No announcement yet.

Foraging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! I found a nice spot for common sorrel not far from home today. Oddly enough, I'd just been looking at sorrel (and having a cheeky wee nibble) at the garden centre this afternoon, before we went out for a walk. Good thing I didn't bother buying any.
    March is the new winter.

Comment

we make a very nice Foragers port, we put strawberry's, blackberry's, raspberry's, blueberry's, elderberry's, just put them in the freezer till you have enough, them mash um up in a bucket. we had 6 gallons of it last year
      Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
      Dobby

Comment

Just borrowed the following 2 books from the library today - (they don't have the Roger Phillips one)

The Thrifty Forager by Alys Fowler and
        Foraging by Paul Chambers.

There's a rather nice recipe in the Paul Chambers book for my favourite Dandelion & Burdock drink (I loved it as a child!). As well as recipes he gives info on the historical and scientific uses of each plant.

Lots more reading still to do - seems very interesting so far.
        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

ooh yes i'm up for this, great idea. thanks for suggesting. i lurve foraging. went on a Miles Irving foraging course last month - v good if a bit apocalyptic. would really love to find some kind of database/forum where those of us in london could tip each other off about places to look...
          love the Alys Fowler by the way, very very inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
            ooh yes i'm up for this, great idea. thanks for suggesting. i lurve foraging. went on a Miles Irving foraging course last month - v good if a bit apocalyptic. would really love to find some kind of database/forum where those of us in london could tip each other off about places to look...
            love the Alys Fowler by the way, very very inspiring.
            No that doesn't work Broadripple, when you find something you protect it as a forager, well I do it at least. Never give away me secrets, I've been spotting the blackberry flowers out and about and noting for later this year as my main patch was cut right back last year.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
              No that doesn't work Broadripple, when you find something you protect it as a forager, well I do it at least. Never give away me secrets, I've been spotting the blackberry flowers out and about and noting for later this year as my main patch was cut right back last year.
              or it can work with swapsies .... if you find bucket loads of sloes for me, i'll swap you some bucket loads of blackberries ....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                or it can work with swapsies .... if you find bucket loads of sloes for me, i'll swap you some bucket loads of blackberries ....
                Now your talking....

Unfortunately Chris gets lost searching for the end of his nose, so I'm left swapping with the fellow nutter VC..

Comment

Just realised, Chris wants me to show him where the foraging spots are around here, as well as scrumping in my garden. So what's he got to swap......

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Just realised, Chris wants me to show him where the foraging spots are around here, as well as scrumping in my garden. So what's he got to swap......
                    He's asked me the same in the past, but I declined on account of him not knowing where Caerphilly mountain was.

Comment

oi ! I felt my ears burning!!

I was just thinking, I must go around with my eyes shut, as the only things I see are elder, which are ALWAYS by busy roads.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      So what's he got to swap...
                      Erm, I'll dig over your veg patch.. oh wait it wasn't noticed.

eggs?!

Comment

Now your talking....

Unfortunately Chris gets lost searching for the end of his nose, so I'm left swapping with the fellow nutter VC..
                        *tut* !

See, I've come up with my latest business idea now. Countryside satnav! Voila, I won't get lost

Comment

He's asked me the same in the past, but I declined on account of him not knowing where Caerphilly mountain was.
                          Yeah, he's tried the same line with me. Woods, what woods? He used to drive through them every day, after coming over Caerphilly Mountain
                          Oh Chris, you made me jump! Didn't realise you were around here at the mo!

Comment

Well, I wasn't but then I felt the burning sensation (in my years [see what I did there? ] before anyone else comes out with a rudey).

Cold over this side of the mountain today, I can tell ya! Having a new boiler installed, all doors are open - a massive hole in the side of the house. Proper wind tunnel! At least the rain has slowed down.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                              Well, I wasn't but then I felt the burning sensation (in my years [see what I did there? ] before anyone else comes out with a rudey).

Cold over this side of the mountain today, I can tell ya! Having a new boiler installed, all doors are open - a massive hole in the side of the house. Proper wind tunnel! At least the rain has slowed down.
                              Now my MIL would see the advantage in that and get the washing hanging up in the wind tunnel, I mean house. They'd be dry in no time.

Comment

I'm going to start a new thread - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...day_67434.html to remind us all what we could be looking for out there at different times of the year. I'll put it in Vegging Out until there is a better place for it. Please add your picking notes as a prompt for us all.
                                Last edited by veggiechicken; 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X