Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop - you have motivated me into collecting nettle tips today. Got loads of other things I should be doing but I think it’s a priority to get a load wilted down and in the freezer for later in the year….plus older leaves and stems for plant feed ‘nettle tea’

Cant go wrong with freebies from nature!

(There’s a pile of comfrey nearby -I’ll make comfrey tea for the plants too- and the council tend to come and cut them down before I get motivated….not this year though!)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Useful link, Nicos. Thanks. But yes, I'm a bit stymied. Will have to abandon the lettuce challenge - sorry about that, Bren.

It's all a bit of a shame as I came across some great sources of seeds - special thanks to Zelenina for that - so fingers crossed they will last till next year.

Comment

• Indoor lettuce snoop? Cut and come again I imagine should do ok in lower light levels, but thrive in the cooler parts of the house?
        Just a thought….

Comment

• Good morning all.
          A bright sunny morning and its 10 degs.
          All my plants survived the night with several layers of fleece covering them.

Snoop, so sorry to hear you have had to abandon your plans due to lack of rain.
          Here, we seem to have too much of it.

Nicos, sounds like you made the right decision on the purchase of the mower.
          Did you have a turn on it yet?

Lots of potting on in my greenhouse today so that should keep me busy.
          Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good Morning All Sunny day again here. Have a good day
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Not had a turn on the mower yet bramble - I’ll leave OH to play with it for now, but yes, I sure will have my fair share of playing with it in years to come

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Indoor lettuce snoop? Cut and come again I imagine should do ok in lower light levels, but thrive in the cooler parts of the house?
                Just a thought….
                Unfortunately, the house is designed to keep light out, so a lot of it is really quite dingy. We're doing some building work this year precisely to let more (northern) light in, so this would be a good idea for next year. Thanks.

Comment

I was looking at this for me just the other day with a view to choosing more drought resistant crops
                  https://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/drought-care
                  That link is interesting.

I have a book by Steve solomon called "Gardening Without Irrigation, or Without Much Anyway". In it he reveals he can grow lots of different vegetables in dry conditions, and as in Nicos's link, spacing is key so each individual veg can draw moisture from a huge area. he lived in an area that had no rainfall from late spring till early autumn and for example he spaced cabbages 4 feet apart each way, so each cabbage had 16sq ft of growing room. Very interesting.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

So you are rary and your wife is Mrs rary. Definitely no Mr before your name, rary, but knock off the s and there's a Mr in Mrs. Are you sure you don't want to retract the above comment?
                    I certainly don't want to retract my previous post, just this morning I was doing something, when I was told, that's the wrong way to do that, I pointed out that I had been doing it this way for over sixty years, to which I got the reply, of course your left handed, married for 57 years and she forgot I was left handed
                    Mr. rary
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

If anyone needs an excuse to celebrate today, do feel free to raise a glass to my son - it’s his burpday today
                      I have to go to the post office today - which is almost next to a lovely patisserie- so I might just treat us to a small celebratory birthday cake. And why not….producing our babies was flippin hard work!
                      Yes Nicos, hard work but most enjoyable 😁😁😁

OK I am off now, will be back later if allowed
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post

I certainly don't want to retract my previous post, just this morning I was doing something, when I was told, that's the wrong way to do that, I pointed out that I had been doing it this way for over sixty years, to which I got the reply, of course your left handed, married for 57 years and she forgot I was left handed
                        Mr. rary
                        Out of interest Rary is there anything you find difficult to do or any tools you find difficult to use being lefthanded?

As a fellow leftie I find some, but not all, pull starts nigh on impossible. Also the big two stroke brush cutter/strimmer I really struggled to use when I had managed to start it..... it was just so uncomfortable to use.

Comment

• ^^^^ No gf never have any difficulty working with tools etc., but then being married I have to be adaptable ​​​​​​
                          Actually I have learned to be adaptable, I can do a number of things using both left and right hand, but I wouldn't say I was ambidextrous, as OH says I make a mess of writing, whatever hand I use

Comment

• Started off dull and cold, but finished up with occasional spells of sunshine, once I finished some housework I was out to the garden, where I planted out some peas and leeks, then made some shelving in the greenhouse, first by making a more a substantial shelf for the fan, I have been balancing it on a sheet of plywood sitting on top of some flower pots, now got a better base, I also made a shelf which slides under the potting bench, this will allow me more room for my longer life cell trays which are 30cm X 50cm. Need to go OH is going for a shower and I really need to get her thinking on the cost, it would be far better that we share the shower, we'll for me anyway well enjoy your evening and now that the days are longer enjoy the garden

Comment

• Evening n’alln’all

I like your ideas about the shelves Rary. That should make things easier.

OH used the mower again today…he cut next door’s lawns as they are on holiday At this rate he’ll be heading off along the grass verges next

Comment

Evening n’alln’all

I like your ideas about the shelves Rary. That should make things easier.

OH used the mower again today…he cut next door’s lawns as they are on holiday At this rate he’ll be heading off along the grass verges next
                                Boys and their toys!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X