X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good move vc!
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad you agree, FarmerG !! Having picked some plums, I just had to tell someone........

Comment

well i know where to find red plums, blackberries and sloes .... hoping i'll find loads more things to forage ....

Comment

any update on having a foraging forum?

there are lots of threads about foraging, seems to be a lot of support for a foraging forum

and GYO magazine even has pages about foraging

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I'm going to start a new thread - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...day_67434.html to remind us all what we could be looking for out there at different times of the year. I'll put it in Vegging Out until there is a better place for it.
            Thanks, Veggie...
            My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
            Revelation 22:2

Comment

I'm going to miss jam making this year. Not point when my jam eater is diabetic and we aren't running the fairs.

Not half a mile from me are two varieties of pears, about 6 varieties of apple, brambles, sloes, plums, elderberries and there were medlars until some ratbag chopped the tree down.
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

jules - pick the fruit, make the jam, it'll keep!
                or just pick the fruit and send it to me because there isn't much to find round here ... i had one plum on my plum tree, one pear on my pear tree, 2 cookers on my cooking apple tree, nearly one bucket of small apples from my ordinary apple tree, hardly any blackberries or elderberries around here ....

Comment

Well the early frosts on Sunday, and my bad back from digging on Saturday meant I was out for a purposeful walk Sunday morning. I picked a 1lb of sloes, 1/2lb of rosehips and 1/2lb of hawthorn berries. Now I have a recipe for sloe gin, and rosehip syrup and hawthorn jelly. Does anyone have any other recipes for this bounty, I could gather plenty more if needed.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Try this site, Mikey Celtnet Wild Food Recipes Home Page, Cooking with Wild Foods You can search it by ingredient.
                    How about Hips and Haws jelly?

Comment

• Not sure about you VC, but the rowan and elderberries came and went around here some time ago, I might have to adapt that recipe a bit.

Comment

• Much the same here Mikey. I blinked and missed them both in the garden - they're my indicator trees Plenty of hawthorn around.
                        With your recipes I guess you need to think about what you want to make generally - like wine or jelly or pickle. Then lob it all together and invent something new

Comment

• Well I was thinking about the kind of things that will go well, with the new found mushrooms knowledge shortly to be gained, only 9 more days.

Comment

• I'm getting quite excited I'm almost ready to try the Jew's ears in the garden.
                            Just wish they didn't feel so much like flesh
                            Attached Files

Comment

• made this a few weeks back - haw sin sauce (river cottage recipe) really,really nice, Mr W has even suggested picking more haws to make more - now thats a turn up for the books!!!!!
                              500g haw berries.
                              250ml organic cider vinegar.
                              250ml water.
                              250g organic, unrefined caster sugar.
                              Salt.
                              Freshly ground black pepper....METHOD
                              How to make haw-sin sauce
                              1. Clean and de-stalk the haw berries then rinse in cold water.

2. Place in large pan with the vinegar and water and bring to boil. Simmer for approximately 30-45 minutes until the skins start to split.

3. Remove from the heat and rub the mixture through a sieve, leaving largish stones and the skins behind.

4. Return the mixture to a clean pan, add the sugar and heat gently, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves.

5. Bring to the boil and cook for a further 5 -10 minutes, until the sauce reduces and becomes slightly syrupy

Comment

• In was reading about that yesterday in my 'richard mably' book. I didn't like the jelly texture it referred to either. I'm looking forward to hopefully finding a puffball, or some oyster, or morel.

The thing I'm looking forward to most is learning what not to pick, I might be on a diet, but I don't want to lose weight by poisoning myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X