Can't say I've noticed
    Now about your little basket..........

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Can't say I've noticed
      Now about your little basket..........
      Who are you calling a basket?

Cheek of it.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Every Forager needs a little basket, its not an insult - as if I would

Comment

I use a bag for life, it takes up far less space, and it doesn't make me look like a right ba'nana.
          Last edited by Mikey; 29-06-2012, 10:33 PM.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Bags for life are no good for foraging, you need a basket that you can place your goodies in, well spread out, so that they don't get crushed

Comment

Another crushing reply from VC?

I like the thought of foraging, but I feel guilty! When we moved here to the country there are some apple trees planted as street trees. But since I don't live on those streets, I feel that they are not mine.

My son is keen to learn to eat 'bush food' or find it first. He did find some dandelions but wasn't very impressed with their taste. Of course, our Mountain Pepper grows wild but now I've got some in my garden I won't need to walk for that.

There's so much sprayed around the area here that it's not safe to forage for anything on what you'd call hedgerows. I'm pretty sure the weeds inspector is going to go psycho over my briar rose but you know I want the hips from next year so don't want to spray it. Might just cut it short to shut him up and then colect the hips next year and do the same. Or just do that to the ones up near the house.

Like the sounds of the nettle lasagne. Could probably interest the kids in that.
              We'll need to have it broken into seasonal things tho, so we know what's coming up in the next season and can get our little baskets prepared.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hi Ali, If we had some sort of heads up - I've just picked some...... and then we all rush out and find some and recommend ways of using it. Hope that makes sense 'cos I'm orf for my beauty sleep now. Nothing personal, you understand!

Comment

FYI The Ask Alys Fowler Qs & As have all been Stickied. A result of sorts but nowt to do with Foraging

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                    I like that VC but, I still don't get it.

I feel a bit like trigger now, alright Dave.

Well at least I'm not talking to myself like some others here.
                    Basically; VC's forum settings were only showing newish threads rather than all of them. It sometimes happens in the Growing Techniques board, people can't see the old ones...so Sarz stickied Alys' ones so that they would always be visible.

Comment

Thanks Zaz and Sarz! I had wondered about the Growing Techniques board too, but now I know how to see it all.
                      As a Forum Dodo I had assumed that a page of threads would appear for each Board, never mind how old they were. Wrong again
                      Another new thing learnt today

Comment

Well I hope your more sensible when you're beautiful because that didn't make much sense!

I think we're both on the same page - but not sure it's the same book. If we have a seasonal section then we can have a heads up - and then all rush out and pick stuff and then write what we did with it? Yes? And 6 months later I can do the same.............never one to rush things you know?

If we have it seasonal then I can workout to head out for the autumn stuff while you lot are out after the spring stuff - will stop us all tripping over each other anyways!
                        Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Ali, we're never going to be singing from the same songsheet - for one thing, yours is upside down
                          We could try seasonal lists of what may be available, with subthreads for each plant or we could do as we normally do, just get everyone confused but enjoy it anyway!

Comment

We forage mainly during the late summer/autumn - sloes/blackberries/elderberries filberts and apples and pears. Also some herbs
                            I too wouldnt go mushroom foraging until I had been properly trained - the risk is too great!

Comment

How dare you insinuate my songsheet is upside darn! It's you bloomin' lot who are @rse aboot!
                              Ali

Comment

Changing tack quickly, the Foragers may like to look at Robin Harford's website About
                                Lots of intriguing uses for unusual wild plants and he leads walks too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X