
                    Last edited by Eyren; 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      ...brought some back from the allotment....
                      Would love to have seen that!

Went to the Hill and admired the blanket of snow. Measured and pegged out the next raised bed, but numb feet stopped play after an hour or so!

Dug the car out when I couldn't get any traction to drive home.

Have brought the compost in to the kitchen and will be be spending an enjoyable evenings sowing - some toms and peppers - after dinner.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Sowed White Lisbon in three pots. Also sowed Tomato Marmande, Boltardy Beets and Winter Density Lettuce in Greenhouse. Potted up strawberry plants bought yesterday. Picked Lettuce leaves from greenhouse (salad bowl mixd - red and green).
                        I also picked a few leaves from the Little Gem!!!! which was under fleece in the garden. Since the snow laying on top of the cloche was bending it I had to take the fleece down and lay it directly over the lettuce.
                        They have been in that bed since October and have now started to put on a bit of growth. I am surprised that little gem will grow outside in winter. The beetroots sowed at the same time are a couple of inches high. The lettuce was quite strong tasting but the leaves were tender enough, so I am going to try and keep them going. Have raised the fleece back up onto the framework. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed that we don't have another heavy fall of snow.

Comment

• Today, I have cleared the back path and patio of snow and ice. In places the ice was a couple of inches thick. Inspected the back garden. The weight of the snow has pulled my trellis down. It was covered in a winter honeysuckle and passion flower so it will have to be repaired and put back up.
                          Checked greenhouse, carrots, shallots and lettuce are ok, under a single layer of fleece.
                          Cleared the front drive and path of snow and ice, this took me about an hour. Mr Herbie had problems getting off the drive this morning with 4x4, so its cleared and I have put some salt down as the temperature is due to drop to -5.
                          Came back in exhausted and ready for a cuppa. At snow has stopped play for the moment, going to sort seed box and plan future sowing around the phases of the moon.
                          Tomorrow Im going to make some more plastic recycled labels.
                          http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• checked the propagators were on and watched (still watching) the rugby and cricket on telly, oops...

Comment

• Inspired by Pigletwillie, have today sowed some spring onions - personally I don't like to eat them but others in the family do.

Also sowed some more tomatoes, this time Gardeners delight, and pricked out the garden pearl and tamina sown two weeks ago.

Pinched out the sweet peas that I sowed three weeks ago.

And heeled in the 6 raspberry canes that arrived from T & M a couple of days ago.
                              Never say never!

Comment

• Busy sowing day today (all indoors, cool windowsills)

10 Piccante peppers
                                18 Red Epicure broadies
                                24 Little Gem lettuce
                                40 hollyhocks
                                60 Snowstar leeks
                                75 Cipolla onions
                                80 Red Baron onions
                                120 White Lisbon spring onions

Set out spuds to chit in the shed (with more to buy at Potato Day next Saturday)

Split up a clump of primulas into 9 separate plants (a month early, but never mind)
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X