Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a great day here. Cold but sunny. Well….is 17C cold?…the bitter wind certainly was

Lots of exploring the area with our son and ended with collecting sweet chestnuts of which we’ve already eaten about a third.
    How do others cook them? I prefer to pierce them then simmer for 40 mins then , once peeled, dip them in salt.
    OH prefers to roast them

Well done with fixing your roof rary. Very satisfying.
    Last edited by Nicos; 07-10-2022, 04:59 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Evening, It’s been wet and windy here since lunchtime, so not much done outside.
      We usually roast sweet chestnuts on the stove top in a cast iron lidded pan shaking them every now and then.
      Not had them for ages.
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-10-2022, 06:06 PM. Reason: Auto correct
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Evening all, just had a quick catch up glad to see things ticking along.
        Weather has been dreadful, during last night especially. Quite a bit of flooding round about. Lawn is like a bog.
        We are due our covid and flu vaccinations on Sunday. Because of my surgery I have to have both in the same arm so no idea how I’ll be. If I remember the flu one was quite painful for a few days after. This will be my 6th Covid vaccination, can’t believe it.
        Anyhoo, off for an early night as I’ve discovered someone on YouTube who mud larks on the Thames, she usually finds a lot of rubbish but it’s a lovely watch.
        Enjoy the rest of your evening! Night x
        sigpic

Comment

• Morning

After yesterday's downpour it looks like being a dry day here

Jay i watched a TV program the other week about Thames mud larks, was really interesting they had to be quick though because of the tide soon washed everything away.

enjoy your day.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Lovely and sunny but mysteriously misty start to the day.
            Deffo will be gardening all day

Jay - is that the Nicola White lass? I watched near enough all her videos during lockdown.
            She’s great - I love her presentation.
            I used to do lots of fossiling in my youth and you need a keen eye for that, but she’s amazingly observant. She makes you feel like you have an interactive personal guide.

I’ve just made a batch of muesli. Do help yourselves - I’m really chuffed with this one. No doubt it’s high calorie. Most yummy things I like seem to be

Comment

• It's windy and sunny here, not too warm yet but the washing is going out on the line in hope rather than expectation.....towels and such like. I saw a programme about mudlarks on the Thames too but to be honest I think I'd be useless at it as 99% of the "goodies" they found I would have assumed were rubbish....still one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.

Comment

• Morning, sun is shine but it’s cold!!

Yes Nicos it is Nicola White. Just discovered her channel, so relaxing. She does a lot of arty things with her finds. My family bought me a metal detector for my birthday last year. I love all that kind of thing but so far all I’ve found are boot polish tin lids…yes only the lids!!🤣🤣
                Love the look of the mud larking but not sure I’d find much in the Clyde and as you say GF, wouldn’t know if any ‘treasure’ I found was worth keeping. It all looks like rubbish to me too!!
                sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon all (just realised it is the afternoon here, already ).

Grey and on the cool side today. Doesn't look like it's going to rain, though. No rain yesterday to speak of in the end.

Been round to the neighbours to feed their chickens and water their plot. Evidence of an animal roaming round the chicken compound, but the chickens are OK. Fingers crossed they stay that way.

Busy afternoon ahead but no mudlarking. Not sure what I'd find if I had a metal detector. Often thought they would be an interesting toy, but I reckon I'd just turn up bits that have dropped off old tractors and old ammunition from the Civil War, which would make me nervous.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Comment

• I must mention that I once had a metal detector and ended up with the biggest collection of rusty nails....nothing else. I think I gave it away.

Comment

• Afternoon all.
                      Thanks for all the comments about canning. I guess I'll just try and squeeze some apple juice into the freezer instead.
                      Beautifully sunny here, and warm if you can get out of the wind. Lovely October autumn day in fact.

The washing machine's earned it's keep this morning. The weekend is when the most electricity gets used, what with washing and ironing and vaccuuming. Had my usual monthly leccy bill, split into pre and post price rises, and the cost of four days from Oct 1st to Oct 4th was almost a quarter of the cost of the entire September bill
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

• I still have a metal detector. A pretty basic one.
                        The most we found on our land are rusty nails and barbed wire and an old septic tank still in situ under the lawn ( we wondered why the lawn was slowly sinking!!!

We took ours once to a farmhouse we were staying in in the north of England and the owner was very keen to borrow it. His grandfather had buried a musket in his youth for some reason and this old guy had never found it although he was told it was “carefully buried in an oilcloth in the corner of the field”. Which corner..which field?
                        He spent all day trying to find it without success. The following day he ok’d us to do a general sweep of one of his fields and all we found was a cottapin from his fathers tractor. He remembered as a young teenager spending most of the day hunting for it without success. He was thrilled. Not that it was much use to him now.

Just popped in for a brew and a tiny mince pie Feel free to help yourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Just popped in for a brew and a tiny mince pie Feel free to help yourselves
                          A good story, Nicos. But 'a tiny mince pie'? I don't believe it. There are two possibilities. Either it's not a tiny mince pie or you're having more than one. Having just one tiny mince pie is breaking the laws of physics.

Comment

• Here’s my proof Snoop…..https://groceries.morrisons.com/prod...pies-589678011
                            I mean…how could I resist that offer?

And yes, I only had one! Honest….( only because it was the last one because ‘he who cannot be named” and our son ate the rest)

I impulse bought them last week…and a small slice of iced Xmas cake

Having said that…when is the best time to think about making a homemade Xmas cake? I have all the ingredients this year!

Comment

• Nicos the best time to make a Christmas cake is .....NOW. This is because if "anybody" decides to be naughty (as with the mince pies) before the big day you still have time to make another.

I must admit that I also think that a tiny mince pie breaks all the laws of physics ...including the famous E=MC² .....where MC stands for mince pie and they had to square it due to the volume.

Comment

• Evening
                                I do like mince pies this year I'm going to make my own for the first time in years. Mostly because last year I bought a couple of different packs and neither were that thrilling. If they're my own I can't blame anyone else.
                                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 08-10-2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X