This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

Very envious about your bramley tree, GF. Worried how many of our new trees will make it through to next spring. We kept them watered, but they lost their leaves very early. Fingers crossed. What have amazed me are the asparagus crowns. Will need to keep them well weeded next year but they have survived on rain alone, and there hasn't been much of that for a long time. Very impressive.

In mourning here this morning. Somewhat more mundanely than most, though, for two formerly pristine linen tablecloths of my mum's that I brought back, one of them with most amazing handmade lace a foot wide around all the edges. That one she probably bought in Spain. So all the way to the UK and back again. But what can you do? They're only things and it would be a shame not to use them. Though I'm guessing from the state of them she never did. Anyway, no point grousing. Sorry for using you all as a punchbag.

Got an absolute million things to do, so better get on with them. The smiles flew off after I ate the sole remaining custard for breakfast. Cook's privilege, I reckon. A bit of a disgrace at breakfast time, but fridge space is at a premium at the moment. Anyway, the smiles enjoyed the smell of vanilla and nutmeg before whooshing off so that Frankie couldn't swipe them.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning all.

Great minds think alike Nicos. Last night my thoughts stayed towards Bay cuttings, so I googled. The general consensus seems to be to take them in mid to late Summer and be prepared for about only 1 in 5 taking. Having said that my tree is also growing in completely the wrong type of soil according to the experts, heavy clay that changes from a bog to concrete and back again every year. It was only a little plant from somewhere like Aldi originally but it is a happy tree now.

It's drizzling here this morning and looks miserable. I washed a few plant pots out last night and am thinking of planting some basil indoors to grow on the windowsill. Has anybody attempted this at this time of year? If so, was it successful? I really like fresh basil, even in Winter......hard to believe that I didn't think I liked it for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
        Strange, Nicos took some rosemary clippings which rooted, and now she's saying that she doesn't know what she did wrong with them. šŸ™
        Just goes to show we are all diffrent
        Raryā€¦the Rosemary took root but not the bay. They were treated exactly the same too.

gfā€¦.interesting - I clearly took them at the wrong time of year!
        Thanks for the heads upā€¦will try again with this lot of clippings.
        Last edited by Nicos; 19-09-2022, 08:17 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Iā€™ve had no success with growing indoor basil in winter gf. I can keep plants going all summer on my kitchen windowsill but around September they start looking grey
          OH takes remaining leaves and makes pesto from them. After that I just buy the odd plant from the supermarket, but they donā€™t last. Iā€™m guessing they donā€™t like the cold chill at night from the window?

No harm in trying thoughā€¦.you may have greener fingers than me

Comment

• Good morning, cold, cloudy but dry today, so busy doing nothing yesterday that I missed posting, after church I contacted son and daughter to let them know we were going out, daughter asked where we were going, so told her we were off SkIing, her answer, you better not be buying a new car, she is getting as bad as her mother, knowing what I am thinking any way she was right I have bought a new car, pick it up on Thursday. Not sure what I will be doing today, I have a load of turf which has been sitting in acompost bin for over a year, I not sure whither to spread it over the top of a veg bed or hold on to it, but first I think I will cut the grass, enjoy your day and smile
            ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹
            Last edited by rary; 19-09-2022, 08:29 AM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post

Raryā€¦the Rosemary took root but not the bay. They were treated exactly the same too.
              Just goes to show, a man needs to work out what a woman means, when she says something šŸ™„šŸ˜
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Keep up Raryā€¦keep up!ā€¦.I imagine youā€™ll get the hang of it in years to comeā€¦.

Comment

• Ahā€¦the youth of today ^^^^ Tis a life skill

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                    . I washed a few plant pots out last night and am thinking of planting some basil indoors to grow on the windowsill. Has anybody attempted this at this time of year? If so, was it successful? I really like fresh basil, even in Winter......hard to believe that I didn't think I liked it for years.
                    Basil seeds don't seem to do very well for me this time of your instead I pinch out the top 3 or 4inch from plants popping them in water then pot on once its got good roots. It does fairly well on a south facing windowsill.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Basil seeds don't seem to do very well for me this time of your instead I pinch out the top 3 or 4inch from plants popping them in water then pot on once its got good roots. It does fairly well on a south facing windowsill.

Thank you. I'll give that a go too. I've got some biggish plants growing on the bathroom windowsill now.....haircut time!

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post

Just goes to show, a man needs to work out what a woman means, when she says something šŸ™„šŸ˜
                        Rary some men just never learn.....and some just don't want to. I used to be able to have Mr GF accompany me to some pretty toxic family gatherings and he could have a pleasant time completely oblivious to all the female bitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Rary some men just never learn.....and some just don't want to. I used to be able to have Mr GF accompany me to some pretty toxic family gatherings and he could have a pleasant time completely oblivious to all the female bitching.
                          Been there, done thatšŸ˜

Comment

• Morning all.

Up early as too much to do to fit into a standard day. Probably won't finish all of it anyway, but with any luck more of it. Nice and quiet at this hour. Even the dogs just want to sleep. They were out barking at something or other late last night, but I don't see that being able to continue for much longer. Soon be time to shut the house up overnight. The kitchen is very chilly. Reminds me, must chase up the firewood man.

Have a good day, everyone.

Comment

• I awoke early too this morning but thought better of getting up when I stuck out a tentative hand to experience the air temperature. In the end I stayed there until 8am. The sun is shining and at the moment my feet are shamelessly sunbathing while I'm drinking coffee. I think I'll set the washer off next in the hope of drying outdoors. If the supermarket is not busy I'll do a grory hop later, if not it can wait until tomorrow.

Comment

• Mornin nā€™allnā€™all

Dull and chilly here- enjoy the sun on your legs gf. Iā€™ve noticed there is still some heat in it at midday if youā€™re out of the chill wind.

Iā€™m thinking of cutting back the lavender later but itā€™ll need me to wear a fleece. Hard to believe it was 31C last Thursday!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X