This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can-o-worms tower ? Sorry new to this forum
    In my poly tunnel I moved all my seedlings out from just outside of the greenhouse inside the greenhouse so the heater will keep them going through this cold spell we are having-going to have

Pat
    "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaxom View Post
      Things I did today.
      This is intended to act as an aid memoir to everyone on the grapevine. I hope it will help remind us of tasks that should be carried out at the time of year each posting is written.
      It is not intended to be a Blog or a journal but simply an aid to help. I hope everyone will post what they did in their garden or allotment each day.
      Jax
      hi this is the first time for me
      i have just made a wormery but have no worms can you tell me the best way or place to get them from
      thank you
      diana

Comment

• Potted on my sweet peas, and washed out the seed cells and sowed some beetroot seeds and some sensitive plant seeds.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

• Had a peep at my onion seed which i sowed about a week ago and they are beginning to show.
          They are on the shelf above the radiator in the conservatory so just getting gentle heat.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• More digging. I see couch grass in my dreams now lol.

Planted 2 redcurrant bushes into large pots.

Comment

• I spent a cold hour weeding flowering Speedwell out of my onion bed. Picked Pak Choi, mustard & kale for a stir-fry.
              Optimistically sowed a dozen broad bean seeds direct
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Twosheds, you must have had a better day weatherwise than we had here.
                Its galeforce wind and rain here since yesterday with no let up.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Checked my first batch of seedlings; 10x Tomato(Gardeners delight) up already!
                  100% hit rate there however only 1 aubergine seedling sprouting

Checked on the 20x experimental sunflowers I repotted on the weekend.

Watered the 2 year old blueberries. So far they have survived a week in my care!

Bought some more nice seeds from Moreveg U.K. vegetable seed company, herb seed, flowe seed, calabrese seed, carrot seed, tomato seed, herb seed - Home.

Oh and added urine to compost heap! Heap seems very empty as all the good stuff is in the veg patch now under a 6 inch mulch of leaf fall!

Comment

• Today I've;
                    • Made 9 takeaway tub propagators, and 14 mini propagators from small lucozade bottles.
                    • Sorted out a 2 litre bottle for hubby to fill with compost activator (aka urine)
                    • Read up on how best to prune whitecurrants
                    Noob Gardening Blog http://bintgarden.blogspot.com updated 15th January

Comment

• Helped put up the shed in the garden which will be great for putting all my gardening stuff in. Got the compost bin up behind it (got hubby to do his bit) then filled some trays with compost to warm up ready to plant Asters, Thyme and Dahlias on the windowsill. Spring is on the way we have snowdrops showing and many other bulbs on the way.
                      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

• Welcome to the vine Diana 1. Re: wormery, can't personally help as don't have one but put in a search here (or google) also look for brandlings (small red worms).
                        Today I helped OH build the framework for my 11' x 5' veggie bed which I had painted earlier. Carried it down the garden and put it in place, hammering in the corner posts. Took off the longer grass from the bed, covered it all in wet newspaper. I was wondering at the time why I was messing about in cold water when it would be just as easy to put it down dry paper and use a watering can on it.
                        For those not as daft as me, wet paper DOES NOT fly around the garden like dry stuff does!!
                        Used one and half compost bin contents over the newspaper ready for tomorrow and the addition of manure and multipurpose compost and cardboard.
                        It was bitterly cold at 9am when we started so it was a thermals and hat day. Great to be out in the fresh air though.
                        Last edited by Sanjo; 30-01-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Today I have sown two small seed trays of mesembryanthemum, and one of rosetta lettuce. The mezzies are the tiniest seeds I have ever seen!

Also, sowed my remaining 8 Spencer sweet pea seeds, 8 Harlequin sunflowers and three pots of flat leaf parsley on the kitchen windowsill.

Pinched out the Night and Day Sweet peas that I planted two weeks ago, which are now 6 inches high. Moved them all into senior son's bedroom (he's away at uni) to get maximum light, and turned the radiator off in there.

Spent ten thoughtful minutes at the kitchen window, gazing blankly at my empty(ish) unheated greenhouse, and realised for the first time how shaded it is at this time of year by the evergreen oak directly behind it. The tree was obviously a lot smaller when the previous owners sited the greenhouse. I don't want to lose in entirely as it provides a great deal of privacy from the neighbouring garden,and some welcome shade in mid summer, but I must look into having some radical pruning.

Remembered the mini poly tunnel that I bought last year, and haven't used yet, so I have set it up over one of my two rows of autumn sown broad beans - I'll be interested to see how much difference it will make, being able to compare the two rows side by side.
                          Never say never!

Comment

• Spent a freezing hour weeding out buttercups. I hate them.
                            The first wallflowers are about to open, so I took some cuttings of non-flowering sideshoots & put in heated propagator. You never know, they might take
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• More digging of the new bed are, but with help today.
                              OH has been laying the path round, so half is now done! Means I can now keep diggin without treading on the stuff already dug.

Tomorrow he hopes to get some of the ned raised beds made so I can paint them in the week.

Comment

• Today I've (with help from hubby)

Planted a loganberry and 12 strawb plants
                                Made a leaf bin
                                Pulled up a conifer to make space for an apple tree
                                Potted out some overwintering herbs into bigger pots.
                                Sown some seeds into propagators - aubergine, tomato, peppers, chilli, red onions
                                Tidied up the greenhouse
                                Turned the compost

Phew, time for a cuppa tea I think
                                Noob Gardening Blog http://bintgarden.blogspot.com updated 15th January

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X