Foraging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    Forgive me for asking but, how would it differ from advise on growing veg anyway?, which we all give in our limited capacity.

Could a disclosure at the start of the board/sticky state that all advise is taken at the risk of the individual. Wouldn't it be the same for any books on the subject how do they get around it?

Personally I wouldn't give any advise on mushrooms, as my knowledge is very limited, but I'd happily Identify Elderflower or crab apple or nettles!

I understand that there are people who use these boards that don't actually post, and advise can be given which is inaccurate, but this is true of all things surely.
    Yes, quite - how would posts on the Foraging thread differ from advice given on all the other posts?
    Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

It would be different because we advise people on how to grow things which are pre-identified by seed packet or by labels on plants in shops. Trying to describe a wild plant is quite different. And the legal ramifications are best considered by someone with expertise in that area.

Comment

Fungi are, to my mind, the only contentious issue and nobody would attempt to identify a fungus from description or photo on here. We don't steer clear of discussing rhubarb, even though the leaves are poisonous or applepips or foxgloves etc. Most of the useful wild foods are already on here in some form - as Mikey says, elderflower, crab apples, nettles, haws. Its a question of pulling them all together somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Fungi are, to my mind, the only contentious issue and nobody would attempt to identify a fungus from description or photo on here. We don't steer clear of discussing rhubarb, even though the leaves are poisonous or applepips or foxgloves etc. Most of the useful wild foods are already on here in some form - as Mikey says, elderflower, crab apples, nettles, haws. Its a question of pulling them all together somewhere.
          Yes, I agree with VC and MikeyW. Fungi are the biggest problem area and as long as people are warned only to pick ones they actually KNOW and if in ANY doubt whatsoever, NOT to pick them, then I think we would be covered. But then any poisonous plant falls into the same category (and in fact any unknown plant at all).
          Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I'm sure Admin will read and take on board all of your comments. But there's no point in trying to convince me personally, as I don't have control of those big shiny buttons

Comment

Thanks Sarah. Lets hope common sense prevails

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                We've asked the question about the board, and Admin are discussing it. It's problematic due to the potential for bad advice and litigation, and so it may be a long discussion, and it may be an outright 'no', we'll just have to see.
                1 - foraging questions have been asked before and will be asked again, regardless of whether or not there is a special foraging section of this website

2 - there are a lot of foraging experts on this website who can give some good, solid, safe advice - they're more likely to spot foraging questions and give that good advice if there is a section for it

3 - there are many other topics with potential for bad advice and litigation, such as beekeeping, or lawnmowers - even normal growing of fruit and veg - rhubarb leaves are poisonous but how often do people post disclaimers on rhubarb threads that leaves are poisonous?

jus' sayin ....
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

The Ask Alys Fowler board has always puzzled me. There are no questions and no answers, and only one message from the lady herself refers to "attempting this marathon answering session". So what happened to the Qs & As?
                  Answering my own question now!
                  I assumed that the Qs & As would be in the Sticky but they have been cleverly concealed because they are so old! To find them:-
                  Go to the Ask Alys Fowler Forum. Ask Alys Fowler
                  Scroll down the page to the Thread Display Options.
                  Go to "Show threads from the,,,," and from the Drop down list select "beginning"
                  20+ threads will appear, each a different question, not all were answered. Don't get too excited

EDIT - Ignore the above instructions - all Qs & As have been Stickied
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 30-06-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I like that VC but, I still don't get it.

I feel a bit like trigger now, alright Dave.

Well at least I'm not talking to myself like some others here.
                    Last edited by Mikey; 29-06-2012, 09:58 PM.
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I either answer myself or you all make fun of me
                      So what aren't you getting now, Mikey? Don't answer that if it will embarrass you

Comment

I either answer myself or you all make fun of me
                        So what aren't you getting now, Mikey? Don't answer that if it will embarrass you
                        You was getting all techie, and I'm a bit simple.

Don't try to explain though, its getting late and I might not stay awake.

Comment

Do you find that you write a reply but haven't the foggiest what thread you're on - or is it just me?

Comment

Do you find that you write a reply but haven't the foggiest what thread you're on - or is it just me?
                            No that's just you, are you lost dear?

its not just you, this should be on the insult thread.
                            Last edited by Mikey; 29-06-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I must be, if I'm the only who's confused around here

Now remind me, what is this thread about?

Comment

I must be, if I'm the only who's confused around here

Now remind me, what is this thread about?
                                Getting lost......with a basket in a wood.

I'm surprised they let me in here, I'm always sabotaging threads.
                                Last edited by Mikey; 29-06-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X