No announcement yet.

Foraging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the sound of that mrswadders, I love crispy chinese duck, so I'll give that a go.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

• Haw-sin sauce sounds good to me too. Thanks MrsWadders. Now to find some haws
      Found the link - other recipes too http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/se...pes-and-links/
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-10-2012, 11:34 AM. Reason: adding link

Comment

• This is too much - the sun is out - I'm off foraging!! See you later

Comment

• Make the most of it, the rains coming in soon.

Comment

• My fave recipe with hawthorne is Haw Ketchup (River Cottage Preserve book) which is very good. Made what seemed lilke gallons of rosehip syrup last winter (will probably pick them next month) which I had a swig of every morning to ward off colds - don't know if it worked but I was particularly heathy for once.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              This is too much - the sun is out - I'm off foraging!! See you later
              lucky you it's persisting here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                Make the most of it, the rains coming in soon.
                About 10 minutes after I left We're soaked and there was nothing at all foragable in sight. Even the haws were on the ground. Just a few badly nibbled fungi - one I see every year but have been unable to identify. Gives me hope though that the season has not quite arrived. I would have expected to see more fungi and I went to most of the usual spots.
                Guess what? The sun is out again

Comment

• Yes here too....

Comment

• Don't think we'll get much of a 'shroom season this year. By this time last year we had bags of them dried for the winter and this year, pretty much nothing

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• i found some red barries the other day and was going to pick them but the fact i have no idea what they were i just left them i might pick a few and post on here for some help id'ing them
                      In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

• Berries and leaves please!!
                        This time of year its probably hawthorn, rosehips or rowan - or holly!!

Comment

• defo not holly it was on a tree'ish thing hardly any leaves i popped one open and there were really big seeds and what i can only describe as almost furry padding around the seeds

if any of this makes sense lol pictures to follow maybe tomorrow

Comment

• sounds like rosehips to me?

Comment

• oh thanks chris i know where some of those are are they edible and the berries i was refurring to were smaller than them without the bottom foilage

Comment

• They are edible, but they need to be cooked - the hairs need straining off them too, as they can irritate your throat - I think, but don't quote me on this - even cause shock in some people - I'm not too sure.

check this site out... lots of nice pictures too
                                Rose Hip Jelly, Rose Hip Jam Recipe | Simply Recipes

There's a lot of different type of hips too, some are big and fat, others are quite small, some being oblong, others being more round

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X